WARNING!!! ...Fluff Topic!!

• 914 replies

AMonk

Re: WARNING!!! ...Fluff Topic!!
« Reply #405 on: July 24, 2007, 10:19:01 PM »
4 more Teaching days till Vacation  axaxaxaxax ....plus 2 for tidying and sorting/cleaning out.
Moderation....in most things...

« Reply #406 on: July 24, 2007, 10:47:11 PM »
Three days til pay day, 45 days and then it's time for the first vacation of the year! The only vacation actually. The Turks only grant me three weeks vacation per year.
"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination." Oscar Wilde.

"It's all oojah cum spiffy". Bertie Wooster.
"The stars are God's daisy chain" Madeleine Bassett.

« Reply #407 on: July 27, 2007, 12:55:48 AM »
Have anyone here read the Tour de France news? Not that watch the thing, I have better things to do than watch sweaty men ride bicycles up and down mountains in France. Like, oh, lets say, watching the grass grow and re-organizing my sock drawer.
Is it just me or is there no reason for the Tour to even continue anymore? Everyone in it is on dope.
"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination." Oscar Wilde.

AMonk

« Reply #408 on: July 27, 2007, 01:19:36 AM »
Haven't ever had much interest.....even "Iron Mike", or whatever the USAnian's name was, couldn't really hold my attention for that long.....but I have actually heard that there have been masses of riders sent home "in disgrace", for  llllllllll cheating.

Sad state of affairs, Innit?

belrain

• In past travelling, now becoming Shanghai resident
    • My homepage
« Reply #409 on: July 27, 2007, 01:31:23 AM »
La grande tour de dope  ahahahahah
It is sad but worth a laugh. Maybe they ride until they found the only participant who is clean.
cdcdcdcdcd Das Leben ist schön

« Reply #410 on: July 27, 2007, 01:36:31 AM »
They should really just do the opposite. Dope them all, then no one has an advantage. Disqualify the clean riders for..I don't know...possessing a sense of ethics?

« Reply #411 on: July 27, 2007, 04:39:26 AM »
blabbers

« Reply #412 on: July 27, 2007, 10:18:42 PM »
Disney Issues No-Smoking Edict

In what was regarded as a largely symbolic gesture, the Walt Disney Co. on Wednesday said that depictions of smoking would be barred in all films released under the Disney brand and discouraged in those released by its Touchstone and Miramax brands. (Film buffs could only recall one leading character, Cruella De Vil in 101 Dalmatians, ever smoking in a Disney film.) The company also said that anti-smoking public service announcements would be included on DVDs of future films in which cigarette smoking is shown. The pledge was included in a letter sent by Disney CEO Robert Iger to Massachusetts Congressman Ed Markey, chairman of the House Telecommunications and the Internet Subcommittee, who conducted hearings last month into the effects on children of movie scenes in which the stars smoke. In his response, Markey called Disney's decision "groundbreaking," and added, "Now it's time for other media companies to similarly kick the habit and follow Disney's lead."

Fantastic!! Absolutely amazing! See, this is what I like to see. Seriously doing something about a horrible problem. As we all know, we are all braindead zombies who, without even considering the ramifications of our actions, will emulate our favourite actors on the silver screen. Especially Disney movies. For instance, this morning I climbed onto my roof with an anvil and tossed it over the side, with the specific purpose of hitting my annoying neighbour. This is in no way dangerous as we all know that, if a person is struck by an anvil falling from a great height, all that will happen is that a cone shaped bumb will sprout from their head and yellow canaris will fly in a circle around their head.
Likewise, this morning I brought a shovel with me to work. When I encountered the first annoying teenager of the day, I immediately swung and made the heavy shovel blade connect squarely with the offending youths face. True to form, stars appeared and all his teeth fell out to form a small igloo on his tongue.
In my sparetime I also enjoy finding little boys who own Border Collies and then, while the dog is watching, push the boys into wells and walk away, confident in the dogs ability to run off and communicate the distress of the boy to his parents. And who has not found great mirth in serving someone a hotdog and, instead of a sausage, sliding a lit stick of dynamite in the bun. Oh, how funny people do look when their face turns all black and their hair stands out in odd angles.

