What's in the News

• 2873 replies
Re: What's in the News
« Reply #150 on: August 25, 2007, 05:11:29 PM »
British dwarf's penis gets stuck to hoover

(Agencies)
August 22, 2007

Edingburgh - A dwarf performer at the Edinburgh fringe festival had to be rushed to hospital after his penis got stuck to a vacuum cleaner during an act that went horribly awry.

Daniel Blackner, or "Captain Dan the Demon Dwarf", was due to perform at the Circus of Horrors at the festival known for its oddball, offbeat performances.

The main part of his act saw him appear on stage with a vacuum cleaner attached to his member through a special attachment.

The attachment broke before the performance and Blackner tried to fix it using extra-strong glue, but unfortunately only let it dry for 20 seconds instead of the 20 minutes required.

He then joined it directly to his organ. The end result? A solid attachment, laughter, mortification and ... hospitalisation.

"It was the most embarrassing moment of my life when I got wheeled into a packed AE with a vacuum attached to me," Blackner said.

"I just wished the ground could swallow me up. Luckily, they saw me quickly so the embarrassment was short-lived."
"I wish my first spoken word was 'Quote' so I could make my last word 'Unquote'."
— Stephen Wright.

« Reply #151 on: August 26, 2007, 04:09:36 PM »
Daily life in America now also includes a heightened sense of paranoia:

Beer runners' trail a recipe for trouble
Pair arrested after marking a powdery path through IKEA parking lot

The Associated Press
August 25, 2007

NEW HAVEN, Conn. - Two people who sprinkled flour in a parking lot to mark a trail for their offbeat running club inadvertently caused a bioterrorism scare and now face a felony charge.

The sprinkled powder forced hundreds to evacuate an IKEA furniture store Thursday.

New Haven ophthalmologist Daniel Salchow, 36, and his sister, Dorothee, 31, who is visiting from Hamburg, Germany, were both charged with first-degree breach of peace, a felony.

The siblings set off the scare while organizing a run for a local chapter of the Hash House Harriers, a worldwide group that bills itself as a “drinking club with a running problem.”

“Hares” are given the task of marking a trail to direct runners, throwing in some dead ends and forks as challenges. On Thursday, the Salchows decided to route runners through the massive IKEA parking lot.

Police fielded a call just before 5 p.m. that someone was sprinkling powder on the ground. The store was evacuated and remained closed the rest of the night. The incident prompted a massive response from police in New Haven and surrounding towns.

Flouring the road from coast to coast

Daniel Salchow biked back to IKEA when he heard there was a problem and told officers the powder was just harmless flour, which he said he and his sister have sprinkled everywhere from New York to California without incident.

“Not in my wildest dreams did I ever anticipate anything like that,” he said.

Mayoral spokeswoman Jessica Mayorga said the city plans to seek restitution from the Salchows, who are due in court Sept. 14.

“You see powder connected by arrows and chalk, you never know,” she said. “It could be a terrorist, it could be something more serious. We’re thankful it wasn’t, but there were a lot of resources that went into figuring that out.”

© 2007 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

URL: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/20441775/
"I wish my first spoken word was 'Quote' so I could make my last word 'Unquote'."
— Stephen Wright.

George

• My view of China
« Reply #152 on: August 26, 2007, 04:42:57 PM »
© 2007 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
bibibibibi
The higher they fly, the fewer!    http://neilson.aminus3.com/

« Reply #153 on: August 26, 2007, 05:05:10 PM »
Say what, George?
Are you suggesting that I be paranoid about The Associated Press too, or that I should truly refrain from making any future posts from AP, or other news wires or publications?
 mmmmmmmmmm

— Stephen Wright.

George

• My view of China
« Reply #154 on: August 26, 2007, 05:34:41 PM »
 agagagagag Don't worry about them, BD. Their lawyers probably don't know where China is!!
The higher they fly, the fewer!    http://neilson.aminus3.com/

« Reply #155 on: August 27, 2007, 10:47:40 PM »
http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/law/08/24/michael.vick/index.html

I have to plow my way through newspapers everyday, pages of which are filled with reports of illegal activities. Some minor, some that leaves me with a distinct feeling that Shakespeare was on some really strong drugs, when he had Hamlet declare: What a piece of work is a man! how noble in reason!how infinite in faculty! in form and moving how express and admirable! in action how like an angel!
Unless Hamlet was ironic, of course...
Michael Vick leaves me just angry. Does it matter that he did not bet on the dog-fighting? If anyone ever deserved to be kicked repeatedly in the crotch by a camel, it is Michael Vick. He likes being cruel to animals, right then, let's see how he likes it when animals are cruel to him.
"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination." Oscar Wilde.

"It's all oojah cum spiffy". Bertie Wooster.
"The stars are God's daisy chain" Madeleine Bassett.

« Reply #156 on: August 28, 2007, 11:42:57 PM »
Trapped Chinese miners survive on coal, urine diet 40 minutes ago

BEIJING (Reuters) - Two Chinese brothers who tunneled their way out of a coal mine collapse after being trapped for nearly six days survived by eating coal and drinking urine, a local newspaper reported on Tuesday.

