Safari 4 (Beta)

• 2 replies

old34

Safari 4 (Beta)
« on: April 13, 2009, 01:43:22 AM »
I've been using Opera as my browser for years, ever since it first came out in the mid 90's. I even paid for it when all other browsers were free. I checked out Firefox through the years and Apple's Safari because it came with my MacBook, but have stuck with Opera primarily because of the speed difference. It's always been the fastest on my computers (PC's and Mac). Recently Google came out with Chrome but as I rarely use Windows anymore, I haven't tried it.

For kicks I downloaded the new Safari 4 (beta) for my MacBook and this sucka FLIES! Some pages load in the blink of an eye. Literally. (I'll come to the Saloon and click the "Show unread  posts" link, and not even see the page change. I must have blinked.

Plus it's got a cool interface. Wanna see your history of pages visited? Forget a list of old pages, it's got good sized thumbnail pictures of the pages you can just flick through 'til you find what you're looking for.

But it's the speed. Man, is it fast! In fact I just did something I haven't done for 12 or 13 years...I just went to preferences and changed my default browser to something other than Opera.

Oh, and for those with Windows, there's a Windows version that Apple claims is just as fast. Give it a try.

http://www.apple.com/safari/
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad. - B. O'Driscoll.
TIC is knowing that, in China, your fruit salad WILL come with cherry tomatoes AND all slathered in mayo. - old34.

mlaeux

• How's the water?
    • Fukushima has changed everything.
Re: Safari 4 (Beta)
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2009, 02:59:43 AM »
I've been using Safari for the PC for about a year now. I got a chance to use it on my first husband's Mac (he's a mac fan) and decided to download it for myself. I like it a lot too.

El Macho

• 东北人都是活雷锋
Re: Safari 4 (Beta)
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2009, 01:44:56 PM »
I like what they've done with Safari 4, but it didn't work right in the Wordpress admin panel, so I've been using the nightly WebKit builds. Some have been just horribly unstable, but overall they work a bit better than the current beta.

Looking forward to it going GM and being released. Safari is a great browser for the Mac, though I miss some of the features of Firefox (ad blocking and chinese perakun!).