iTunes Madness

• 10 replies

Raoul F. Duke

• Lovable Rogue
  • "Be specific if you order the mushrooms!"
iTunes Madness
« on: October 20, 2008, 08:14:42 PM »
After a long bleak time, today I _finally_ got my main storage disk back from the shop. It has all my photos, music, documents...the real heart of my data.

Of course, iTunes is now completely haywire. I'd kept the iTunes library stuff on C:, which did NOT change...but apparently iTunes got opened while the data was gone and things are pretty much blanked out now.

The original MP3 files are in 2 different places...one folder of Limewire downloads, and another of rips from my own CDs.

So...how can I get my songs back into iTunes, without having to manually hunt down all these thousands of songs one at a #%$^$& time? asasasasas
"Vicodin and dumplings...it's a great combination!" (Anthony Bourdain, in Harbin)

"Here in China we aren't just teaching...
we're building the corrupt, incompetent, baijiu-swilling buttheads of tomorrow!" (Raoul F. Duke)

Raoul F. Duke

• Lovable Rogue
Re: iTunes Madness
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2008, 01:09:01 AM »
I think it's possible that it would help a lot if I could reassign the new drive back to its original label as F:; that name has now been taken by my first DVD drive and the data hard drive is now G:. How can I do a switcheroo on the drive names?
"Vicodin and dumplings...it's a great combination!" (Anthony Bourdain, in Harbin)

we're building the corrupt, incompetent, baijiu-swilling buttheads of tomorrow!" (Raoul F. Duke)

Raoul F. Duke

• Lovable Rogue
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2008, 01:30:54 AM »
Hmph. Some help YOU lot are. akakakakak

No, seriously, I figured out how to go in and restore my disk drive configuration back to the same as it was Before The Fall.
When I did so, all my iTunes songs snapped into position as if by magic. axaxaxaxax

Problem solved.
Damn, I'm God. ahahahahah
kkkkkkkkkk

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2008, 01:32:08 AM »
you are now officially a tech 'geek' bjbjbjbjbj bjbjbjbjbj agagagagag

Nolefan

• Lord of Avalon
  • 八九不离十
    • Catania Vibe
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2008, 01:36:29 AM »

take a look at a fantastic and often forgotten feature of itunes "keep my music folder organized" under EDIT >PREFERENCES>ADVANCED

what this does is it copies the files into the itunes library and keep everything organized by artist>album. It's a life saver when changing computers, or trying to give songs to friends etc...
alors régressons fatalement, eternellement. Des débutants, avec la peur comme exutoire à l'ignorance et Alzheimer en prof d'histoire de nos enfances!
- Random food, music and geek tales from the Catania, Sicily: http://ctvibe.com

Raoul F. Duke

• Lovable Rogue
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2008, 01:52:09 AM »
Yeah...I'd had that set, but the destination was on the drive that had to be replaced. Apparently when iTunes was opened while the F: drive was gone, stuff got seriously scrambled around. With the drive replaced, and reconfigured as F: again, it's all back just the way it was. bfbfbfbfbf

Spaghetti

• Goo Goo Muck
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2008, 12:23:24 AM »
Boss,

Have you considered looking into an I-tunes alternative? There are a few out there that do everything that I-tunes does without a lot of the hassles. Some don't require reformatting of an I-pod, and they work like I-tunes but with more flexibility and user friendliness.
"Most young people were getting jobs in big companies, becoming company men. I wanted to be an individual."
Haruki Murakami

Raoul F. Duke

• Lovable Rogue
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2008, 01:16:28 AM »
I have.

I'll be the first to tell you that iTunes has the WORST file management of any music player I've encountered yet. It's a major pain in the ass...much more so if you're trying to use it in a DJ setting. asasasasas

What keeps me with it is the playback quality...IMHO iTunes has the best audio quality I've seen so far. I've taken MP3 files and played them, back-to-back on iTunes and other audio packages. To my ears at least, iTunes was consistently the clear winner. I'll pay the extra futzing about for the better sound.

The fact that I have also acquired an iPod (which also IMHO delivers clearly superior sound) pretty much keeps me married to iTunes, at least for some time to come.

Nolefan

• Lord of Avalon
  • 八九不离十
    • Catania Vibe
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2008, 01:44:56 AM »
I have.

I'll be the first to tell you that iTunes has the WORST file management of any music player I've encountered yet. It's a major pain in the ass...much more so if you're trying to use it in a DJ setting. asasasasas

u gotta be kidding me!!!  aoaoaoaoao aoaoaoaoao aoaoaoaoao iTunes has the best file management i've ever encountered anywhere...
it keeps everything nice and tidy when i can't do that... and most DJs love the shit out of it with playlist ability, fades, etc..
alors régressons fatalement, eternellement. Des débutants, avec la peur comme exutoire à l'ignorance et Alzheimer en prof d'histoire de nos enfances!
- Random food, music and geek tales from the Catania, Sicily: http://ctvibe.com

Raoul F. Duke

• Lovable Rogue
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2008, 02:43:49 AM »
Yes, but those Apple fiends got to your brain a long time ago. uuuuuuuuuu

I actually found WinAmp a lot more flexible for on-the-fly playlisting etc., and I've been pretty underwhelmed by iTunes' effects...but iTunes just plain sounds better. bjbjbjbjbj

Spaghetti

• Goo Goo Muck
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2008, 03:19:48 AM »
Yeah, I'm a Winamp guy. The versatility and user friendliness and the multitude of add ons and aps for it blows away I-Tunes. I don't find I-Tunes to sound better, though. I find it comparable to Winamp in that respect. Some tweaking of presets and a good sound system/sound card and you're good to go. If I knew where I'd be spending the next few years* I'd invest in a tube-based sound system for that wonderfully warm sound my system back home had.

*The transient nature of this line of work is a big negative.
"Most young people were getting jobs in big companies, becoming company men. I wanted to be an individual."
Haruki Murakami