Pushing the Envelope

• 4 replies

decurso

• Chinese Rocks
Pushing the Envelope
« on: March 04, 2008, 06:54:44 PM »
 This week I intended to show Lonely Planet Amsterdam. Tanya has the whole series, and in a foreign culture course the Lonely Planet series is invaluable. I was preparing them for a speech on a foreign country of their choice, but I picked Amsterdam over the others because I figured it could provoke a lot of weighty discussion about drugs, guy marriage and prostitution and possibly set up a good debate topic for their second assignment. Unfortunately, I couldn't get the  disc to work and my first class was mostly spent teaching my students colourful names for a computer that doesn't work.

Fortunately I came prepared and showed the southwest US instead. It was a big hit, but unfortunately I picked it at random and didn't really have a chance to look at it before  showing it to a class of ultra conservative PHD candidates in rocket engineering. Most of it is quite harmless, but at the end it shows Nevada's Burning Man Festival. I've never been, but I know some folks who have and it sounds like a real freak show. Anyways, as I was watching with my class I was mortified to see a buck naked guy walk across the screen...facing front. I am contractually obligated to abide by Chinese moral standards, and I have been here long enough to know that putting a penis on the projector doesn't comply with that requirement.

To my surprise, it was a huge hit. At one point the camera entered a "fetish tent" and I attempted to save whatever was left of my reputation by skipping past it. To my surprise many students cried, "Nooooo!" At the end of the day I couldn't shut the fuckers up...a foreign teachers dream class basically. I had intended to try Amsterdam on the computer in my other classrooms this week, but if I don't get fired and/or deported in the next twenty four hours   I'll stick with what I've got and what is working. I'm getting them talking and I'm enjoying it...and that's what this job is all about.

My question...is this pushing the envelope too far? Where do I draw the line between provoking discussion and covering my ass?

Lotus Eater

• buk-buk..b'kaaaawww!
Re: Pushing the Envelope
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2008, 07:29:47 PM »
Your problem will come if there was a student in class who objected at all and tells the class teacher.  Or if the monitor is questioned too closely on the class.

But, if your students went with it ... agagagagag

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2008, 11:54:52 PM »
"Hey look, a penis."

Rioting.
And there is no liar like the indignant man... -Nietszche

Nothing is so fatiguing as the eternal hanging on of an uncompleted task. -William James

englishmoose.com

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2008, 01:20:23 AM »
Hey, it's one of my lifelong aims to attend the Burning Man festival.
It is too early to say.

Shroomy

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2008, 02:06:47 AM »
I drew a penis on the chalkboard today to illustrate a point to blushing nursing students.  Do you think I'll be deported since I knew I was going to do it?  ahahahahah

Sorry, Decurso, not making fun of you.
Back home and still confused about what the locals are saying.

AMonk

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2008, 02:27:37 AM »
I have sketched worse diagrams than the "humble" penis.  I have drawn out the entire reproductive system and organs.  Male and female.  But then - I'm not (yet) in PRC.  And your students are future nurses, 'Shroomy.  I doubt that that drawing will be the worst thing that they will ever have to face in their futures.  At least I hope it isn't!! aoaoaoaoao  bibibibibi
Moderation....in most things...