Changed `dinit?

• 32 replies

DaDan

• Yeppers! We`be livin now!
Changed `dinit?
« on: February 15, 2009, 06:03:18 AM »
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
From the Obama Website

Sunlight Before Signing:
Too often bills are rushed through Congress and to the president before the public has the opportunity to review them. As president, Obama will not sign any non-emergency bill without giving the American public an opportunity to review and comment on the White House website for five days.

Shine Light on Earmarks and Pork Barrel Spending:
 Obama's Transparency and Integrity in Earmarks Act will shed light on all earmarks by disclosing the name of the legislator who asked for each earmark, along with a written justification, 72 hours before they can be approved by the full Senate.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

mmmmmmmmmm  mmmmmmmmmm  mmmmmmmmmm  bibibibibi  mmmmmmmmmm  mmmmmmmmmm  mmmmmmmmmm
me pappy sayd... 
Once ya get past the smell... ...:P ... `You got it licked...

Stil

• ChangshaNotes
Re: Changed `dinit?
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2009, 06:08:40 AM »
I guess there will be a hell of a lot of emergencies

Raoul F. Duke

• Lovable Rogue
  • "Be specific if you order the mushrooms!"
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2009, 11:37:11 AM »
shed light on all earmarks by disclosing the name of the legislator who asked for each earmark, along with a written justification, 72 hours before they can be approved by the full Senate.

Actually, I'm deeply heartened and impressed by this one. It's DECADES overdue. bfbfbfbfbf
"Vicodin and dumplings...it's a great combination!" (Anthony Bourdain, in Harbin)

"Here in China we aren't just teaching...
we're building the corrupt, incompetent, baijiu-swilling buttheads of tomorrow!" (Raoul F. Duke)

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2009, 04:58:49 AM »
Ditto.  I'm surprised they don't already. 

I'm starting to have second thoughts about these stimulus packages.  Will they help much?  Is it worth the years of hardship it will take to pay off the tab?
And there is no liar like the indignant man... -Nietszche

Nothing is so fatiguing as the eternal hanging on of an uncompleted task. -William James

englishmoose.com

DaDan

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2009, 06:25:21 AM »
ythe first one Bush put out hasn't seemed to help the general public &/or economy...
(if we even knew where the money went)  llllllllll

Obamas... well..
Once we/they see what is in it, we'll possibly have higher hopes for it being much help...
but I believe the fine folks that voted it in are only now beginning to read it & find out the bulk of what it holds...   bibibibibi
me pappy sayd... 

Raoul F. Duke

• Lovable Rogue
  • "Be specific if you order the mushrooms!"
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2009, 01:30:10 PM »
Ah...but the Bush stimulus was near-entirely tax breaks. It stimulated the economies of the wealthy no end, but otherwise....when it was enacted the US had a large surplus; a few years later we were in the bqbqbqbqbq . I think it's hard to compare what Bush did with what Obama wants.

We elected Obama to make changes and do things differently. Maybe we oughtta give him the chance to do that? I'm pretty sickened by this Republican-led countercharge already... aaaaaaaaaa
"Vicodin and dumplings...it's a great combination!" (Anthony Bourdain, in Harbin)

"Here in China we aren't just teaching...
we're building the corrupt, incompetent, baijiu-swilling buttheads of tomorrow!" (Raoul F. Duke)

decurso

• Chinese Rocks
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2009, 02:26:45 PM »
The Obama stimulus plan is so obvious that it's a real mystery thay nobody thought of it years ago. For years the US has lagged behind other countries in terms of broadband infrastructure and telecommunications. By pumping billions into developing these areas, thousands of new jobs will be created. Makes a lot more sense than the Republican logic of giving people tax breaks to get them to spend money.

DaDan

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2009, 02:41:31 PM »
I meant the recent Bush stimulus package a few weeks back that mostly dissapeared to untracable places with little visable if any actual stimulatin...

I wasn't counterchargen...
& I Do like a lot of things I'm seeing unfold from Oboma...
but I can't say I'm happy bout how Obomas bill was so quickly pushed to pass without even really being read through, considern how much money it represents.
Sure, plenty good projects in this bill... but also Plenty pork with it, IMO.

Personally, I'da prefered to let the chips fall & made beds be slept in, crooked & poorly ran corporations close down, U.S. take the loss & let capatization allow the strong &/or new breed of corps take over.

