A Hard Rain's Gonna Fall... (THE VISA NIGHTMARE!)

• 545 replies
Re: A Hard Rain's Gonna Fall... (THE VISA NIGHTMARE!)
« Reply #180 on: June 22, 2008, 08:44:36 PM »
My friend has just managed to get a 2 month tourist visa at the chinese embassy in London.  It is a multi entry however so he will have to go to Hong Kong and then come back in but at least he can stay in China for 2 months.

« Reply #181 on: June 22, 2008, 09:36:48 PM »
LT, you should call up the Chinese Embassy and ask them what sort of medical would be recognized by the Embassy. Then have it done and put a verification stamp at the Embassy and fax it/scan it and send it to your employer. I think it should work - you are abroad and they have to accept the paper accepted by the Embassy.

« Reply #182 on: June 22, 2008, 10:10:35 PM »
Thanks for the advise Cheeks. I think I'll do that.
Courage is not the absense of fear, but rather the judgement that something else is more important than fear.

Escaped Lunatic

• Finding new ways to conquer the world
    • EscapedLunatic.com
« Reply #183 on: June 23, 2008, 08:54:46 AM »
Send two email to the visa service I used on my last trip asking about multi-entry visas for next year.  So far, no answer.   mmmmmmmmmm
I'm pro-cloning and we vote!               Why isn't this card colored green?
EscapedLunatic.com

NOYB

Re: A Hard Rain's Gonna Fall...
« Reply #184 on: June 23, 2008, 03:14:29 PM »
I am getting a Spouse visa. Even that is proving a challenge

Are you talking about the elusive 'D' visa or is this the spouse 'L' i have heard about.

The "D" visa has been all but totally eliminated.  You must mean the permanent residence permit.  I am sure Raoul is talking about the "L" visa available for spouses of Chinese citizens or permanent residents.

NOYB

Re: A Hard Rain's Gonna Fall...
« Reply #185 on: June 23, 2008, 03:19:24 PM »
New York Times coverage:
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/04/24/world/asia/24china.html?_r=1&ref=todayspaper&oref=slogin

Note that they also mention police cracking down on Beijing bars where drugs are sometimes found. One might want to avoid such places, or exercise more caution if you do go.

Two weekends ago the police raided Pure Girl, a group of bars on Sanlitun Hou Jie notorious for drugs and fake booze. Most of the Africans I know are now avoiding Sanlitun like the plague. In a lot of parts of Beijing being black these days is enough to to get you beat up and arrested. About a month ago an African was beaten to death in the Wudaokou police station. Keep in mind most of the Africans in WDK are actually foreign students.

And the majority of those aAfricans who are foreign students sell drugs or run the Nigerian 419 Fraud here.  Screw them.  No need for a pity party.

NOYB

« Reply #186 on: June 23, 2008, 03:34:29 PM »
So does this mean that those people now here on spouse visas won't be able to get divorced? RD and his typhoon are forever wed?

You can get divorced and it will not effect the current spousal L visa, but you will not be able to get it renewed.

Raoul F. Duke

• Lovable Rogue
  • "Be specific if you order the mushrooms!"
« Reply #187 on: June 23, 2008, 06:07:01 PM »
NOYB is on the nosey. My Spouse visa is an L. And it do NOT come with a Work Permit...
And he agrees with what I stated before...a divorce doesn't instantly end a Spouse visa, you just have to find a new way to get documents when your current visa ends.

So: You give me visa, I love you long time. ahahahahah
"Vicodin and dumplings...it's a great combination!" (Anthony Bourdain, in Harbin)

"Here in China we aren't just teaching...
we're building the corrupt, incompetent, baijiu-swilling buttheads of tomorrow!" (Raoul F. Duke)

Ruth

« Reply #188 on: June 23, 2008, 11:19:28 PM »
So you can get her a visa to the US and she can get you a visa to stay in China.  Everyone is happy.
If you want to walk on water, you have to get out of the boat.

« Reply #189 on: June 23, 2008, 11:22:38 PM »
So you can get her a visa to the US and she can get you a visa to stay in China.  Everyone is happy.

Getting a visa to the US is, as far as I understand it, not so easy these days. Not sure about the happy joy-joy feeling experienced by everyone is really going to happen...
"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination." Oscar Wilde.

"It's all oojah cum spiffy". Bertie Wooster.
"The stars are God's daisy chain" Madeleine Bassett.

Raoul F. Duke

• Lovable Rogue
  • "Be specific if you order the mushrooms!"
« Reply #190 on: June 23, 2008, 11:31:54 PM »
Yeah...it not easy.
And I'm not too sure I want to send the Typhoon to America.
Despite all my misgivings and worries for it, I do still love my country.  uuuuuuuuuu ahahahahah blblblblbl
"Vicodin and dumplings...it's a great combination!" (Anthony Bourdain, in Harbin)

"Here in China we aren't just teaching...
we're building the corrupt, incompetent, baijiu-swilling buttheads of tomorrow!" (Raoul F. Duke)

« Reply #191 on: June 24, 2008, 04:49:17 AM »
I got to go to HK 3 times for EF to get my Z visa right. I'm very happy about that, not so happy to be a slave to the man!  But it's all good I guess, at least I work in a corporate school so we are somewhat organized, mostly...

The last 3 teachers that they tried to hire locally in BJ had to fly back to their home countries.

My local police have visited my happy little hutong a few times looking for me and my roommates to check our VISAs on orders from the mythical all powerful "higher ups".  Good thing we drink beer and eat chuar with them regularly!
The things we touch have no permanence.

« Reply #192 on: June 25, 2008, 08:48:00 AM »
I guess I had enough of the "corrupt, incompetent, baijiu-swilling buttheads" and left China months ago. When Thailand started playing games with Visas, I was out of there, too.
Malaysia has been great for a while and I go to Singapore tomorrow to check that out.
I'd recommend to anyone that has a choice, don't live in a country where the Visa situation is hostile or unstable unless you are ready to leave at any time.

technolust

• Banana
« Reply #193 on: June 25, 2008, 08:58:11 AM »
Well, I received my permit etc. from China on monday, went to the embassy tuesday-morning. I don't know what it's like in the rest of the world, but here in The Netherlands you can't make appointments or anything like that, it's first come - first served every day. I guess they do the paperwork in the afternoon, because they're only available from 9.00 to 12.00 in the morning.

So I wrestled my way through the morning rush-hour traffic and arrived very early, expecting to be ridiculed by the guards, but there were at least 20 people waiting in line outside the gate already. Before 9.00am the line had grown to about 50. For the hour or so I spent in the embassy, the line never got shorter.

Of course all my paperwork was in order, except I hadn't enough fotocopies. So they sent me to the lobby upstairs, at the equivalent of 5rmb per copy and everybody needing extra copies I know how the embassy staff pay for their tea. I asked nicely and my visa would be rushed through (at an extra charge, of course) even though on the phone I was told it wouldn't be possible. I'll be in line at 8.15am again to pick up my passport with pretty red stamps in it wednesday, then it's off to China on friday!

Not everyone fared so well, one guy in front off me hadn't filled out an application form (didn't even know he needed one), another had no hotel reservations for his trip, a third got all irritated from waiting. C'mon people, this is the big leagues of beauracracy!
Working for the man, so you don't have to!

« Reply #194 on: June 25, 2008, 02:38:17 PM »
technolust, sounds just like Russian Embassy  ahahahahah Congrats and have a safe trip to China.