Colleague would like a book for studying...

• 2 replies

NATO

Colleague would like a book for studying...
« on: December 18, 2013, 01:13:01 AM »
...foundational theory for writing short essay's/paragraphs etc in English. I have no idea, wondering if anyone does?

Re: Colleague would like a book for studying...
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2013, 03:04:43 AM »
I have a book from the States called Real Essays, Writing for Success in College, Work, and Everyday Life.

http://www.amazon.com/Real-Essays-Readings-Writing-Everyday/dp/0312648081/ref=pd_sim_b_2  (mine is a different edition, but the same book).

I highly recommend this book for anyone who is teaching, or wants to learn, basic writing skills, starting with essays. It is basically what you would use if you were in a remedial sort of writing class at a community college in the States. They start with the real basics -- how to write a thesis, give support. They also go through all the different types of essay writing -- expository, descriptive, process analysis, etc., again with step by step guides and loads and loads of examples. I use this with my high school students and I feel like it has helped them loads, particularly with structure. For someone self studying, something like this with lots of examples would be perfect.

This is assuming he/she already has good basic English skills and is looking purely for a writing course.

NATO

Re: Colleague would like a book for studying...
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2013, 03:46:41 PM »
TLD I think this is exactly the kind of thing she is looking for, thanks so much!

[9:42:08 AM] lyla liu: (coffee) (d) 太谢谢拉 (bow) (bow)