When Do China's Borders Open to Foreigners? It Will Be the End of Me!

• 4 replies

Ivyman

Hi Everyone,

Being in China right now sure feels good.  Almost every employer wants us, and they pay highly.

My fear is when it will all come down, and our scarcity will end.

1.  When do China's borders open to regular people coming back?

2.  Is there a quarantine, etc.?

3.  Any official documents, etc.?

Escaped Lunatic

• Finding new ways to conquer the world
    • EscapedLunatic.com
Unless they've changed the policy, if you leave, your visa/res permit will be cancelled, so you can't come back without  new visa.  Right now China is issuing VERY few visas.  Normalcy should start to return when a few more countries get their daily new cases crushed down to near zero or when an effective vaccine comes out.  For example, I think it's within the range of possibility for visas go back to normal for people in New Zealand sometime in the not-too-distant future.

If you do leave now and manage to get a visa to come back, expect a quarantine.

For those teaching in China now, take advantage of the reduced competition - look for the best job you can qualify for before the fall term starts.  An effective vaccine may be out within a few months, or may take over a year - there's NO way to be sure at this point.

I'm pro-cloning and we vote!               Why isn't this card colored green?
EscapedLunatic.com

Re: When Do China's Borders Open to Foreigners? It Will Be the End of Me!
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2020, 12:22:43 AM »
There must be a lot of Unis that won't be able to get foreign teachers.
Are the government going to relax the rule (which I believe exists) that they must have foreign teachers to operate foreign language departments. I guess they'll have to.

I'd be more worried that China will realise they can do without us, (or more accurately, incorrectly start to believe they can) and it will be the end of all of us.

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2020, 03:08:15 PM »
I'd be more worried that China will realise they can do without us, (or more accurately, incorrectly start to believe they can) and it will be the end of all of us.

Yep, that one, the start to believe one. That's what I'd bet on more than any scarcity thing. Being a doom and gloomer I'd personally expect being a scarce resource to reignite that old resentment that used to happen around foreign staff conditions and benefits.

Is there any Chinese arena where *increasing* reliance on foreigners or foreign ideas is ever welcomed? The whole trend of everything in China for at least the last decade has been a steady distancing r fencing off of foreign things. or so goes the propaganda and some local practice. There might be areas where actual cooperation properly occurs, but it's so off-brand it doesn't seem like there'd be a way to talk about it without being anti-Chinese.
when ur a roamin', do as the settled do o_0

kitano

• Children of the Atom
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2020, 01:14:48 PM »

Yep, that one, the start to believe one. That's what I'd bet on more than any scarcity thing. Being a doom and gloomer I'd personally expect being a scarce resource to reignite that old resentment that used to happen around foreign staff conditions and benefits.

Is there any Chinese arena where *increasing* reliance on foreigners or foreign ideas is ever welcomed? The whole trend of everything in China for at least the last decade has been a steady distancing r fencing off of foreign things. or so goes the propaganda and some local practice. There might be areas where actual cooperation properly occurs, but it's so off-brand it doesn't seem like there'd be a way to talk about it without being anti-Chinese.

I put it into the pattern that Xi has taken the country down of getting rid of foreign influences and ramping up nationalism and exceptionalism. Pretty much as soon as he came into power he started going after international schools and all of that, and reviving a lot of the Mao era shit, he's got that old man thing of remembering everything better when he was a kid even though it wasn't.
I have started applying elsewhere for jobs, I did agree to a contract in China for September but there is no way that is going to happen