When The Psychedelic Cactus Blooms Again On The Lone Prair-Ee

• 13 replies

Raoul F. Duke

• Lovable Rogue
  • "Be specific if you order the mushrooms!"
A couple of weeks ago I found myself at Suzhou's cool Bird and Flower Market, basically an enormous open-air plant and pet market with a few other oddities thrown in. I was there for a Spring walk and to help a friend buy his first bonsai. (I'm a treeviate from way back, and know my way around a pair of Masakuni knob cutters...)

While nosing around the other stalls, I couldn't help but notice, to my startled amazement, a messenger from Mescalito:

This is peyote, Lophophora williamsii. A native of the desert areas of Mexico and the American Southwest. What the Native Americans use (note present tense) when they want a direct conversation with God. Best-known natural source of mescaline. Very, very weird stuff indeed.

Especially among the other houseplants at a local plant market in East Central China.

I obviously couldn't leave this hazard out to threaten the public safety; as a professional I was obliged to make sure it was stored safely and securely. So, I bought it and brought it home. Around 20 kuai. It's put out a number of flowers since I had it; if another one comes I'll get a photo. You're only seeing a dry remnant of the blossom here.

I'll separate the 3 buds you see here and try to get more going. And yeah, maybe someday...  iiiiiiiiii

Or maybe not. This is pretty evil stuff to chew...  aaaaaaaaaa
« Last Edit: September 09, 2008, 01:05:46 PM by Raoul Duke »
"Vicodin and dumplings...it's a great combination!" (Anthony Bourdain, in Harbin)

"Here in China we aren't just teaching...
we're building the corrupt, incompetent, baijiu-swilling buttheads of tomorrow!" (Raoul F. Duke)

George

• My view of China
Re: When The Psychedelic Cactus Blooms Again On The Lone Prair-Ee
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2007, 08:31:53 AM »
I was raised properly. I have no knowledge of these evils.
The higher they fly, the fewer!    http://neilson.aminus3.com/

Raoul F. Duke

• Lovable Rogue
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2007, 09:02:36 AM »
Now, George. If you're going to start talking about the things you have no knowledge of, I'll have to start a whole new forum category just to accommodate it all.  pppppppppp
« Last Edit: May 02, 2007, 10:43:34 AM by Raoul Duke »
"Vicodin and dumplings...it's a great combination!" (Anthony Bourdain, in Harbin)

we're building the corrupt, incompetent, baijiu-swilling buttheads of tomorrow!" (Raoul F. Duke)

George

• My view of China
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2007, 04:27:21 PM »
I have no knowledge of EVILS!!!

Raoul F. Duke

• Lovable Rogue
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2007, 07:09:33 PM »
I suppose you consider personal hygiene to be 'evil', then.  uuuuuuuuuu

There's nothing evil about peyote, George, except perhaps for the taste. Among the native tribes who live in its range it is considered a legitimate religious sacrament.

George

• My view of China
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2007, 08:00:37 PM »
Among the native tribes who live in its range it is considered a legitimate religious sacrament.
Uh-Oh!! back to religion are we???? asasasasas

Raoul F. Duke

• Lovable Rogue
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2007, 08:35:10 PM »
Well, what the heck. You ARE allowed to have one or more of those here, long as ya don't go 'round trying to nail it onto the other kids.

AMonk

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2007, 11:50:53 PM »

There's nothing evil about peyote, George, except perhaps for the taste. Among the native tribes who live in its range it is considered a legitimate religious sacrament.

And marijuana is the "sacred plant" to Rastafarians!!
Moderation....in most things...

Raoul F. Duke

• Lovable Rogue
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2007, 12:42:57 AM »
Yeah, but you wouldn't want to eat peyote every night after work. Regardless of motivation, this is a plant that should be approached with respect...

« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2007, 02:20:01 AM »
hey bossman, hola amigo, que tal?   carryann here long time no blah blah blah, anyhoo here I am just back from a  month in Meehiko (and  a week in Vancouver  - now that
« Last Edit: May 03, 2007, 03:35:00 AM by carryann »
choose carefully

« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2007, 02:25:21 AM »
Congrats on new website rah rah rah  and I have no idea how to post  a photo here -please advise and no smart comments about how that's already been covered - can't find that post anywhere.

Kisses to Con when you see him (and you too) yes off topic  - I know  - I ve been watching!
choose carefully

Raoul F. Duke

• Lovable Rogue
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2007, 03:15:47 AM »
I think we may have a navigational error here. I made a few myself...

I'll move this conversation to a private message!
But it's damn fine to see CarryAnn again.
Sorry about the incompetent boob we were both working for... llllllllll

« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2007, 03:26:40 AM »
Pfft   who gives a toss about incompetent boobs (world's full of 'em apparently) ..  now what I really want to know is how do I post a photo? bfbfbfbfbf
« Last Edit: May 03, 2007, 03:28:32 AM by carryann »
choose carefully

George

• My view of China
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2007, 03:46:54 AM »
now what I really want to know is how do I post a photo?
I thought you just did!! Welcome back. Where are you now?

« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2007, 04:00:38 AM »
Thanks George.   Raoul attended to my immediate (photo posting) need and I'm happy to say i respnded positively but who wouldn't eh? . For the rest see my link here http://raoulschinasaloon.com/index.php?topic=4.msg1988#new
choose carefully