Things I Just Won't Do For Work

• 105 replies

jpd01

Re: Things I Just Won't Do For Work
« Reply #90 on: February 12, 2011, 08:01:44 PM »
I won't ever allow my image to be pimped out without my permission, I saw that my part time job had a picture of my mug on some promo stuff and I went completely ape shit.
I told them they would have to pay me 10,000rmb for the right to use my image on any material as I had NEVER given them permission to use my image in any way.
Another one was the recent "winter camp" activities, nothing too bad but they were filming us during the races and outdoor activities. My colleague and I decided to ruin the fun by swearing profusely the entire time to each other and ruin the audio on the shoots.
The school wasn't happy about it but we simply explained that they had never asked us if we were ok with it so it wasn't our fault as we had never agreed to it.
I will NEVER agree to dress up like Santa! fuck that! I hate that I'm expected to be happy about dressing up in a cheap, ill-fitting crappy costume that cost 20rmb and smile and dance and various other BS. I'll do it as long as I can selectively head-butt any child of my choice if they piss me off.
Lastly as a public school teacher I won't let a school guilt me into working over my winter and summer break unless I am 100% happy to give up my holiday time.
"oh but the students really love you and want to see you" awww that's sweet but unless I need some extra money I'm getting drunk and sleeping in till 2 in the arvo every day.
"I don't understand what I did wrong except live a life that everyone is jealous of." Charlie Sheen.

Mr Nobody

• This isn't Kansas, Toto.
« Reply #91 on: February 17, 2011, 03:16:23 PM »
Yep had most of these things happen to me.

I usually am able to think of a reason why it would be better for them if I didn't, though, so they stay happy. Except my contract calls for me to judge speech competitions, but I get out of that regularly by getting them to use the other foriegn teacher instead.

One time was a bit hard, though. The rellies here, good people, wanted their loser son to go to uni in Oz (since he had failed here) and wanted me to get him into uni there.

With all the best will in the world, I wouldn't even know how to start, or even if it's possible. Anyway, the loser can't speak English, and wouldnt get the idea that he had to work HARDER not less. Not stupid, just lazy. One of those people who's ideal career would be beta tester for first person shooters.

He's got a 2millionCNY trust fund that is available when he turns 23 anyway, so he doesn't give a flying fcuk. That would be this year. He drops out or gets kicked out of a college or uni every year so far.

Anyway, the santa thing has been tried, the performance thing tried every year, and basically the only thing I do is go to the student's bbqs for lunch, not all day, take my daughter as an excuse to go home early.

Funny, I remain popular.
Just another roadkill on the information superhighway.

jpd01

« Reply #92 on: February 17, 2011, 06:17:39 PM »
Yes, despite being an angry unreasonable man  ababababab I tend to be the most popular teacher in my University and hence get a better ride than the other two teachers. And in my part time jobs in the past I've always been popular with the students and staff. Brings about the question, if you are bending to your employers will like a serf and it doesn't make you the most popular white monkey in the world then what is the bloody point?
"I don't understand what I did wrong except live a life that everyone is jealous of." Charlie Sheen.

Mr Nobody

• This isn't Kansas, Toto.
« Reply #93 on: February 17, 2011, 07:54:45 PM »
There is a saying, and it is quite true. Dunno who said it first, but it goes something like "If you want something, ask. You may be surprized" or better "if you have unreasonably high expectations, you quite often get them."or something like that.
Just another roadkill on the information superhighway.

« Reply #94 on: March 16, 2011, 07:43:56 PM »
This is my first year teaching in China. So, I have been reluctant to refuse any reasonable requests made of me. Having said that, I was asked to perform in front of the class by singing a song. I did this but since the school asks so little of me I didn't mind so much. I teach only 10 hrs a week, have a free apartment, and free meals at the school. Also, I am paid 7,000 RMB a month. You can't beat this anywhere!   bhbhbhbhbh

Tuco

• Let me go and I'll pardon you.
« Reply #95 on: March 20, 2011, 12:26:01 AM »
1. Take shit and listen to people whine too much. there is plenty of work for us.
2. Take shit from students without just cause.
3. Be farmed out
4. Sign a contract unless both the Chinese and English versions are viewed by my trusted bass player/translator.
5. Share my house.
6. CURFEW?? wow ok i never worked at a university. that shit is way da phuck out!
7. Spend time with students or give them free online stuff or document support without being paid or I decide to help them myself.
8. Allow myself to be underpaid compared to the current market.
9. Work at any language school.
10. Give free lessons in exchange for anything other than sex with a hot chick.
When you have shoot, shoot, don't talk.

« Reply #96 on: March 20, 2011, 12:36:46 AM »
^  and thus a several hours' long streak of PC posting came to an abrupt end.

