What's in the News

• 2873 replies

NATO

Re: What's in the News
« Reply #1860 on: June 13, 2012, 02:12:38 AM »
It's been horrendous in Hangzhou today. Just got back inside, the whole afternoon I've felt like I smoked a packet of cigarettes last night. Had a dry throat and an acrid taste at the back of my mouth as well. Disgusting and it looks like the apocalypse is upon us. Feel sorry for the people of Wuhan, we'll probably not know the truth for a while. Shows such a blatant disregard for people's welfare. It's on days like this I feel blessed I can go home in less than 2 months.

Stil

• ChangshaNotes
« Reply #1861 on: June 13, 2012, 03:47:46 AM »
That's what it looks like in Changsha but that yellow tint in Wuhan is not from being artistic with the photos apparently.

My apologies to the good citizens of Wuhan - or those of you who are not abed and are still alive! After checking some numbers it sure looks like you are having a bad day:

Hangzhou API = 101 = Grade 3A

Wuhan    API = 233 = Grade 4A

(and I imagine they have not included the 'yellow stuff' in that)

http://english.mep.gov.cn/

I hate to imagine what it is like in Wuhan at this time.

Yeah it is pretty much the same as Hangzhou in Changsha. Wuhan looks really rough.

Changsha API = 124 = Grade 3A

« Reply #1862 on: June 13, 2012, 08:16:34 AM »
nanchang is also shrouded in fog today for the first time since i got here.

xwarrior

« Reply #1863 on: June 13, 2012, 02:33:53 PM »
US Embassy warns of "particularly poor" air quality in Wuhan

From a newsletter emailed by the US Embassy this morning:
The Embassy has received reports from U.S. citizens living and traveling in Wuhan that the air quality in the city has been particularly poor since yesterday morning. On June 11 at 16:20, the Wuhan Environmental Protection Administrative Bureau posted information about this on its website. Below is a translation of that information:
"Beginning on June 11, 2012 around 08:00 AM, the air quality inside Wuhan appeared to worsen, with low visibility and burning smells. According to city air data, starting at 07:00 AM this morning, the density of the respiratory particulate matter increased in the air downtown; it increased quickly after 08:00 AM. The density at 14:00 approached 0.574mg/m3, a level that is deemed "serious" by national standards. An analysis of the air indicates the pollution is caused from burning of plant material northeast of Wuhan.
Our investigation of downtown's districts, and based on reports from all of Wuhan's large industrial enterprises, have determined that that there has not been any explosion, sewage release, leakage of any poisoning gas, or any other type of urgent environmental accident from large industrial enterprises. Nor is there burning of crops in the new city area. News spread online of a chlorine leak from Qingshan or a boiler explosion at Wuhan Iron and Steel Plant are rumors.
According to our investigation, the abnormal air quality in our city is mainly caused by the burning of the crops northeast of Wuhan towards Hubei province. Similar air quality is occurring in Jiangsu, Henan and Anhui provinces, as well as in Xiaogan, Jingzhou, Jingmen and Xiantao, cities nearby Wuhan.
The weather forecast authority of the city has advised that recent weather conditions have not been good for the dispersion of pollutants."
U.S. citizens are reminded that air pollution is a significant problem in many cities and regions in China. Health effects are likely to be more severe for sensitive populations, including children and older adults. While the quality of air can differ greatly between cities or between urban and rural areas, U.S. citizens living in or traveling to China may wish to consult their doctor when living in or prior to traveling to areas with significant air pollution.
The traditional burning of straw has been pinpointed as the main culprit, according to the Global Times:
The Hubei Provincial Environmental Protection Department released its initial investigation results Monday afternoon, saying the possibility of industrial pollution being the cause had been eliminated, with the most likely culprit being the burning of straw in neighboring provinces.
The sudden invasion of haze was similar to one in Jiangsu Province over the weekend when residents of several cities felt suffocated while smelling something burning.
The Nanjing Environmental Protection Bureau (NEPB) announced on its official microblog on Saturday night that the instant value of the air pollution index jumped to 478, making it the most polluted city among the 120 cities publishing the same index.
The PM2.5 readings in 13 cities all greatly exceeded the standard as of Sunday night, according to the Yantze Evening News.
The rarely seen pollution even swept into some cities in Shandong and Henan provinces. The provincial observatory of Jiangsu issued a yellow warning signal for haze on Sunday, as did Wuhan Monday.
The NEPB on Sunday pointed to the burning of straw in Jiangsu and Anhui as the primary cause for the pollution, which was exacerbated by unfavorable meteorological factors.
The Nanjing city government later pledged to strengthen investigations into the straw burning, which was made illegal in 2009, and work to find an alternative to the oudated tradition."

http://shanghaiist.com/2012/06/12/us-embassy-air-quality-wuhan.php

Seems like a reasonable explanation to me. Australian bushfires sometimes cause haze over New Zealand and we are more than 2000kms from the source.
I have my standards. They may be low, but I have them.
- Bette Midler

xwarrior

« Reply #1864 on: June 15, 2012, 11:53:22 AM »

Nanjing:  API = 471   aoaoaoaoao

Nanjing air like smoking 15 packs of cigarettes, say experts
Staff Reporter 2012-06-14 12:52 (GMT+8)

http://www.wantchinatimes.com/news-subclass-cnt.aspx?id=20120614000068&cid=1105
I have my standards. They may be low, but I have them.
- Bette Midler

« Reply #1866 on: June 20, 2012, 06:20:34 PM »
两只老外, 两只老外,跑得快,跑得快,
一个是老酒鬼,一个是老色鬼,真奇怪, 真奇怪

Stil

• ChangshaNotes
« Reply #1867 on: June 20, 2012, 07:12:16 PM »

I never did care for Suzhou food.

139 Japanese students sick after visiting China

Stil

• ChangshaNotes
« Reply #1868 on: June 22, 2012, 08:28:46 PM »

Monkey King

« Reply #1869 on: June 22, 2012, 10:37:28 PM »
Plus, the man took a shower quickly after drinking, causing his blood sugar level to drop dramatically

Holy crap, that staple of bachelorhood, the 'shower beer' has in fact been endangering our lives all along but we didn't know it!

Stil

• ChangshaNotes
« Reply #1870 on: June 23, 2012, 03:08:35 AM »

AMonk

« Reply #1871 on: June 23, 2012, 11:07:04 PM »
OWch!
Moderation....in most things...

kitano

• Children of the Atom
« Reply #1872 on: June 24, 2012, 05:14:52 AM »
Changsha guy dies after watching too much euro-cup

I once spent 6 days doing nothing but listening to loud music, taking drugs and drinking and passing out before waking up to dirnk and take more drugs

Good thing I didn't shower while doing it!

NATO

« Reply #1873 on: June 24, 2012, 05:30:33 AM »
And they complain about the quality of people teaching English here...what do they know, eh?!

Monkey King

« Reply #1874 on: June 26, 2012, 10:04:04 PM »
OK, this is gonna get posted sooner or later so it may as well be me:

Shanghai Subway Tells Scantily Clad Women To Expect Sexual Harassment

(Includes a helpful pic of how not to dress...)