Favourite TV drama of all time?

• 53 replies

decurso

• Chinese Rocks
Re: Favourite TV drama of all time?
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2010, 06:09:36 PM »
Oz is great. It does require a suspension of disbelief, but as a "soap opera set in hell" it works beautifully.

My personal favourite TV drama is The Sopranos by far. Besides these two shows, I also have to give props to Six Feet Under, The Wire, Weeds and Dexter.

Dex

« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2010, 08:17:35 PM »
Father Ted! Yeah.

My Chinese girlfriend loves the episode in which Father Ted donnes a lampshade on his head, slants his eyes and says "wooooh, I am Chineeeeeese, if you pleeeeese" only to find a family of Chinese looking through his parish house window. Then, the local community heckle him for being rascist, in which the local Irish islanders think that is the new line the Church is taking against immigration. Things get twisted when his priest colleague dies and leaves to Ted his Nazi hoard of collectables, which, predictably, ends up with Father Jack and in front of the local Chinese community! Superb episode.

As Ted says in a bar full of Chinese trying to make up for the misunderstandings: "Now then, Nazi's dress up in black and go around telling people what to do... whereas priests... err... erm... ...cheers!!!"
Train + China + Spring Festival = Torture

« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2010, 05:39:43 AM »
Father Ted! Yeah.

My Chinese girlfriend loves the episode in which Father Ted donnes a lampshade on his head, slants his eyes and says "wooooh, I am Chineeeeeese, if you pleeeeese" only to find a family of Chinese looking through his parish house window. Then, the local community heckle him for being rascist, in which the local Irish islanders think that is the new line the Church is taking against immigration. Things get twisted when his priest colleague dies and leaves to Ted his Nazi hoard of collectables, which, predictably, ends up with Father Jack and in front of the local Chinese community! Superb episode.

As Ted says in a bar full of Chinese trying to make up for the misunderstandings: "Now then, Nazi's dress up in black and go around telling people what to do... whereas priests... err... erm... ...cheers!!!"

Best Father Ted Episode: "Kicking Bishop Brennan Up The Arse"

Also, I've just started watching In Treatment - new HBO drama with Gabriel Byrne playing a psychotherapist. Very promising!
两只老外, 两只老外,跑得快,跑得快,
一个是老酒鬼,一个是老色鬼,真奇怪, 真奇怪

Dex

« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2010, 09:32:10 PM »
Oh yeah, Kicking Bishop Brennan up the Arse is true art.

"Mrs Doyle can't do any cleaning today. Her back is very bad since she fell off the roof"

« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2010, 02:27:42 AM »
My personal favourite TV drama is The Sopranos by far.

This was not a television show, for us WOPS, it was a documentary
For you to insult me, first I must value your opinion

kitano

• Children of the Atom
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2010, 02:57:23 AM »
i've never met anyone like him

me neither. who would he be like, ted? hitler or one o dem fellas?

he's much worse than hitler, hitler never played jungle music at 3 in the morning

« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2010, 04:06:10 AM »

he's much worse than hitler, hitler never played jungle music at 3 in the morning

A quote from the show?

Dex

« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2010, 04:07:00 AM »
What's a WOP?  afafafafaf

Bugalugs

• If we are what we eat, I'm easy, fast, and cheap.
« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2010, 04:23:03 AM »
My guess is an Italian...

Thats what Italians were called in Australia before PC come in to play.
Good girls are made from sugar and spice, I am made from Vodka and ice

Do you have and ID Ten T error??

« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2010, 04:29:46 AM »
Legend has it it came from the acronym of "With Out Papers" stamped on the great numbers of Italians that came off the boats in New York City in the late 1800's.

Its now our "N*****" type word. Means nothing to me, (I've never been to New York City  ahahahahah). I'm immune, I've heard it all my life

kitano

• Children of the Atom
« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2010, 05:32:00 PM »

A quote from the show?

its the one where jack has to go to hospital and they get a replacement for him (who is a school bully type)

El Macho

• 东北人都是活雷锋
« Reply #26 on: March 12, 2010, 12:29:32 PM »
Deadwood (Absolutely brilliant, but they leave you hanging as they never made the final season!!!  asasasasas)
I'm in complete agreement. For me, Deadwood is much better than Sopranos, Oz, The Wire, and any other tv series. (Not counting the various Black Adder series, but they're hardly the same thing.)

Deadwood is great.

old34

« Reply #27 on: March 14, 2010, 02:42:46 AM »
This isn't the greatest TV drama of all time, though it's fans my disagree, but I merely want to note that I am now completely up-to-date with every episode of LOST to date.

I watched Season 1 of Lost about 3 years ago on DVD. And then I lost the thread.

I was more or less stuck here during the winter holiday, so I started making my way through Seasons 2 through 5. I'm a bit lucky in that my uni has an INTRAnet with movies and TV series available for download on campus and has LOST Seasons 1 through 5 up, episode by episode. Through Season 5, Lost had 103 episodes. It's school intranet so a 43 minute (or so) epsiode downloads in about 20 SECONDS.

So I made my way through all the episodes through Season 5  in about 6 weeks. School started and coincidentally, so did Season 6, the last season of Lost. Luckily HULU is showing it and I'm able to get to HULU through Witopia (ignore a message I posted elsewhere, HULU is still working with Witopia, and today I finally caught up to the front of the LOST train-Season 6, Episode 7. For the past two months, it's been LOST-ON-DEMAND through 109 episodes. From here on out, it's gonna have to be week-by-week until the end as I wait for each week's episode.

I actually don't much like the damn thing. I'd like to kill off a few of the characters and hope they stay dead-which never seems to happen on LOST (the stay dead part). But with so much time and effort invested in this, I've gotta follow it through to its end.

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad. - B. O'Driscoll.
TIC is knowing that, in China, your fruit salad WILL come with cherry tomatoes AND all slathered in mayo. - old34.

« Reply #28 on: March 14, 2010, 12:03:08 PM »
A couple of TV dramas from the 1980s stick in my mind.  Quite why I - a teenager back then - stuck with them is hard to imagine, I guess something subconsciously told me that these would be good for soul or something.

The first is DAS BOOT (The Boat) [1981] about a crew of German sailors on a submarine during World War II.  It was nominated for Oscars but later enlarged into six parts and broadcast on television.

The second is HEIMAT [1984] about the life of German village through several generations.  I don't have a penchant for German drama, but these dramas appeared out of nowhere and left a lasting impression on me.  I doubt HEIMAT will be everyone's cup of tea, but I would list DAS BOOT in the 'must see' category.

Another, relatively more recent, drama that impressed me was the BBC's OUR FRIENDS IN THE NORTH [1996].  I do like a good 'rise and fall' type narrative.

« Reply #29 on: March 15, 2010, 03:09:14 AM »
I recall the movie Das Boat. I saw the German version with English subtitles, compelling. Never knew it became a series. Was it just the movie cut up or was it a separate story line?