Brothers Meng Xianchen and Meng Xianyou became trapped while working at an illegal mine in Beijing's Fangshan District late on Saturday, August 18, the latest in a series of disasters to strike the world's deadliest coal mining industry.

Two days later, rescue efforts were called off and relatives began burning "ghost money" at the entrance of the mine for the dearly departed.

"At first there was no feeling, but then I was so hungry I couldn't crawl any more," Xianchen told the Beijing News. "I got so hungry, I ate a piece of coal, and I thought it quite fragrant.

"Actually, coal is bitter and unsmooth but you can chew up pieces the size of a finger. In the mine, we picked up two discarded water bottles, and drank our urine. You can only take small sips, and when you've finished, you just want to cry."

He said because they were eating coal, and were in the mine for nearly six days, they did not defecate.

"We were only able to do that the day before yesterday in hospital. It was full of coal."

Both said they would not go back into mining.

But their younger brother, Meng Xianjun, who has a decade of experience in the mines, cut in to the interview to add: "I'll still do it."

Chinese mine owners regularly flout safety regulations to meet insatiable demand for a fuel powering the country's booming economy.

A gas explosion in an Inner Mongolian mine that was operating illegally killed seven people on Saturday, as officials began handing compensation to families of 181 miners trapped and presumed dead after a flood last week in eastern China.

But in a second miraculous rescue, four builders trapped more than a week ago inside a collapsed tunnel at a hydropower project in the southwestern province of Yunnan were pulled out alive early on Tuesday, Xinhua news agency reported.

Rescuers in Yunnan's Yingjiang County dug an extra passage to reach the workers and used a ventilation pipe to carry food and drinking water to the four, who were being treated in a local hospital following their rescue.
"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination." Oscar Wilde.

Newbs

« Reply #157 on: August 29, 2007, 12:27:31 AM »
Brothers Meng Xianchen and Meng Xianyou became trapped while working at an illegal mine
Well, that was the problem you see, if they had been working in a legal mine this sort of thing wouldn't have happened.

I'm not making fun of the poor bastards plight, but I am making satirical comment on China's mine safety record.

« Reply #158 on: August 29, 2007, 12:43:33 AM »
Brothers Meng Xianchen and Meng Xianyou became trapped while working at an illegal mine
Well, that was the problem you see, if they had been working in a legal mine this sort of thing wouldn't have happened.

I'm not making fun of the poor bastards plight, but I am making satirical comment on China's mine safety record.

mine safety??? China does not have mine safety. That term is anathema.

« Reply #159 on: August 30, 2007, 06:01:25 PM »
Michael Vick made a point of denying any gambling because, I figure, his lawyer rightly surmised this could affect Vick's ability to get reinstated to the NFL after he serves whatever time he'll do.

Uranium is missing in China. aoaoaoaoao  Think I'll fix myself a drink. jjjjjjjjjj
And there is no liar like the indignant man... -Nietszche

Nothing is so fatiguing as the eternal hanging on of an uncompleted task. -William James

englishmoose.com

AMonk

« Reply #160 on: August 30, 2007, 09:53:55 PM »
Uranium is missing in China. aoaoaoaoao  Think I'll fix myself a drink. jjjjjjjjjj

Just DON'T touch that canister to the left of the Absinthe!!
Moderation....in most things...

« Reply #161 on: August 31, 2007, 02:34:50 AM »
Ummm...some criminals are just plain odd.

FBI: Strip-Or-Get-Bombed Threat Spreads
15 Stores Targeted In 11 States In Past Week, Police Say

POSTED: 1:15 pm PDT August 28, 2007
UPDATED: 8:33 pm PDT August 29, 2007

PHOENIX -- A telephone caller making a bomb threat to a Hutchinson, Kan., grocery store kept more than 100 people hostage, demanding they disrobe and that the store wire money to his bank account.

Tuesday's incident may be part of a broader scam targeting other businesses around the country, the FBI said. Similar bomb threats are under investigation at more than 15 stores in at least 11 states -- all in the past week, authorities said.

FBI spokesman Rich Kolko said the threat appears to be related to a plot in recent days focusing on banks and stores in places like Detroit, Phoenix, Salt Lake City, Philadelphia and Newport, R.I.

SURVEY: Should A Company Pay A Bomb Scare Bribe?

"At this point, there's enough similarities that we think it's potentially one person or one group," Kolko said.

Police in Kansas safely led the 46 employees and 64 customers, some of whom had taken off their clothes, out of a Dillons grocery store after about 90 minutes.

Authorities said the caller appeared to have visual access to the store, although officials were investigating whether the caller was out of state and may have hacked into the store's security system.

"If they can access the Internet, they can get to anything," Hutchinson Police Chief Dick Heitschmidt said. "Anyone in the whole world could have access, if that's what really happened."

On Wednesday, two other stores in Hutchinson also received bomb threats, said police Lt. Steven Nelson.

