(all the) Tea in China

• 3 replies
(all the) Tea in China
« on: April 06, 2012, 08:23:17 PM »
Hi,

I'm a recent convert to grean tea, finding it to be a nice mild way to keep me going through the day, as opposed to guzzling a pot of coffee by lunch time like I used to.

Anyway, I like 'Tie Guanyin', Iron Guanyin (Buddha?)as a green tea, though I'm open to suggestions.

I tried Pu-er before, but it's a bit like drinking turf-water.

Anwyay, what do you know about tea and how it should be drunk? Are there any varieties/brands that you'd recommend?

agagagagag
两只老外, 两只老外,跑得快,跑得快,
一个是老酒鬼,一个是老色鬼,真奇怪, 真奇怪

Pashley

• My page at Citizendium
Re: (all the) Tea in China
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2012, 09:36:17 PM »
I'm a recent convert to grean tea, finding it to be a nice mild way to keep me going through the day, as opposed to guzzling a pot of coffee by lunch time like I used to.

Anyway, I like 'Tie Guanyin', Iron Guanyin (Buddha?)as a green tea, though I'm open to suggestions.

I tried Pu-er before, but it's a bit like drinking turf-water.

There are three main types, plus many lesser ones & various teas made from flowers etc. See http://wikitravel.org/en/China#Tea for a decent rundown.

Tie Guanyin is an oolong (semi-fermented) tea and comes from Anxi, near Quanzhou in Fujian. The other two famous oolongs are Da Hong Bao from Wuyi Shan, also in Fujian, and one from Taiwan. If you like Tie Guanyin, try da hong bao. The Taiwan one does get imported here but is neither common nor cheap.

Guangyin is a Goddess or a Bodhisattva, depending who you ask.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guanyin
Who put a stop payment on my reality check?

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2012, 10:30:39 PM »
For tea, buy a glass pot with the screen insert in the top. Or toss some leaves in a cup of very hot water for about ten minutes or whatever suits you. They say (and I believe it's true) the first brew has most of the caffeine so if you don't want the caffeine rush, pour off most of the first brew then just add hot water and drink it again and again and again.

Or, using a water bottle, toss some tea into very hot water. Let it sit for ten to fifteen minutes and drink. Refill it before it's empty. You can refill it with the same tea many times depending on your taste.

If you're like me (I hope not) don't drink it at night as it keeps me up until 6 a.m. or later.

For what it's worth, I like oolong tea. I can't recommend any brands as my Chinese friends usually buy it for me, but I avoid the cheapest teas. Buy something in the middle and you're probably good.

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2012, 03:11:35 PM »
good ideas and links gentlemen, I shall have to check out the Da Hong Pao.

i also like Jasmine tea, which has the kick of green tea with a little bit of flower sweetness too.
两只老外, 两只老外,跑得快,跑得快,
一个是老酒鬼,一个是老色鬼,真奇怪, 真奇怪