What's in the News

• 2873 replies

mlaeux

• How's the water?
    • Fukushima has changed everything.
Re: What's in the News
« Reply #1215 on: November 23, 2009, 03:37:32 AM »
I saw that one before. What a treat! We have an Ikea in Tampa. Trust me, security would show you the door if you tried any of that nonsense.  bibibibibi

« Reply #1216 on: November 23, 2009, 04:44:38 AM »
We have one in Dalian and it's chaos.  The one in MN back home is by the Mall of America and you get looked at funny for sitting on the chairs too long.

I saw that one before. What a treat! We have an Ikea in Tampa. Trust me, security would show you the door if you tried any of that nonsense.  bibibibibi

« Reply #1217 on: November 23, 2009, 05:43:22 AM »
Yes, the IKEA in DL is chaotic. I love going there just to people-watch. Besides, I like th swedish vodka and their cheese is nice (when they have it).

mlaeux

• How's the water?
« Reply #1218 on: November 23, 2009, 07:27:44 AM »
Mmmmmm...cheese cake.  :dancemj:

Escaped Lunatic

• Finding new ways to conquer the world
    • EscapedLunatic.com
« Reply #1219 on: November 23, 2009, 07:31:11 AM »

I'm back in Florida and have a video camera.  Want to go shopping and cause some chaos?   ahahahahah
I'm pro-cloning and we vote!               Why isn't this card colored green?
EscapedLunatic.com

mlaeux

• How's the water?
« Reply #1220 on: November 23, 2009, 07:38:10 AM »
EL - Sure PM me! ahahahahah

« Reply #1221 on: November 23, 2009, 09:02:30 PM »
Yes, the IKEA in DL is chaotic. I love going there just to people-watch. Besides, I like th swedish vodka and their cheese is nice (when they have it).

And Swedish meatballs.  akakakakak  No vodka for me for a while until after baby is here.

« Reply #1222 on: November 24, 2009, 11:35:17 PM »
China executes 2 for role in tainted milk scandal

BEIJING – China executed two people Tuesday for their roles in a tainted milk powder scandal in which at least six children died and more than 300,000 became sick.
Zhang Yujun was executed for endangering public safety and Geng Jinping was executed for producing and selling toxic food, according to the official Xinhua News Agency.
Their sentences were upheld in March by an appellate court in the northern city of Shijiazhuang. China requires death sentences to receive final approval from the Supreme People's Court in Beijing, after which most are carried out by lethal injection.
Xinhua said news of the execution had been issued by the Shijiazhuang Municipal Intermediate People's Court, although a court clerk who answered the phone Tuesday said he was unable to confirm the sentences had been carried out.
The case was one of China's worst-ever food safety scandals, involving tainting of infant formula with the industrial chemical melamine, which can cause kidney stones and kidney failure.
Melamine, used in the manufacture of plastics and fertilizer, was added to watered-down milk to fool inspectors testing for protein, and to boost profits.
Zhang, a cattle farmer, and Geng both had been convicted of producing and selling a phony protein powder containing melamine, much of it to producers who sold tainted milk to the now-defunct Sanlu Group Co., at the time one of China's biggest dairies. Geng's brother, Geng Jinzhu, was given eight years and his sentence was upheld Thursday.
In all 21 people were tried and sentenced in January over the scandal, including Sanlu's general manager, Tian Wenhua, who was given a life sentence after pleading guilty to charges of producing and selling fake or substandard products.
Three other former Sanlu executives were given between five years and 15 years in prison. A total of 21 defendants were being sentenced Thursday in connection with the case.
The harsh sentences underscored the government's resolve in tackling recurring food safety problems and an eagerness by the communist leadership to move past the embarrassing scandal.
However, no public investigation was ever made into accusations that news of the melamine tainting was suppressed ahead of last year's Beijing Olympic Games because the government did not want it overshadowing the prestigious event.
And there is no liar like the indignant man... -Nietszche

Nothing is so fatiguing as the eternal hanging on of an uncompleted task. -William James

englishmoose.com

kitano

• Children of the Atom
« Reply #1223 on: November 25, 2009, 12:14:36 AM »
give lethal injection to the messenger :(

there are a lot of parralels with china and italy with regards to the corruption, like they make examples of people and so on but it's all just tokenism. to really solve the problem of bribery needs a lot of guts that people just don't have

there was a shakedown on the corruption in italy in the early 1990s where pretty much the whole government got fired for bribes but as a result of that they got silvio berlusconi who is more corrupt than all of the CCP and italian governments put together

« Reply #1224 on: November 25, 2009, 12:22:59 AM »
Yeah, sometimes it seems like trying to control an outbreak when 93 percent of the population is already infected.
And there is no liar like the indignant man... -Nietszche

Nothing is so fatiguing as the eternal hanging on of an uncompleted task. -William James

englishmoose.com

kitano

• Children of the Atom
« Reply #1225 on: November 25, 2009, 12:31:32 AM »
being an english gent i despair sometimes cos i have arguments with students cos they need to pay a bribe to go travelling or pass an exam and don't realise that they are part of the problem doing that

unfortunately if you want to fight corruption you do have to give up these priveledges that gangsters have, in england it's not so difficult cos you can travel and pass exams without paying people off and you do miss out on stuff but it isn't like china where you would have to pay bribes to graduate and stuff, but it is so endemic here and the system fosters it something really has to be done

i guess the next generation expect more so it will change by the time they are in power

Escaped Lunatic

• EscapedLunatic.com
« Reply #1226 on: November 26, 2009, 12:13:30 PM »
EscapedLunatic.com

« Reply #1227 on: November 30, 2009, 02:05:37 AM »
China executes two men convicted of child trafficking

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/8383116.stm

Interesting, difficult topic.

old34

« Reply #1228 on: November 30, 2009, 03:58:34 AM »
This one is just too good to pass up.

http://www.breitbart.tv/snl-slaps-obama-over-budgetary-nuttiness/

ahahahahah ahahahahah ahahahahah

EL, you're not in China at the mo', dui bu dui?

The page link loads here but the video doesn't.
Same thing with last week's scathing SNL skit on Obama's trip to China.

So, here's a question for the assembled: Why can't we view these SNL clips here in China?

Knee jerk responses about the GFW, Youtube blocks, using VPNs, Tor, etc. get 0 points.
So answer the question and let the irony flow.
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad. - B. O'Driscoll.
TIC is knowing that, in China, your fruit salad WILL come with cherry tomatoes AND all slathered in mayo. - old34.

Escaped Lunatic

• EscapedLunatic.com
« Reply #1229 on: November 30, 2009, 11:22:26 AM »
I'm back in exile Florida at the moment.  China should REALLY unblock that one.  It shows what would happen of Hu said what he was really thinking to Obama.  bjbjbjbjbj
EscapedLunatic.com