Chinese visa in 'punched' passport: consequences?

• 4 replies

ting

Chinese visa in 'punched' passport: consequences?
« on: June 19, 2009, 04:08:33 PM »
Getting a short visa extension soon, L type.  Then need a new usa passport for traveling.  Although some countries permit the old visa, china will have none of that.  Must return (probably to local psb) and get visa changed over to new passport.  Am getting squeezed for time, so wonder if  i 'forget' or pled ignorance about the situation when i departed 中国, what would be the reaction at the border. Can carry old and new passports.  Any first hand knowledge?  Also, do you know if i really do need to return to visa issuing  station, or could i go to any psb, like in another province?  As others have said, certainly seems like china does not appreciate foreigners.  see senor boogie woogies comments

Raoul F. Duke

• Lovable Rogue
  • "Be specific if you order the mushrooms!"
Re: Chinese visa in 'punched' passport: consequences?
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2009, 04:31:25 PM »
I honestly don't know on the departure question...anything is possible. Not sure I'd want to rely upon their inclination to NOT assess us a fine... bibibibibi

For just about any operation involving a visa, it is required to return to the issuing city. Western systems are geared toward convenience and mobility; Chinese systems are geared toward keeping you tied to a specific locale.

If you read some 19th- and 20th-Century Chinese history, you might get an idea of why we aren't properly "appreciated" in China. We, uh...were not very nice folks. oooooooooo
"Vicodin and dumplings...it's a great combination!" (Anthony Bourdain, in Harbin)

"Here in China we aren't just teaching...
we're building the corrupt, incompetent, baijiu-swilling buttheads of tomorrow!" (Raoul F. Duke)

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2009, 05:03:37 PM »
I have had the situation a couple of times now where i had to get a new passport but still had a few months left on my visa. I traveled in and out of the borders at hongkong using both old and new passports, they just check the visa in the old passport and put the stamp in the new one.

When i got the new passport i told the embassy about the existing visa and they just didn't punch that page on my passport.
The future's so bright i gotta wear shades

ting

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2009, 10:41:53 PM »
thanks guys.  here's the next question.  the new visa says valid until 15 july.  can i depart china on that day?  seems to me that will be ok.  the issue date was 16 june, so that will be 30 days.  sounds good!

Raoul F. Duke

• Lovable Rogue
  • "Be specific if you order the mushrooms!"
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2009, 10:50:14 PM »
You're OK through and including the expiration date. It's AFTER that date you gotta worry about...
"Vicodin and dumplings...it's a great combination!" (Anthony Bourdain, in Harbin)

"Here in China we aren't just teaching...
we're building the corrupt, incompetent, baijiu-swilling buttheads of tomorrow!" (Raoul F. Duke)