Stupid students, I mean the dumb as a bag of rocks kind

• 56 replies

BrandeX

Re: Stupid students, I mean the dumb as a bag of rocks kind
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2013, 01:54:23 AM »
http://youtu.be/k__2_Am3a9w

Part 1.
Continue on to part 2 and 3 if you want to see all of it. Some people aren't aware of certain realities in some schools in China.

Monkey King

« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2013, 02:42:26 AM »
Dear oh dear...every part of that was painful...he had obviously lost the students a long time ago and turning a camera on them and doing a 'joke' easy lesson was the last straw...and bringing a camera into a meeting with the DEAN?  Geez...

Having taught at a low tier college, I actually have a tiny bit of sympathy, but mainly the FT guy comes off as an arrogant dick...it's like a training video of how not to behave in China.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2013, 06:51:00 PM by MK »

« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2013, 03:00:35 AM »
Yeah, that was painful to watch.  Between the individual video screens (hiding places), the teacher's rapport with the students (zero) and the video taping (really?), I'm surprised any students showed up.  I've been frustrated like that many times, but you have to try different things that lessen the pressure, not exasperate it.

« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2013, 03:07:44 AM »
Ok so I read more of the teacher's explanatory note, and it seems that he lists many ways that he did, in fact try to get through to the students.  Not being there, I'll take his word on it.  Some classes are just going to suck.  He was wrong to videotape it though, and to get defensive with the dean, but I can see someone's frustration building up.  Videotaping yourself arguing with the dean and interrupting the meeting is always going to come off badly.

Guangzhou Writer

• Can use chopsticks
« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2013, 05:26:56 AM »
My last high school was almost that bad. The students evaluate the teachers for the teacher's bonus, and the same for the head teachers' bonus. The students are asked 10 questions along the lines of, "Is the teacher's lesson properly prepared for class?" As if they would know. The dean refuses to enforce any rules and if the teacher does, basic stuff like not coming in late every day and making noise when entering late, the students complain and give him low ratings.

It's simply a way of trying to put all the burden of the school's problems, which is 99% the incompetent managers, on the teacher. All they can ever say is that they can't refuse any paying students and they can't discipline any paying students because they won't come back.

Actually the dean in the video is much more responsive than the one I had or his subordinates. I finished my contract and moved on.

old34

« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2013, 05:57:40 AM »
I, too, thought the Chinese dean was trying to be reasonable given she was "hosting" a meeting of FTs at her school. Whatever.

Where he failed:

Tip #1 for all teachers in China: Never give something in writing (Handout or PPT) to Chinese students while at the same time trying to engage them in Spoken English.

Monkeedance (his chosen name) had students glued to their classroom monitors, effectively shutting off anything he tried to say.

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad. - B. O'Driscoll.
TIC is knowing that, in China, your fruit salad WILL come with cherry tomatoes AND all slathered in mayo. - old34.

Monkey King

« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2013, 06:58:05 PM »
Quote from: Guangzhou Writer
The students are asked 10 questions along the lines of, "Is the teacher's lesson properly prepared for class?" As if they would know.

Yup, one that was once used by my classes had questions about whether the teacher was using "up to date teaching methodologies/theories"...again, as if business students at a low tier private college would be able to answer this fairly, and also I was trying to use communicative and task based stuff and they hated it! 

There were also questions about "using the latest technology in class" or some such when we were stuck in classrooms with a blackboard, fixed chairs and desks and not much else (no computers or projectors, no internet, certainly nothing supplied by the school).

And this was how your 'performance' was graded...I know, just develop a good rapport with students and you'll be fine....but it's easy to see how teachers get frustrated with this kind of stuff.

« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2013, 07:07:50 PM »
Okay, I just finished a class with 10-12 year olds. We played "I Spy" but it's not our first time. Often instead of 'something that is green,' we sometimes use other adjectives. The kids have turns too. Today I did something that is beautiful. Einstein's response was, "is it Ellie's mother?" Meanwhile his   mother is right beside him!

Everybody else chose their own mothers. His mom just rolled her eyes
For you to insult me, first I must value your opinion

Monkey King

« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2013, 11:28:04 PM »
Well, is Ellie's mother a milf yummy mummy?  Maybe this kid was actually a bit ahead of his peers...

kitano

• Children of the Atom
« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2013, 03:50:10 AM »
I felt for the guy in the video but he was making a lot of mistakes as well. The monitors aren't his fault, I've had to do classes in computer rooms and it's ridiculous for so many reasons. They can hide, you can't put them in groups, they have a screen in front of them while they are meant to be doing oral lessons. That wasn't his fault.
His idea of asking the class questions and expecting someone to put their hand up and start speaking is a mistake that we must have all made. Unless it's a really good class and they all love you then the best case scenario is one or two people replying to everything
Harassing the dean isn't a good idea. He did have a fair point but he either hasn't been in China very long or isn't very switched on to how things work. That's one of the 101 things for China, confrontation and putting people on the spot never gets you anywhere (the Chinese way of sucking it up and gaming the system doesn't get you anywhere either but that's by the by lol)

It was quite interesting how he seemed to have a good grasp of the 'philosophy' of his university and his role there but despite that he felt the need to cause trouble in the meeting

Think I'll watch part 2 and 3

Monkey King

« Reply #25 on: June 24, 2013, 04:05:18 AM »
Quote from: Kitano
Think I'll watch part 2 and 3

By your comment I thought you'd watched them all...that means you haven't seen the "cat", "dog", "chicken" lesson...you're in for a treat!

PLS watch all 3 videos if you've watched the first!
« Last Edit: June 24, 2013, 04:10:36 AM by MK »

kitano

• Children of the Atom
« Reply #26 on: June 24, 2013, 06:15:20 AM »
Watched the other two, guy is an idiot lol

His lessons that he presents to show how awful the students are are awful teaching. He doesn't explain what he wants people to do he just expects them to start up an interesting conversation in English?

He didn't really rise to the challenge did he?

« Reply #27 on: June 24, 2013, 02:46:37 PM »
http://youtu.be/k__2_Am3a9w

Part 1.
Continue on to part 2 and 3 if you want to see all of it. Some people aren't aware of certain realities in some schools in China.

Is there another way to view this? I can't get youtu nor do I have V - P - N
For you to insult me, first I must value your opinion

« Reply #29 on: June 24, 2013, 07:40:50 PM »
Oh my word. What a nightmare.

What a self-righteous clown.
两只老外, 两只老外,跑得快,跑得快,
一个是老酒鬼,一个是老色鬼,真奇怪, 真奇怪