A Hard Rain's Gonna Fall... (THE VISA NIGHTMARE!)

• 545 replies

old34

Re: A Hard Rain's Gonna Fall... (THE VISA NIGHTMARE!)
« Reply #435 on: January 30, 2009, 03:12:35 PM »
The EMS took 10 days to get to me last time and 7 to get from me to them.

No wonder. EMS is the delivery service operated by China Post.

Which is why I suggested UPS or DHL in my last post. Both are readily available in most cities in China. They cost a little more than EMS but you get what you pay for - more efficient, western-style service and certainly will get the docs in your hands sooner than 7 days. As mentioned, you will have to "suggest" it to the FAO and may have to offer to pick up the added cost. 
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad. - B. O'Driscoll.
TIC is knowing that, in China, your fruit salad WILL come with cherry tomatoes AND all slathered in mayo. - old34.

old34

« Reply #436 on: January 30, 2009, 03:17:11 PM »
Here's the list of UPS dropoff centers in major Chinese cities. If your city is on here, send the address(es) to your FAO. I have to imagine it's easier walking in to a UPS dropoff center and taking care of business than going to your local China Post and fighting the hordes buying stamps, collecting mail, etc., etc.

http://www.ups.com/content/cn/en/locations/dropoff/index.html
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad. - B. O'Driscoll.
TIC is knowing that, in China, your fruit salad WILL come with cherry tomatoes AND all slathered in mayo. - old34.

Schnerby

« Reply #437 on: January 31, 2009, 01:42:17 AM »
Which is why I suggested UPS or DHL in my last post.  

Yet, I managed to see all the acronyms as 'EMS'   mmmmmmmmmm
Apologies, brain must be fried.

Aus Post said EMS was the fastest way, but clearly they are just lacking imagination. I will get on to these other methods of postage.

I'm not exactly heading for a huge city, so mine isn't on the list. Having said that, this is good info!
« Last Edit: January 31, 2009, 03:24:14 AM by Schnerby »

George

• My view of China
« Reply #438 on: January 31, 2009, 01:56:11 AM »
Shit! Jinan isn't even on that list!! bibibibibi
The higher they fly, the fewer!    http://neilson.aminus3.com/

old34

« Reply #439 on: January 31, 2009, 04:31:59 AM »
Shit! Jinan isn't even on that list!! bibibibibi

But Yantai and Weihai are. What's up with that? Isn't Jinan the capital?

George

• My view of China
« Reply #440 on: January 31, 2009, 12:54:51 PM »
Yeah. Jinan is the capital! Passing strange!

synthette58

« Reply #441 on: January 31, 2009, 05:52:38 PM »
Hey, I can't complain at EMS - I got my Invitation letter and Permit etc in 3 days, from Lin'an - sent it to the Consulate in Ottawa (via Golden Mile travel) with a 'rush 24 hr processing - $143 cdn' - and got it back in 5 days from when I sent it.......
- so 8 days total, start to finish, door to door, and I live in ButtF***, Nova Scotia!.......

Canada Express post???....took my mail 13 days to reach Lin'an - regular mail is quicker (and $2.40 is a lot better than sucking up a $45 bill for Express!).

Schnerby

« Reply #442 on: February 13, 2009, 04:03:53 PM »
Yay! Gotta me a visa.

It cost $40AUD for a single entry Z visa to be changed to a resident permit once I arrive.

Had to provide flight details, working licence and letter from the university.

George

• My view of China
« Reply #443 on: February 13, 2009, 04:30:15 PM »
'grats, Schnerbs. Soon be amongst us! agagagagag agagagagag

synthette58

« Reply #444 on: February 13, 2009, 05:29:50 PM »
Yay! Gotta me a visa.

It cost $40AUD for a single entry Z visa to be changed to a resident permit once I arrive.

....flight details? Maybe it's an Oz thing, because I didn't.
I did get questioned before getting my boarding pass though - why one way ticket? Then I showed them my forms for the visa (letter from Uni and Work permit/SAFEA document) and they said, ok, very good, no problems - so make sure you have your original docs ready for boarding the plane.
So, yep, it's also fine to come on a one-way ticket, if you have the Z-visa in your passport - at least from Canada anyways.

« Reply #445 on: February 13, 2009, 07:11:19 PM »
Schnerby, just curious, where did you apply for your visa? I always go to the Brisbane consulate and it only costs me $30- has it gone up recently? Just wanna make sure for next time...
10 easy steps to stop procrastination.

« Reply #446 on: February 14, 2009, 01:45:38 AM »
Yay, Schnerby, good to hear  agagagagag agagagagag
"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination." Oscar Wilde.

"It's all oojah cum spiffy". Bertie Wooster.
"The stars are God's daisy chain" Madeleine Bassett.

Schnerby

« Reply #447 on: February 14, 2009, 02:12:19 PM »
Yay! Gotta me a visa.

....flight details? Maybe it's an Oz thing, because I didn't.
I did get questioned before getting my boarding pass though - why one way ticket? Then I showed them my forms for the visa (letter from Uni and Work permit/SAFEA document) and they said, ok, very good, no problems - so make sure you have your original docs ready for boarding the plane.
So, yep, it's also fine to come on a one-way ticket, if you have the Z-visa in your passport - at least from Canada anyways.

Thanks for the tip  bfbfbfbfbf Will have them on hand.

Bec, I got my visa in Melbourne, but it seems the price has just gone up. Checked the Brissie consulate website and apparently they went up this January.
http://brisbane.chineseconsulate.org/eng/lsfw/qz/t530703.htm

« Reply #448 on: March 15, 2009, 12:35:19 AM »
So, my personal visa nightmare...

I am in Xi'an. Have an L visa, which I extended once in Beijing. It is over by 18th -- in four days.

All the numerous shady 'companies' that I have contacted can't do 3 and 6 months F visas since January already, as you know. Probably because of the 两会? This time I don't have anywhere to get the 3000USD on my bank account, which is required to extend the L visa 30 days, either. Thus, probably I'll have to spend lots of money to go to Hong Kong by Wednesday and do the visa somewhere over there...

Does anyone know a better way??

If not, what agency in HK would you recommend, if applying for a 3 or 6 months visa?

icebear

• ????
« Reply #449 on: April 01, 2009, 05:40:07 AM »
I have a residence permit which expires on July 15 from a company I left last November on good terms. I've been out of China since December. I'm planning on returning, probably in June, to settle again for another year or so. I see that the old visa conversion-extension services are being advertised again in Beijing, and was wondering if anyone knows current rates/reliability?

Will I need a letter from my old employer for 'release' to convert the visa at an embassy abroad? Would an industrious visa agent need said letter also?

Is it best to apply for a different visa before I re-enter (i.e. a L to be converted on entry...)? Or just have an agent convert to a 6/12 month F from the residence permit?

I have enough money saved to support myself for awhile and would prefer to stay out of a contract, but perhaps have a few tutoring hours a week for spending money, as I'll be focusing on doing distance education courses, studying Chinese, and enjoying the Beijing summer/fall.

Thanks for any tips.