Teaching elsewhere

• 35 replies

Tree

• This personal text is false.
Re: Teaching elsewhere
« Reply #30 on: February 17, 2014, 12:54:33 AM »
It looks like that program is a really good fit for you then. I was looking into getting licensed in my home state but apart from some scammy looking programs all of them required in-state teaching observation hours.

Best of luck on your studies!
The greatest and most important problems of life are all in a certain sense insoluble. They can never be solved, but only outgrown.
- Jung

CWL

« Reply #31 on: February 17, 2014, 11:55:05 AM »
I added a Secondary Social Studies Composite Certificate to my initial certification in All-Level Music.  Eventually I taught economics, government, world history and world geography for a couple of years in TX.  Made the coaches mad when they found out I was originally a music guy.  LOL!

gonzo

« Reply #32 on: February 25, 2014, 08:40:45 PM »
Ok Gonzo, a question for YOU...

from a dabble with the Googles, it seems there's a teacher shortage on the horizon in Oz. Some large percentage of teachers in Oz, like half of them or something, are just a few years shy of 55, an age where if they have the right super fund, they'll make more money if they formally retire (and maybe do some casual work to keep their hand in, but possibly not face-to-face teaching). Apparently too in surveys they say their intention is exactly that. So....

would any of us get hired in their place? (And would we have to work in a rural school?) What qualifications would be needed? (And would Malaysia be any different?)

addendum to becster: my hand's up too for hearing about the PGCE, Miss.
Answer in Ye Olde inbox. After a holiday in Malaysia I checked out the employment situation and it seemed pretty OK if you met their criteria. Pay Vs cost of living, housing, hours all factored in, I'd do it if I was younger and singler. Don't get too excited about a teacher shortage in OZ. There's lots of graduates who are cheap to employ and willing to work anywhere in the country. I'm one of the newly retired but got invited back for a part time contract as they couldn't find an ESL replacement. This was $400 a day on top of my $900 a week retirement pension!
RIP Phil Stephens.
No static at all.

« Reply #33 on: February 26, 2014, 11:14:38 PM »
I'm starting to think I might not end up retiring in the home country.

Damn China. A lot of opportunity for relatively undemanding, low level employment. But how do we get up to speed with the rest of the world?
when ur a roamin', do as the settled do o_0

kitano

• Children of the Atom
« Reply #34 on: February 27, 2014, 03:56:19 PM »
Having looked at a lot of jobs over the past few weeks I'm thinking two things

1) qualifications. As long as you are smart and don't just get cheaply ones that would be laughed at by any serious employers, these work...

2) china does have quite a lot of serious jobs and a lot of other places do have crappy jobs as well. I bet many of the people on here came to china without much idea about how employment worked and managed to get good jobs by working hard. After a year you should have contacts to stop you working in the mills and the longer you work the letter it gets.
I am starting to think that unless I get a job with British council or something similar I will have to work in a language mill sort ofplac, but I can handle that

@ calach:  a lot of people retire to places like South Asia or south Europe even if they worked in uk/ oz etc all their lives. Cost of living is ridiculous in English speaking countries and it's getting worse and worse, especially with all of the rich people from places like china, Russia India etc wanting to retire there as well

« Reply #35 on: February 27, 2014, 04:35:24 PM »
I'm starting to think I might not end up retiring in the home country.

Damn China. A lot of opportunity for relatively undemanding, low level employment. But how do we get up to speed with the rest of the world?

Talk about a paradigm, I would like to stay here for a while; low hours, easy work, nice standard of living, rock star status, total control over who we take in etc. Meanwhile, the g/f has been itching to move out to almost anywhere. "She" is getting sick and tired of Chinese whiners, complainers, local gov't, method of doing business, etc.

She asked me the other day where can we make the most money. Due to the type of work we do, I told her China. We focus on kids attempting to study abroad. Since China is in the red zone, the students here have the toughest time and are willing to pay more. I told her we will earn zilch with this kind of business in Canada. They don't need our help. We're making decent money, but we're just starting. We're building something big that I hope to be able to sell off in a few years for a 7-8 digit figure.
For you to insult me, first I must value your opinion