have got

• 27 replies
have got
« on: December 18, 2013, 03:24:53 PM »
I know it's grammatically correct, but I have always hated "have got". To me, the two words basically have the same meaning when used this way:

I have a cold     -     I got a cold     -     I have got a cold     -     I've got a cold
At least the last one isn't so harmful to the ears

I've had quite a few new students over the years who use this. I prefer to use "have" only. I think it's because I was taught to avoid the three 'g' words used incorrectly or unnecessarily: go / got / good.

"go" as in, I spoke to Joe and he goes, 'let's watch a movie'"

As above, I got . . .  or worse, I gots . . . have just sounds more melodic.

And everything is good. Like there isn't another synonum

Does anyone else encounter this and what do you do. I have gots to know
For you to insult me, first I must value your opinion

Escaped Lunatic

• Finding new ways to conquer the world
    • EscapedLunatic.com
Re: have got
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2013, 03:47:59 PM »
I has gots to hear someone go how good everything is. ahahahahah
I'm pro-cloning and we vote!               Why isn't this card colored green?
EscapedLunatic.com

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2013, 03:48:59 PM »
 offtopic

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2013, 08:52:20 PM »
i think it grates 'coz' we are used to the I'... phrasing.
I'm, I've etc. I have no problem with this tho.
double negatives.... now that theres a dilly of a pickle that i aint never not been disinclined to acquiesce to....eh?!

piglet

• Piglet's House
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2013, 10:49:38 PM »
I have got bothers me a great deal less than many things students say.They tend to use over formal terms and stick them in all over the place,for example seldom, however,on the contrary etc (in Oral Eng I mean), in places where a native speaker would not put them.It's hard to point out exactly what's wrong with these.It's just not colloquial.
For people who like peace and quiet - a phoneless cord

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2013, 04:05:35 AM »
Know what pisses me off? "Firstly." What's wrong with "first"? I know technically there's nothing grammatically wrong with the former, I still correct my students when they write it.

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2013, 06:20:17 AM »
yeah, firstly is firstly on my list.

getting pedantic for a moment, isn't "have got" actually a contraction of "Have gotten", = "have obtained"? If so, then  yes it could have an independant use, but whenever I've heard it, it simply means the same as I have. Which to my ear is just linguistic laziness. Using words without bothering to know what they mean.

I realise that language changes with habit, but "impact" is not a verb, it is a noun with a specific meaning, which is NOT effect (nor, for that matter, have effect upon).

Verbing weirds language.

« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2013, 06:53:53 AM »
my students often ask 'what does "kind of" mean'?
i use this when they ask if they are right about something and i umm and arr because im not sure how critical to be!

oh, they say 'so so' for everything, how are you?, do you like pizza? etc

« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2013, 12:37:24 PM »
I don't think I've ever heard anyone say "I got a cold", only "I caught a cold" or "I have a cold".

In these cases, "I have caught a cold" would work too.  Could these people have mistaken the words "got" for "caught"?

« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2013, 01:18:44 PM »
I don't think I've ever heard anyone say "I got a cold", only "I caught a cold" or "I have a cold".

In these cases, "I have caught a cold" would work too.  Could these people have mistaken the words "got" for "caught"?

No. I only used that phrase as an example. They use it universally for everything;
I have got a pet / she has got a house / we have got an old car / etc

« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2013, 01:42:28 PM »

No. I only used that phrase as an example. They use it universally for everything;
I have got a pet / she has got a house / we have got an old car / etc

Ew.  That's no good then.  I have got a problem with that.

« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2013, 03:45:21 PM »
Grammatically it's not wrong. Some books I've seen still teach it. Like others words as other people have said, it's just not how we speak colloquially. Irregardless of how its taught  bibibibibi  It ain't no good

It just hurts the ears

piglet

• Piglet's House
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2013, 02:47:56 PM »
No it doesn't I have been saying it for 50 years.It all depends where you come from."Gotten" sounds weird to me,although I am getting used to it gradually. The only time I heard the word gotten before meeting Americans was in the set phrase "ill gotten gains"   ahahahahah
For people who like peace and quiet - a phoneless cord

« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2013, 03:18:15 PM »
I guess it's like you said (I think it was you) it's what you're raised with. Though not common, "gotten" isn't foreign to me. I prefer "ill gotten booty"  afafafafaf

It's these things that keep teaching the English so much fun in the Muddled Kingdom

« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2013, 08:05:04 PM »
I always remember that the usage of 'have got' or 'have gotten' is referring to the immediate past to show/emphasize something that has recently been obtained, but its overusage has taken that meaning away and it is used so commonly that there is no difference between have and have got so it has no value anymore and is just an extra word.