Nasty side of people who marry for a visa

• 3 replies

Pashley

• My page at Citizendium
Nasty side of people who marry for a visa
« on: November 10, 2010, 05:09:52 AM »
"Are a small number of immigrant wives faking domestic abuse to stay in the country?"

http://www.slate.com/id/2273848/
Who put a stop payment on my reality check?

BrandeX

Re: Nasty side of people who marry for a visa
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2010, 11:06:47 PM »
I think Raoul could say something about this, it sounds similar to the circumstances he has written about here in the forum, as having happened with him.
The worst result of this would come in the future, if it becomes widely abused by immigrants, such clauses that protect real victims may be removed.

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2010, 11:19:36 PM »
I've heard of cases like this on other China related forums. I think it does happen. Since abuse is hard to verify, unfortunately it is easy for frauds to take advantage of this law.

Internet dating has played no small part in the rise of visa fraud. Loads of people apply for immigration visas for partners they have only met a handful of times. It is really hard to judge someone's character based on e-mails, Skype, and a few short visits -- this would go for both the victims of fraud as well as actual abuse victims.

kitano

• Children of the Atom
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2010, 04:01:56 PM »
the whole marrying over the internet thing is really scary because of course it could be some wonderful opportunity for people who have been unlucky in life blah blah blah but it seems more often than not that it gets two selfish people with vastly different expectations together who will resent each other for years

with hilarious consequences