Diary of a Wimpy Kid

• 2 replies
Diary of a Wimpy Kid
« on: November 09, 2013, 08:25:26 PM »
I downloaded and printed this book for my 15 year old class. I didn't know how it was going to work. They loved it so far. We're on page 16 and doing about 2-4 pages per class. They love the story and can relate to the kid. There's a surprising number of good vocabulary, sentence structure, idioms and American customs that keeps their interest.

I will do the whole first book with these guys, its too hard for younger kids and too simplistic for older ones. I was happily surprised. And the illustrations actually help a lot
For you to insult me, first I must value your opinion

gonzo

Re: Diary of a Wimpy Kid
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2013, 08:32:35 PM »
Its been made into a halfway decent movie which you may be able to get with subtitles. There are lots of advocates out there for media as a great language learning tool-I'm one of them.
RIP Phil Stephens.
No static at all.

mlaeux

• How's the water?
    • Fukushima has changed everything.
Re: Diary of a Wimpy Kid
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2013, 07:07:13 AM »
My students can't get enough of that series. I have about 3 small groups that have chosen to do "book commercials" on a different book from the series.

However, I found myself hard pressed to find very many examples of descriptive, sensory details when I held a mini-lesson on the subject. I had to encourage the students to pick another book with better examples.

It's an easy read. Not too challenging. It's too low for my advanced readers, but probably just about right for your group, DD.  agagagagag