Risks of "pirate" software

• 3 replies

Pashley

• My page at Citizendium
Risks of "pirate" software
« on: April 04, 2014, 10:46:30 AM »
Study says "chances of encountering malware in a pirated copy of software is one in three. The chance of encountering malware in a PC purchased with pirated software is more than 60%."

http://crooksandliars.com/2014/04/microsoft-sponsored-study-says-problems

Here is an older thread with a solution: http://raoulschinasaloon.com/index.php?topic=2460.msg47301#msg47301
Who put a stop payment on my reality check?

BrandeX

Re: Risks of "pirate" software
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2014, 04:31:33 AM »
url: MICROSOFT SPONSORED STUDY SAYS

Ok then...

opiate

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2014, 07:09:29 PM »
I would not doubt their figures though I would question what they consider to be malware.

For example, most key generators I've come across will be picked up as a virus or malware by many scanners but aren't. As to purchasing a PC with a pirated OS...It's more than reasonable to expect something else loaded on the PC as well. Even if nothing was maliciously added you'd have to consider that pirated OS's usually do not offer the same level of security as their legit and updated cousins so are more easily exploited by previously published attack vectors.

That said, I do use pirated software but take precautions in doing so. I'll never use a pirated OS on my main computer but will do so on a less vital system.

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2014, 06:22:17 PM »
I would not doubt their figures though I would question what they consider to be malware.

For example, most key generators I've come across will be picked up as a virus or malware by many scanners but aren't. As to purchasing a PC with a pirated OS...It's more than reasonable to expect something else loaded on the PC as well. Even if nothing was maliciously added you'd have to consider that pirated OS's usually do not offer the same level of security as their legit and updated cousins so are more easily exploited by previously published attack vectors.

That said, I do use pirated software but take precautions in doing so. I'll never use a pirated OS on my main computer but will do so on a less vital system.

If you use pirated OS, just use the original ISO and check the hash code of the copy, such as MD5, SHA1. They should be quite alright.