WARNING!!! ...Fluff Topic!!

• 914 replies

Shroomy

Re: WARNING!!! ...Fluff Topic!!
« Reply #555 on: December 22, 2007, 04:12:26 AM »
Thanks Bunny, that's very North American of you.  I am personally organizing and fixing the food for a word game-Christmas treat party for my students and favorite Chinese teachers (at EF).  Everytime I talk it up that I am making tradional Christmas treats the new teacher from the southern hemisphere corrects me that I am making American Christmas treats.  In my experience, colorfully frosted Christmas sugar cookies are slightly more widespread than the western US, but so be it.  Suffice it to say I don't think she'll become my best friend before I leave EF.

Will send you the Uni address when I get it.  I'd like to have an oven and make real family favorites next year, not just sort-of look-alikes.  Normally I make homemade paper thin sugar cookies with at least 5 colors of icing on each.  Very old family tradition that I miss a lot.  And, of course, the pfeffernusse that etr that don't meet etr's standards.

I haven't actually made any of the food for tomorrow's party yet, and only have 2 of 3 games ready.  Please see new post in the bar for helping me out.
Back home and still confused about what the locals are saying.

AMonk

« Reply #556 on: December 22, 2007, 04:29:04 AM »
Ignore the other teacher. She is probably just jealous. My own recipes come from Bermuda, Caribbean and UK.  Yours come from Denmark and ...??...  She obviously doesn't properly appreciate the Spirit of Christmas and all the bright colours that others find "traditional".   Do what feels right to you. agagagagag agagagagag

Thanks Bunny, that's very North American of you. 

I actually like to think of it as "being hospitable", in an Island sense. cfcfcfcfcf

Besides, as most (educated) people know, many USanians (and Southern-Crossers) also come from diverse places of origin, and therefore have different criteria for what is "Traditonal".  With such a narrow attitude towards the "Otherness" of other people, she should fit right into the EF mold!! ahahahahah ahahahahah 
Moderation....in most things...

« Reply #557 on: December 22, 2007, 04:30:11 AM »
'Shroomy, they do meet my standards. I have just never heard of pfeffernusse with raisins in them before. Do you have the recipe? I would like to make them.
I think I know those cookies. We call them, for inexplicable reasons, Jew Cakes. I really don't know why. My father is addicted to them.
I really do hope I did not insult your grandmother's recipe, it was not my intention.
"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination." Oscar Wilde.

"It's all oojah cum spiffy". Bertie Wooster.
"The stars are God's daisy chain" Madeleine Bassett.

Shroomy

« Reply #558 on: December 22, 2007, 04:55:57 AM »
No insult taken, expecially not with the trouble I give you.  agagagagag  I will have to have my cousin e-mail it.  I didn't have time to sort recipes in the 3 weeks between getting the gig and getting overseas.

And for the bunny, I am equal parts Danish, Scottish, German and Native American.  Guess what color my hair is (the part that isn't already white)?

AMonk

« Reply #559 on: December 22, 2007, 06:12:21 AM »
I am equal parts Danish, Scottish, German and Native American.  Guess what color my hair is (the part that isn't already white)?

afafafafaf RED!! ahahahahah

« Reply #560 on: December 22, 2007, 10:00:55 AM »
Hmmm...Danish and German?? I'm sorry but with that combo there is one powerful gene that will out...no, not the throwing battleaxes at the mailman or having a polarbear on a chain in the yard gene..the other gene...blond! All Danish girls are blond, even those who are not. It's a law or a tradition or an old charter, something like that.
"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination." Oscar Wilde.

Shroomy

« Reply #561 on: December 22, 2007, 06:33:32 PM »
Eric wins the prize.  My brother looked like a dandelion flower gone to seed when he was a toddler, his hair was so white.  I like going white now that I am getting old, my hair just gets lighter and lighter.

As for the battleaxes and polar bears, I wondered why I had those urges . . .

« Reply #562 on: December 23, 2007, 10:20:16 AM »
Woo-hoo!!!  What do I win??? And, BTW, 1000 posts agagagagag agagagagag agagagagag

Shroomy

« Reply #563 on: December 23, 2007, 11:20:09 AM »
[size12pt]HAPPY 1000TH POST, ETR[/b][/color][/size]

As far as your prize, do you prefer battleaxes or polar bears?

« Reply #564 on: December 23, 2007, 09:47:23 PM »
 agagagagag
Woo hoo!!! Happy 1000th Eric [/glow]
agagagagag
Courage is not the absense of fear, but rather the judgement that something else is more important than fear.

« Reply #565 on: December 24, 2007, 01:38:20 AM »
[size12pt]HAPPY 1000TH POST, ETR[/b][/color][/size]

As far as your prize, do you prefer battleaxes or polar bears?

Thbaks all agagagagag agagagagag agagagagag Hmmm...'Shroomy, how about a battleaxe wielding polarbear??? I need one for...well...salary negotiations...

Shroomy

« Reply #566 on: December 24, 2007, 04:47:31 AM »
Don't we all.

One Christmas story, one polar bear with double bladed axe.  Hand it over.

AMonk

« Reply #567 on: December 27, 2007, 01:48:07 AM »
This isn't big enough to rate a rant....it's more along the lines of a grump...or a gripe.  Anyways, I got some really nice, snuggy new PJs that I had planned on wearing for Christmas.  The problem??  It's too warm to wear them!!  alalalalal

« Reply #568 on: December 28, 2007, 05:11:46 AM »
AMonk, that is a shame. However, I feel confident that you will get ample oppotunity to use your pj's. I could have a little chat with King Winter and send him your way. He's been very sulky lately, pottering about the place muttering about global warming and how annoying it will be to waste good blizzards in Sahara.

Now, I was not sure where to post this, so this thread will do: I am going to step up my Chinese studies a notch or two after New Years. The way I study is by following the lessons in Integrated Chinese, which is quite good for the written aspect. I make flashcards with the characters. Then I allocate 15 characters per week. I do the grammar, then I write each character, three lines of one, then three lines of the second and so forth. Once I have gone through all the characters like that, I go over the grammar again, then return to the flashcards.

Then I practise a bit harder on the active vocabulary. I take each room in my apartment and all the things in them whose name I don't know in Chinese, I write down on a big list. Then look them up. I then read the list over and over and over again, and jump around like a madman pointing at stuff while shouting in Chinese. I have to do that until it sticks. It all leads up to an exam each Sunday. Just to make it more fun, I also do the same with Turkish.

How do you guys do it? Any recommendations?

AMonk

« Reply #569 on: December 29, 2007, 12:26:21 AM »
Sounds like you're giving your "Student" some real, tough "lessons".  cbcbcbcbcb So long as they are working for you.....Keep on keeping on! gggggggggg

Yeah, old King Winter is taking his occasional, cyclic vacation from down South, and letting Mr.Heatmeister have an extended engagement.