What's in the News

• 2873 replies

teleplayer

• Ni you hen duo xiao qian. Gei wo yidian(r)!
Re: What's in the News
« Reply #1065 on: July 14, 2009, 11:27:31 AM »
Swearing 'helps to reduce pain'

http://bit.ly/10zsjU

News one can use!!  bjbjbjbjbj

Escaped Lunatic

• Finding new ways to conquer the world
    • EscapedLunatic.com
« Reply #1066 on: July 14, 2009, 02:48:17 PM »
I hereby nominate this guy for honorary saloon membership!   bjbjbjbjbj

Chinese road vigilante an Internet hit: report

AFP Mon Jul 13, 1:57 am ET

BEIJING (AFP) – A retired teacher has become an unlikely Internet hit in China for throwing bricks at cars whose drivers were ignoring red lights at a dangerous crossing, state media has reported.

The furious 74-year-old last week took up position on an intersection in Lanzhou, the capital of northwest Gansu province, and damaged more than 30 cars before he was stopped by police, the China Daily reported.

"I just wanted to catch people's attention and tell the drivers to think of pedestrians," the man said, according to the report.

The unnamed man's attacks drew wide support in Chinese cyberspace, with nearly 80 percent of 400,000 respondents to an online poll backing him, the English-language paper said.

The ex-teacher became a campaigner for road safety after a pedestrian was killed near where he lived.

He successfully lobbied for traffic lights at the intersection, but drivers continued to ignore them, the report said, citing the Lanzhou Morning Post.

So on Thursday last, he started lobbing bricks at transgressors, and was joined by two other elderly men, while other people found them more bricks and brought water.

He had planned to keep up his vigilante attack for a week but was stopped by police after one day. He was interviewed and released without charge, the paper said.

The reports did not indicate whether any cars were seriously damaged or crashed after being hit.

China's roads are notoriously dangerous. Last year, nearly 73,500 people died in road accidents in China last year, or more than 200 fatalities per day, according to police statistics.
I'm pro-cloning and we vote!               Why isn't this card colored green?
EscapedLunatic.com

Mr Nobody

• This isn't Kansas, Toto.
« Reply #1067 on: July 14, 2009, 04:29:35 PM »
Hero of the Republic.
Just another roadkill on the information superhighway.

Ruth

« Reply #1068 on: July 14, 2009, 05:30:52 PM »
Buy that man a beer  agagagagag
If you want to walk on water, you have to get out of the boat.

« Reply #1069 on: July 16, 2009, 01:34:57 PM »

Stil

• ChangshaNotes
« Reply #1070 on: July 21, 2009, 12:51:12 AM »
40 years ago (Adult Language)

http://bit.ly/19WqcB
« Last Edit: July 22, 2009, 04:45:33 PM by Stil »

Mr Nobody

• This isn't Kansas, Toto.
« Reply #1071 on: July 21, 2009, 02:37:04 AM »
Just another roadkill on the information superhighway.

Stil

• ChangshaNotes
« Reply #1072 on: July 22, 2009, 04:45:19 PM »
The Onion sold to the Chinese

http://bit.ly/Bn2eU

« Reply #1073 on: July 22, 2009, 06:16:46 PM »
Could something like The Onion ever exist in China?

Actually, satire is a very very 'Anglo' thing isn't it... I'm not sure the French would even take too cleverly to an equivalent...
It is too early to say.

Wags

« Reply #1074 on: July 22, 2009, 11:27:40 PM »
 mmmmmmmmmm

Still scratching my head on this one Stil. It has the signs of a prank, something they're not unaccustomed to at The Onion.

I went to the Yu Wan Mei site ( http://www.yuwanmei.com/home ) wondering, "What the... Is this for real?" The loyalty bracelet??  aoaoaoaoao Eel Milk Ice cream?  aoaoaoaoao

Better evidence of trickery though comes when you look at the Subsidiaries page, including such interesting names as: "Don Chin Office Solutions and Industrial Waste Supply, Jhonson & Jhonson Baby's Shampow, Hu-Hu Poisonous Treats, CTM, Kei Magong Finest Racehorse Processors" and my personal favourite "Mai Cheung Genetic Anomalies Inc."

Regardless as to whether it is or isn't a joke, sure is keeping me amused.

Stil

• ChangshaNotes
« Reply #1075 on: August 02, 2009, 08:23:51 PM »
Holy crap!

Man dies from plague in China, 11 others infected.

http://bit.ly/AU8DT

Escaped Lunatic

• EscapedLunatic.com
« Reply #1076 on: August 03, 2009, 03:01:00 PM »
It was on CCTV9 yesterday.  Pneumonic version.  Definitely not a good thing.   aoaoaoaoao

The last serious outbreak of that kind that I can recall was in India in the 1990's (I don't keep up with smaller outbreaks as well as I did when I was an Epidemiology student).  They managed to contain it in time.

The good news is that a fast and early quarantine is usually just the ticket to deal with this particular problem.
EscapedLunatic.com

« Reply #1077 on: August 03, 2009, 06:12:34 PM »
Nothing to do with China yet,but some PIGS have caught the swine flu from their handlers in Australia. aoaoaoaoao Guess what is in quarantine now?

Newbs

« Reply #1078 on: August 03, 2009, 09:20:12 PM »
Yep, correct weight, Granny Mae
http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2009/08/03/2643845.htm  Another report said that this had previously happened in Canada and Argentina.  In itself they say it's not a bit deal, but it does increase the chances of the little swine 'flu virus mutating into something rather more ugly.

This also made the news today.
http://www.3news.co.nz/David-Farrier-goes-on-hunt-for-Mongolian-death-worm/tabid/418/articleID/114185/cat/58/Default.aspx  At first I thought, "Hey, is it April the 1st already?", then I thought I'll just file this one under WTF.  But it seems that this little Mongolian Death Worm is Mongolia's answer to the Loch Ness Monster or whatever.  Hell, the thing probably doesn't exist but it's too good a story not to post here.  The bit about using explosives to find it, because it likes the vibrations, reminds me of one of the critters in "Dune"
« Last Edit: August 03, 2009, 09:25:44 PM by Newbs »

Escaped Lunatic

• EscapedLunatic.com
« Reply #1079 on: August 04, 2009, 03:18:57 AM »
Nothing to do with China yet,but some PIGS have caught the swine flu from their handlers in Australia. aoaoaoaoao Guess what is in quarantine now?

Do the pigs call it "Human flu"?   ahahahahah
EscapedLunatic.com