Roads and traffic: What the hell is wrong here?

• 66 replies

Fugu

Re: Roads and traffic: What the hell is wrong here?
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2008, 09:20:26 AM »

..I was struck by an SUV in the left thigh....on the side walk..

Mate, he hit you on a footpath? I would’ve seriously considered collapsing, rolling around, screaming and clutching my thigh (although the thought of rolling around on the ground in China fills my mind with dread – three thousand years of spit and all that, however, I digress).

The schadenfreude would’ve been immense and if the act was good enough, I’d be expecting at least a 10k payout...
“Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society,” Twain.

« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2008, 04:58:39 PM »
Hitting on old lady scuttling across the highway in peak-hour traffic and shattering her leg - with a 3 day hospital stay - only costs 7000, so 10K is probably a bit ambitious. 2-3K would probably be in the ballpark, though, considering it was the footpath and SUV's are expensive.
You have to care for it to matter.
http://www.haerbinger.com - All About Harbin

« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2008, 11:07:05 PM »
I had a scary thought today.

The Olympics.  200,000 westerners who know that people have the right of way in an intersection.

Beijing where cars have the right of way even when the light is red and people are walking on the green light in an intersection.

Could cause some MAJOR problems if the westerners are hit!!
Be kind to dragons for thou are crunchy when roasted and taste good with brie.

belrain

• In past travelling, now becoming Shanghai resident
    • My homepage
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2008, 02:39:49 AM »
But maybe, all driving will be forbidden during Olympics ahahahahah
cdcdcdcdcd Das Leben ist schön

« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2008, 03:09:48 AM »
No way will the people in Beijing give up their driving.  Don't forget Taxis they are the worst offenders and they will be out in droves. 

Maybe the police can keep the driving under control, but I have my doubts.
Be kind to dragons for thou are crunchy when roasted and taste good with brie.

« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2008, 07:38:11 AM »
its going to be interesting, thats for sure. But then again, Seoul drivers were just as bad 20 years ago (and almost as bad today, especially the taxi drivers) when they hosted the olympics and they did not have too many incidents. Beijing might surprise us (but I doubt it)

belrain

• In past travelling, now becoming Shanghai resident
    • My homepage
« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2008, 07:21:27 PM »
Probably, the chinese government will do high punishments on drivers, hitting a foreigner during the Olympics - extremely high punishments. And then, all drivers will take care oooooooooo
cdcdcdcdcd Das Leben ist schön

« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2008, 06:50:38 PM »
The only thing worse than the appalling traffic on Mo Ye Lu this morning...

...was our retard of a driver.  The previous guy was great, but this new shmo has no clue.  He always has these creative shortcuts that invariably add 10 minutes to every trip, and this morning he got impatient and tried to drive around the two lanes of traffic we were in (which already should have been one).  Instant oncoming cars, left-turning cars, and a fleet of bokes of all sizes converged upon us- and we had nowhere to go.  We caused a traffic jam the other way, and once the lanes started moving we couldn't return and move forward with them.

Idiot. adadadadad
And there is no liar like the indignant man... -Nietszche

Nothing is so fatiguing as the eternal hanging on of an uncompleted task. -William James

englishmoose.com

« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2008, 08:08:18 PM »
I still like the fact that about a month ago Shenzhen decided that it would fine drivers who excessively honk 150 RMB. They claimed to hand out a few hundred fines in the first couple days. Despite the nice banner on the corner by my apartment proclaiming that honking is uncivilized behavior, there is no difference in the honking or driving habits of the wealthy populace. To add to this wonderful idea of the government, they also decided to crack down on jaywalking... from 8-10pm. Lot of good that logic does.

Perhaps the next phase of the plan will include ENFORCEMENT of the laws already in place. What a brilliant idea that would be.
"I don't need to compromise my principles, because they don't have the slightest bearing on what happens to me anyway." -Calvin
3 greatest things in the world in one website: http://www.boozefoodtravel.com
http://www.TotalTaipei.com
My Taipei travel guide: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073RSMVG

Lotus Eater

• buk-buk..b'kaaaawww!
« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2008, 08:48:48 PM »
I don't think there will be very many foreigners actually driving here - China does not recognise International licenses.  So we will be relying on taxis, which will be interesting in itself. 

Road crossing will be exciting, but on this trip to Beijing, I felt more pedestrians and drivers were obeying the lights.  I also figure that most of the visitors will be in the 'tourist friendly' areas - not out in the more remote/rural suburbs, so traffic rules may be more obeyed.

« Reply #25 on: April 11, 2008, 02:07:32 AM »
But getting your license is easy - as long as you have your current O/S license and know someone who can help you pass the writing test - you can have your very own Chinese Driving License. You have to pass the (computerized yes/No, Right/Wrong 100 Q's) writing test & get 90+. If you're in any halfway decent sized city it should be available in English (I know BJ, Shanghai and Guangzhou have the English test).

Even without a car I reckon having the license would be a huge plus... and also useful for holidays and trips around. Renting a car is dead easy - if you have the Chinese license.

Lotus Eater

• buk-buk..b'kaaaawww!
« Reply #26 on: April 11, 2008, 03:01:23 AM »
I was talking about the tourists - not the foreign 'locals'.

« Reply #27 on: April 11, 2008, 01:23:44 PM »
Apparently it's possible for tourists too. I have heard that there have been some law changes which now allow foreigners (without residence permit) to get a temporary 90 day Chinese license.

« Reply #28 on: April 11, 2008, 11:47:56 PM »
Apparently it's possible for tourists too. I have heard that there have been some law changes which now allow foreigners (without residence permit) to get a temporary 90 day Chinese license.

IMO this is inviting a holocaust.  Imagine dropping 40 defensive drivers intoa city for rush hour?  Carnage.
And there is no liar like the indignant man... -Nietszche

Nothing is so fatiguing as the eternal hanging on of an uncompleted task. -William James

englishmoose.com

« Reply #29 on: May 28, 2008, 08:00:16 PM »
Of course he was angry. You were occupying the space where his vehicle needed to go. You should have thought about that and the fact that it hurts to be hit by a car. Makes perfect sense.....to a Chinese person....
"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination." Oscar Wilde.

"It's all oojah cum spiffy". Bertie Wooster.
"The stars are God's daisy chain" Madeleine Bassett.