Sochi

• 59 replies
Re: Sochi
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2014, 05:21:10 AM »
The British coverage is so negative

I know that we don't compete in the Winter Olympics and we aren't friends with Russia but it does seem a bit overboard

I love the slalom and that crazy sport where they get on a little trolley and go head first down a long tunnel, I think at the last olympics we had a guy who got a medal in suicide trolley

Nah, bobsled they are in a team and in a sled, there's one where it's just one person going head first

You said trolley - that's a bobsled. You never mentioned one person going down head first

Luge and skeleton are what Just Like Mr Benn described above  

bibibibibi

Choose you words better. If you don't know what it is, I have an idea - look it up

/sheesh
For you to insult me, first I must value your opinion

« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2014, 09:10:26 PM »
http://deadspin.com/the-dogs-of-sochi-1516493208

Olympic coverage drinking game: see a dog, take a shot.

Dog in the Opening Ceremony? Two shots.
when ur a roamin', do as the settled do o_0

« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2014, 12:23:47 AM »
http://deadspin.com/the-dogs-of-sochi-1516493208

Olympic coverage drinking game: see a dog, take a shot.

Dog in the Opening Ceremony? Two shots.

If you notice, the dogs did not appear dangerous or in danger. They also seemed healthy. So listen Mr. Micheal Vick, if you try anything, I'll shoot you

BTW, I recall not seeing any stray animals in Beijing during the '08 games. And the restaurants had plenty of meat

mmmmmmmmmm

There were lots of soup places next to laundry shops too  :wtf:

« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2014, 11:15:57 PM »
There are 4 legitimate contenders for the gold: Canada (of course), the US, Russia and Sweden as the dark horse. It's hard to believe one of these teams won't win a medal of any kind in hockey.

Team Sweden just took a hit, Henrik Sedin is out

Martin St. Louis is going in place of Steven Stamkos, not a bad replacement for Canada

« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2014, 03:38:42 AM »
One of the the Team China girl's short track relay team skaters was a classmate with my g/f. Same grade, different class. She also went to Vancouver 4 years ago

« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2014, 04:14:32 PM »
Checking out the Canada - Finland girl's hockey game. The Canucks received a penalty in the 2nd period for "too many men on the ice"!   mmmmmmmmmm

Did I mention it was girl's hockey?  Any men on the ice is too many.

Canada
Girls
Hockey

the best things in life  akakakakak

« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2014, 02:01:25 PM »
Germany with a commanding lead at 6 gold medals.
Canada second with 4 gold (4 silver)
Norway - 4 gold, 3 silver
Netherlands - 4 gold, 2 silver
US - 3 and 1

The overall winner looks to need close to 20 (probably 18 golds) Canada had 15 in 2010 but there were fewer events.  Also, the top 5 teams seem to be distancing themselves from the pack

As for the woman's US-Canada game - awesome! The gold medal game will be another highlight reel. As of late, the Canadian girls have the edge, but that means zero right now. Its like a series of coin flips, the last event does not determine the next one. The only thing we know is that its going to be rough, tough and close

psd4fan

• 在哈尔滨黑龙江中国
    • WillExcel TESOL
« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2014, 04:41:42 PM »
Loved the Canada USA  game last night and not just for the final score. It was great hockey and we loved watching it.

Stil

• ChangshaNotes
« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2014, 03:26:08 AM »
Very good hockey.

« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2014, 04:38:12 PM »
is there any hockey on CCTV5? My wife has been watching almost non-stop and hasn't seen any. I've all but given up.

« Reply #25 on: February 14, 2014, 04:59:49 PM »
is there any hockey on CCTV5? My wife has been watching almost non-stop and hasn't seen any. I've all but given up.

Since China doesn't field a team, they won't show it. They might present the gold medal game, but we must wait until then to see. Since both male and female curling teams are doing well, we see it non-stop. I guess every country for the most part wants to showcase their own and I'm okay with that. But I wish CCTV5 would also show a medalling event regardless of country as opposed to the 8th showing of a Chinese girl finishing 12th. They're not too bad at this because there has been few Chinese successes this year. And most people here have little understanding of so many events.

We watched the debacle last night in the short track race where the Brit took out the other two top girls. The Chinese girl was so far behind, she wasn't affected by the landslide of bodies. She skated around and easily won the gold. Now, that's not her fault and she won, good for her. It's part of the game and you accept what happens good or bad. However, the Chinese announcers not once said anything in relation to sportsmanship like "I'm glad we won, but, it would have been better . . .  " or "It's too bad about the other three . . . " 

Not a peep

« Reply #26 on: February 14, 2014, 05:31:50 PM »
I get a kick out of ESPN's medal table. Only the US count total medals to determine the ranking. The IOC and every other NOC count differently: Start with the number of golds. Germany is first right now as the only team with 7, three more than anyone else. There are 4 countries tied with 4 golds, so the next criteria is the silver. Canada has 4, whereas Norway and Netherlands have 3 each and the US with 2. Norway has 1 more bronze, so they take third followed by the Dutch, then USA.

Rightly or wrongly, thats's how they have chosen to do it and its been that way since 776 BC. Okay, not that long, but since the beginning of the modern games. Its best or easier if the team with the most gold also have the highest aggregate. In 2008, both China and America claimed victory. China had the edge in gold, 50-36 and the Americans took the total, 110-100. It would have been more fun if it was the other way around. I wonder which of the two would admit the other was the top team. (my guess is probably the 'mercans, but we'll never know)

psd4fan

• 在哈尔滨黑龙江中国
    • WillExcel TESOL
« Reply #27 on: February 14, 2014, 08:27:04 PM »
CCTV 5 showed the gold medal men's game last year. This we got an upgraded HD package which includes CCTV 5+HD.
They show 2-3 NHL games a week plus I've watched several games from Sochi.
Will cost us an extra 780 RMB per year but TOTALLY worth it.

Nolefan

• Lord of Avalon
  • 八九不离十
    • Catania Vibe
« Reply #28 on: February 15, 2014, 12:31:41 AM »

They are streaming the games live on their website
http://2014sochi.cntv.cn
alors régressons fatalement, eternellement. Des débutants, avec la peur comme exutoire à l'ignorance et Alzheimer en prof d'histoire de nos enfances!
- Random food, music and geek tales from the Catania, Sicily: http://ctvibe.com

kitano

• Children of the Atom
« Reply #29 on: February 15, 2014, 12:43:01 AM »
It isn't much fun to watch but the cross country event is so awesome and such a testament to why men are brilliant and stupid at the same time. crossing miles of frozen countryside to shoot at stuff for NO REASON AT ALL