In Arizona, a bomb threat led to the evacuation of a Prescott Safeway on Tuesday.

A caller with an accent demanded $2,850, according to police and city spokesman Kim Kapin.

"The maximum that Western Union can send through its service is $3,000," Kapin said. Wiring money also includes a $150 service charge, Kapin added. "This individual was obviously aware of that."

Initially, the caller led employees to believe he was observing them.

"After a while, it sounded like he was just taking a shot in the dark at what they might be doing, or what they looked like or how they were reacting to his call," Prescott police Lt. Ken Morley said.

Sherry Johnson, a spokeswoman for Englewood, Colo.-based Western Union, said the company was working with the FBI and U.S. Secret Service to trace the money sent through the service.

It was also telling its agents to be on the lookout for the extortion plot.

"This is an ongoing law enforcement investigation," Johnson said.

A bomb threat at a supermarket in Millinocket, Maine, on Wednesday was tied to the scam. Authorities there said a caller threatened to detonate a bomb inside the store unless money was wired to a bank account. Click here to read about the incident.

An unidentified man called a Newport Wal-Mart on Tuesday morning, saying he had a bomb and would harm employees. He also demanded that workers transfer $10,000 to an account, said Newport Police Sgt. James Quinn. The store wired the money, Quinn said.

FBI Looks For Overseas Connection

The FBI was looking into whether the calls to the banks and stores were being placed from overseas and was compiling reports from local police departments to probe for similarities between the cases, Kolko said Wednesday.

"At this point, there's enough similarities that we think it's potentially one person or one group," Kolko said from Washington.

Police in Virginia said a similar threat was made at a store there on Tuesday. In that case, no money was sent and no bomb was found.

In Newport, the caller placed three separate calls to the store, Quinn said. An employee reported the bomb threat to police at 6:52 a.m., minutes before the store's scheduled opening.

Roughly 25 employees who were inside at the time were evacuated as a police SWAT team spent hours sweeping the building and bomb-sniffing dogs searched around cars in the parking lot. Neither the suspect nor any explosive device was found in the store, and no one was injured.

Quinn said police have identified the account where the money was wired, but he would not say where it was held. He said the caller used a land line from out of state, but would not say from where. No arrests have been made.

A similar call was made to a bank inside a Wal-Mart store in western Virginia late Tuesday morning, police said. An employee at a bank branch inside a Wal-Mart store in Salem was told that a bomb would explode unless an undisclosed amount of money was sent via Western Union. The store was evacuated and later reopened after no bombs were found, police said.

Another bomb threat was called in a few minutes later to a bank inside a store in Virginia's Pulaski County. That store was also evacuated and no bombs were found.

No arrests have been made in either of the Virginia incidents.

The store in Newport does not have a bank branch inside, but offers a money transfer service similar to Western Union, police said.

College Campuses Get Bomb Threats

Separately, the FBI is looking into bomb threats on college campuses, including three in Ohio -- the University of Akron, Kenyon College and a community college in Lorain County, Ohio.

No explosive devices have been found. Law enforcement officials said there was no evidence at this time linking the college bomb threats with those at grocery and discount stores.

Kenyon, in Gambier in central Ohio, received six separate bomb threats in a general admissions e-mail account between 6 a.m. and 9 a.m. Wednesday, college spokesman Shawn Presley said.

Local and federal authorities determined the threats to be a hoax and the school was not evacuated as officials swept buildings searching for the bomb, he said.

The University of Akron closed classrooms, labs and offices in its Auburn Science and Engineering building on Wednesday, after a secretary in a dean's office received an anonymous e-mail that included a bomb threat.

« Reply #162 on: September 04, 2007, 12:18:04 AM »
This is just plain cheating.
http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/09/02/megamillions.jackpot.ap/index.html

You can't just go around making financial deals with deities. It's not fair  gggggggggg

« Reply #163 on: September 04, 2007, 06:33:50 PM »
How can you trust a healer with such an overt glandular problem?
And there is no liar like the indignant man... -Nietszche

Nothing is so fatiguing as the eternal hanging on of an uncompleted task. -William James

englishmoose.com

« Reply #164 on: September 06, 2007, 12:23:13 AM »
http://www.cnn.com/2007/TECH/science/09/04/dating.mating.ap/index.html

And in other news: Scientists have, after extensive studies, reached numerous conclusions:
- Water is wet.
- The majority of people find it quite annoying to be hit over the head with a mallet.
- If you want to be a pop star, looks count for more than talent.
- People do in fact eat rice in China.
- If an elephant steps on a mouse, the mouse will die.
- Nobody really likes celery and brussel sprouts.
- Dolly the sheep is not the reincarnation of Errol Flynn.
- Homer Simpson could never become president of the US since, as recent studies show, the man is overqualified.
- Men who wear pink glasses stand a good chance of being the target of unwanted attention from gay men in bars.
- Women like shopping and shoes. They really like shopping for shoes. Some women do not like shopping, shoes or shopping for shoes.
 and the list continues.