Xuchang University, Henan: Any advice for a China First-Timer?

• 20 replies
Re: Xuchang University, Henan: Any advice for a China First-Timer?
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2013, 12:35:38 AM »
I teach one town over from Xuchang and my kids are always standing on their desks shouting about captains and what not.  Honestly, it's like that film with Robin Williams or maybe The History Boys, only a bit less homosexual - only a bit though.  I mean, this is the middle of Henan so these kids are pretty well educated, cosmopolitan and open minded.

Sounds like that dude was an easy mark for a recruiter.  OP, it's good that you are doing this direct.  Make up your own mind.

« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2013, 01:10:19 AM »
 ahahahahah  Ok, I had to look up The History Boys.  But I have to say, I even liked teaching the boys at Xuchang (not that there's anything wrong with that!).  Just nice kids who were happy to meet a foreigner. No attitude problems there, at least in my years-later memory.  I think I would have struggled teaching a lit course, though. That's probably just as much a reflection on me as on the students.

Any updates, OP?

« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2013, 03:20:36 AM »
Hey guys,

Sorry my update took a while. I received my contract and completed my medical for Xuchang.  So, it seems that I'll be heading there come September.  

While i appreciate the link, Milkweed, I'm not going to worry about it too much.  I think the OP at Dave's may have been a little naive and gone into the job with massively false expectations.  I would have thought it very unlikely that a provincial uni in the back of beyond is likely to run classes like Master Works of Literature.  Sounds like the recruiter was saying use whatever texts you like in reading classes and we'll let you call your class what ever you want.

It seems that Yangyang is the FAO in the school at the moment.  She hasn't made any grand promises to me, so i'm not too worried.  More importantly, I spoke with a British teacher who is re-signing for a 2nd year and she told me there is another Brit who is signing on for a 4th.  Surely, it can't be that bad.  Newest teacher is bound to get the worst accommodation, so I'll not worry too much about that either.  i'll just make a list of stuff to get sorted when I arrive.  Little-by-little I'll get it fixed.  Shouting the odds when you first arrive seems a little daft

Bottom line, no one likes to be lied to, especially when you base a major decision on it.  But in China it will happen (either a lie or miscommunication or whatever)and you have to deal with it.  Real bottom line (just practicing before):  check with current teachers for current conditions, then cross your fingers.  

I totally agree.  People say the same thing about Korea.  I guess I'll find out soon.  

Kids on the table stuff sounds rather amusing too.  If its good enough for them it's good enough for me too ^^  A bit of give and take on both sides and everything will be fine  bfbfbfbfbf ... perhaps!

« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2013, 05:57:00 AM »
That's great metro.  Hope it works out for you.  It seems like you have the right attitude going in.  Like it or don't like it, you've got your foot in the door and can look around better from inside. Good luck!

« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2013, 07:15:45 PM »
With a review like that it's too risky IMO. However, if the 2 current teachers describe everything there as being ok, then maybe it's worth a go. Good luck anyway and let us know how it turns out! I for one will be looking forward to hearing your account of the place!

tuvia

« Reply #20 on: July 03, 2013, 03:21:42 PM »
I know a guy that taught there within the past three years. I remember he said that the apartment was not good, and he tried to negotiate so he could live off-campus but was refused.

On the plus side, he had a very light teaching load.

He said the city itself was very nice (with the canals etc as described by a previous poster).

Good luck, seems like a decent place if you have satisfactory accomodations.