I'm wit con, `not so sure either stimulus bills will actually help the economy in the long run.
I be thinkin both recent stimulie only prolongs the inevitable.

tis one beeg amount of money signed off on the past few months by the gov,
`a Truely Unimaginable amout for my mind.

me pappy sayd... 

« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2009, 02:46:01 PM »
and of course cos the US has a 'stimulus' package ...... welcome Australia's version, which IMO coulda been spent waaaay more effectivley by not handing out money left right and centre but actually creating a job or two ...BUT what Obama can Kev07 wants to do better (in his dreams).

However at least something is being done I guess. Just wish the greedy top dogs who caused all this shit weren't raking in the millions!
Attitude counts for EVERYTHING

George

• My view of China
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2009, 01:35:51 AM »
Just wish the greedy top dogs who caused all this shit weren't raking in the millions!
And therein lies the major flaw...in any plan. These bastards in Banks, stocks, housing, etc, weren't producing anything! They were buying, selling mythical profits. Nothing based on reality. To let them continue to do the same thing is criminal. Give them handouts, and they pay "bonuses", without, again, creating anything!
The higher they fly, the fewer!    http://neilson.aminus3.com/

synthette58

« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2009, 01:55:51 AM »
The Obama stimulus plan is so obvious that it's a real mystery thay nobody thought of it years ago. For years the US has lagged behind other countries in terms of broadband infrastructure and telecommunications. By pumping billions into developing these areas, thousands of new jobs will be created. Makes a lot more sense than the Republican logic of giving people tax breaks to get them to spend money.

Everything is "obvious" to those who have eyes enlightened enough to see just what's being pulled over them.

Telecom??........oh pu-leeze........it's all routed via Bangalore and Hyderabad. I sincerely doubt in the existence of any 'physical' servers on the North American continent anymore. 5c/hour is a tough tender to beat. Yup, I've got friends even in Trivandrum making less, and thankful for it.
Yay, thousands of jobs WILL be created, but not in the good old US of A or its Northern cousin.

For a huge exposition and demonstration of "market forces" and the economy, one needs look no further than the Walmart explosion/exploitation (and 'Tesco' in the UK).

Spaghetti

• Goo Goo Muck
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2009, 09:25:10 PM »
Perhaps some stimulus can be put into making :wtf: Soylent Green. Maybe it's time to make that a reality.
"Most young people were getting jobs in big companies, becoming company men. I wanted to be an individual."
Haruki Murakami

mlaeux

• How's the water?
    • Fukushima has changed everything.
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2009, 11:58:17 AM »
Soylent green...ewwwww!

« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2009, 06:37:29 PM »

Everything is "obvious" to those who have eyes enlightened enough to see just what's being pulled over them.

Telecom??........oh pu-leeze........it's all routed via Bangalore and Hyderabad. I sincerely doubt in the existence of any 'physical' servers on the North American continent anymore. 5c/hour is a tough tender to beat. Yup, I've got friends even in Trivandrum making less, and thankful for it.
Yay, thousands of jobs WILL be created, but not in the good old US of A or its Northern cousin.

For a huge exposition and demonstration of "market forces" and the economy, one needs look no further than the Walmart explosion/exploitation (and 'Tesco' in the UK).

Most of the Internet backbone is in the US. Do a fun little trick. Do a traceroute on a website anywhere in the world and you'll notice it's routed through DNS servers in the US. (sorry for the tech speak). A Domain Name Server maps names (ie. google.com) to IP addresses (192.168.1.1). So yeah, building up the infrastructure will make jobs in the US.

So, what I mean to say is that what you are talking about with India are IT services vs. IT infrastructure, which is what Obama's plan is meant to build up. So you have the people on the ground physically installing the fiber and the facilities to maintain the new/upgraded infrastructure. Not to mention the fact that the US IT infrastructure is the same as the US powergrid, a big frackin' mess.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2009, 06:54:24 PM by snoopaloop »
"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." -- Dean Martin

Lotus Eater

• buk-buk..b'kaaaawww!
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2009, 06:53:56 PM »
The Obama package is also designed to pull out-sourcing back to the US.  Indian friend of mine tells me that thousands of jobs will be lost in India and that the Indian gov't response is to lower wages in order to keep people in work.

Flow-on effects.

Who stands to lose the most, who has the least capacity to handle the losses, who bears teh brunt of poor western decision making?

Western countries are cutting back on aid to the poorest countries, humanitarian organisations are suffering from lack of funding and donations...

Where is a GOOD magic wand???