I wouldn't wear a funny costume and twirl around in the street. Saw someone doing that today, though as a phone advertisement, I think. Well, maybe I'd do it "in exchange for sex with a hot chick," but, otherwise, no, never. [joking, eh, I wouldn't do it EVEN for sex with a hot chick. No, let's be honest here. I'd settle for a mediocre one, or even one of the "leftover women" from the "No House" video, or even the ones that didn't make it in the video. You get the idea].

I pretty much wouldn't do anything I didn't have to, so it's all about drawing the "invisible line in the sand" about what I have to do.
suddenly it become more of a statement to NOT have a tattoo…

Tuco

« Reply #97 on: March 20, 2011, 04:02:50 AM »
Ben Dan

That reminds me of a time my buddy got me an interview for a TV show. After meeting at the local coffee shop with the director, I agreed to come see the studio. I should have asked more before I went there but anyway..

Once there, I met some of the cast and crew, looked around the studio and then asked to see a video sample.

Out came a little chinese woman dressed as a flower and dancing around singing totally lame English songs.

No way I bailed on it and it is a big show. Forgot the name of it, for kids, the pay was damn good too but myself being a metal head who loves guitars and girls, I figured that there is only so much honor I could afford to lose..

« Reply #98 on: March 20, 2011, 04:14:08 AM »
Ben Dan

That reminds me of a time my buddy got me an interview for a TV show. After meeting at the local coffee shop with the director, I agreed to come see the studio. I should have asked more before I went there but anyway..

Once there, I met some of the cast and crew, looked around the studio and then asked to see a video sample.

Out came a little chinese woman dressed as a flower and dancing around singing totally lame English songs.

No way I bailed on it and it is a big show. Forgot the name of it, for kids, the pay was damn good too but myself being a metal head who loves guitars and girls, I figured that there is only so much honor I could afford to lose..

Sadly, all I can think about is wishing I could see a picture of the woman in the flower costume. Seriously, or, more seriously anyway, wearing a costume is going too far. I do know two teachers who dressed up as Santa, however. Wait, 3 or more.
suddenly it become more of a statement to NOT have a tattoo…

Tuco

« Reply #99 on: March 20, 2011, 04:21:12 AM »
playing santa is not as bad. At least i could enjoy seeing kids faces smiling.
After refusing this job the boss asked me why, I promptly lifted up my pants to show him the grim reaper tattoo and the skull on my shoulder followed by, "kids do not like me, they are afraid."

It worked but consequently, my buddy did not talk to me for some time after that.

That's ok, if I could be famous I would only want it to come for what I love doing.

I figured that, I already am selling myself with "language", that I could not sacrifice the music I honored since I was 4 years old.

:)

Escaped Lunatic

• Finding new ways to conquer the world
    • EscapedLunatic.com
« Reply #100 on: March 20, 2011, 04:12:34 PM »
playing santa is not as bad. At least i could enjoy seeing kids faces smiling.
After refusing this job the boss asked me why, I promptly lifted up my pants to show him the grim reaper tattoo and the skull on my shoulder followed by, "kids do not like me, they are afraid."

Lifted up your pants to show him a tattoo on your shoulder??? mmmmmmmmmm mmmmmmmmmm mmmmmmmmmm

Must be some new fashion I've missed out on. ahahahahah

Would be great if the show was done live - you could change from some silly flower costume into a proper death-metal outfit just before going on camera. uuuuuuuuuu
I'm pro-cloning and we vote!               Why isn't this card colored green?
EscapedLunatic.com

Raoul F. Duke

• Lovable Rogue
  • "Be specific if you order the mushrooms!"
« Reply #101 on: April 11, 2011, 06:55:15 PM »
offtopic  This is an on-topic area. Please stay on topic. asasasasas
"Vicodin and dumplings...it's a great combination!" (Anthony Bourdain, in Harbin)

"Here in China we aren't just teaching...
we're building the corrupt, incompetent, baijiu-swilling buttheads of tomorrow!" (Raoul F. Duke)

piglet

• Piglet's House
« Reply #102 on: May 07, 2011, 06:12:41 AM »
I will definitely not help a student's cousin to write her school report,especially over a public holiday,even if he asks me really really nicely and says his cousin can't afford a private teacher  kkkkkkkkkk
For people who like peace and quiet - a phoneless cord

Stil

• ChangshaNotes
« Reply #103 on: May 07, 2011, 05:41:04 PM »
I will definitely not help a student's cousin to write her school report,especially over a public holiday,even if he asks me really really nicely and says his cousin can't afford a private teacher  kkkkkkkkkk

I might .... If his father is Li Gang

« Reply #104 on: June 02, 2011, 09:49:52 PM »
 I really wish I would have found this post and taken it to heart, prior to working in China. Nearly every point was something that caused my blood pressure to rise.  llllllllll