Cigarettes are disgusting, yes. They smell bad, they make you sick and there is not a single logical, rational defense for why anybody should want to smoke them. Well, that's my opinion anyway. I mean, tar and poison, doesn't sound too yummy in my ears.
Do people actually think that eliminating smoking from movies will have an effect? Smoking bans are being enforced all over the world, the prices of cigarettes keep rising, so why don't they just make the damn things illegal? Oh wait, I forgot, they can't do that and sell their souls to the all powerful Mammon at the same time.
Sorry for the rant. I am just really rather tired of smokers lighting up where they are not supposed to.

AMonk

« Reply #413 on: July 27, 2007, 11:35:15 PM »
Yeah, smoking is a filthy, disgusting habit.  Trouble is...it is a habit.  Smokers are addicts to the noxious weed.  It is a more insidious, physical and chemical dependence than any other you can name.  Sad commentary, Innit?

On change of note. 

We had a rough day yesterday, and decided to treat ourselves to sushi with one of our favourite chefs.  Lovely time, good food and better company.  The only fly-in-the-ointment was the waiter, who failed to wait on us.  He didn't get my drink order right, failed to check us to see if we needed/wanted anything further, and had to be called over (by our chef) to get Hubby another drink.  Then he kept us waiting over 30 minutes for the printed bill.  I wrote out a check...having deducted the "Service" fee... gave our chef a personal (cash) Thank You, and we left. 

The waiter had to flag us down as we were pulling out of the parking lot.  I had forgotten to tear out the check to put with the bill.  The best "Service" I had all evening.

« Reply #414 on: July 28, 2007, 03:28:02 AM »
You should have forced him to commit hari-kiri with a chopstick!

AMonk

« Reply #415 on: July 31, 2007, 03:26:41 AM »
You should have forced him to commit hari-kiri with a chopstick!

Problems with that solution, Eric.
1.  He ain't Japanese
2.  One chopstick isn't very efficient on its own
3.  I prefer the disembowelment-with-a-blunt-plastic-spoon and the liberal-application-of-salt-to-the-wounds before flaying-alive-over-a-ten-day-period then roasting-over-an-open-flame solution.

« Reply #416 on: July 31, 2007, 03:43:08 AM »
That would work too. I feel so disappointed when going to Chinese restaurants here, trying to practise my putonghua as much as possible. You know when a waitress is not Chinese? When you ask for kuaizi and she just looks at you like you were a gibbering lunatic. Finally found one that serves jiaozi and Beijing cao ya. I am so going there on my birthday. Jiaozi, Peking duck followed by Simpsons. But buying jiaozi in some fancy restaurant is just not real jiaozi. Real jiaozi are bought down some dirty alley, in a filthy grease shack where, for your own sanitys sake, it would be advisable not even to contemplate the state of the kitchen. Oh, sometimes I do miss China and, hopefully, that is where I'll be going on holiday next year.

AMonk

« Reply #417 on: July 31, 2007, 03:53:45 AM »
The best Chinese meal I ever had was when we (Hubby and I) were invited to a local Chinese eatery by Chinese friend. 

A group of Chinese staff from a local hotel (Mandarin and Cantonese speakers who had to use English to communicate!!) had pre-arranged with the restaurant people for a real Chinese meal...with Hubby and I as "honoured guests".  Waay cool....and super delicious.

Sadly, that restaurant is now defunct, and our friend has moved on (back home).

Oh, sometimes I do miss China and, hopefully, that is where I'll be going on holiday next year.

Only a holiday?????  Not scout out a Uni job so you can return to NeverNeverLand???

« Reply #418 on: July 31, 2007, 04:04:50 AM »
Not yet, no. In a couple of years, when my Chinese has improved and this quite boring job gets to be too much, I would consider going back to teach in China. For now, going to Zhongguo on holiday is enough. Already know that there is at least two places I have to go: Suzhou and Nanchang. The latter to say hi to some friends and see if the old filthy cesspool is the same as it was when I left. The former because there seems to be a lot of wonderful people in Suzhou.

AMonk

« Reply #419 on: July 31, 2007, 11:00:10 PM »
......... there seems to be a lot of wonderful people in Suzhou.

Well, that's because there are!!  Starting with our Esteemed and Revered Honourable Leader.