Common Diseases & Ailments

• 34 replies

Raoul F. Duke

• Lovable Rogue
  • "Be specific if you order the mushrooms!"
Re: Common Diseases & Ailments
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2008, 08:50:45 PM »
Babs, you're fine here...
Some recent posts with questions on a specific current personal ailment have been moved to a new topic, "Good Fer What Ails Ya", in the Bar, where they belong.

I've had to whack out a number of irrelevant or topic-deviating posts. For the second time in this one thread. llllllllll
Every time we try dealing with the Library, I'm always gratified and encouraged by the blank looks...the total lack of comprehension. bfbfbfbfbf

Let's try again, shall we?

1) Despite many, many signs stating that the Library is on-topic, it REALLY IS ON-TOPIC. No...really.

2) The Library is only for the posting of hard, fact-like information that would be useful to a general audience of current or future foreign residents of China. It's not for the posting of idle commentary on the other posts that does not contribute to the topic. It's not for asking questions, except maybe in some cases where they clarify or logically expand the topic. It's not for boasting about your incredible idyllic luck in achieving a situation other people can't possibly reasonably hope to find when they come here. And it's not for posting things that kinda share some keywords with the topic, but otherwise take it down completely different paths.

The WHOLE IDEA OF THE LIBRARY is that people can come here and get good information on a very specific topic within a reasonable amount of time and effort, without having to wade through a pile of idle commentary on the other posts that does not contribute to the topic, topics that start as questions, details of special cases that probably won't apply to them, or threads that wander through a labyrinth of sorta-kinda-connected sub-topics.

Please, guys, work with me on this one. We have to have at least ONE PLACE on here where you can just come and get some @$^#%#$$ straight information. I know it's only been five years now, but I remain confident we can get the hang of it. agagagagag

If we can't, I'll reluctantly make this entire area read-only, with all submissions through a Moderator. And I don't want to do that, because I really want people to benefit from your truly vast knowledge and experience....
« Last Edit: October 11, 2008, 08:59:05 PM by Raoul Duke »
"Vicodin and dumplings...it's a great combination!" (Anthony Bourdain, in Harbin)

"Here in China we aren't just teaching...
we're building the corrupt, incompetent, baijiu-swilling buttheads of tomorrow!" (Raoul F. Duke)

Raoul F. Duke

• Lovable Rogue
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2008, 08:53:31 PM »
Oh...a reminder:
THE TOPIC OF THIS THREAD IS INFO ON COMMON DISEASES AND AILMENTS THAT PEOPLE COMING TO CHINA MIGHT ENCOUNTER AND SHOULD BE AWARE OF.
"Vicodin and dumplings...it's a great combination!" (Anthony Bourdain, in Harbin)

we're building the corrupt, incompetent, baijiu-swilling buttheads of tomorrow!" (Raoul F. Duke)

babala

« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2008, 08:51:28 AM »
Another one I have had problems with is Pellagra which is lack of Vitamin B. I had an issue where my tongue changed colour and looked like a map. Actually they call it Geographic Tongue. I didn't know that at the time and was pissed when they kept calling me 'map tongue' at the hospital  llllllllll Raoul himself helped me find a doctor to figure out what it was. I had gone to the fancy hospital in town and they didn't know.

The cure is simple, just take Vitamin B pills once a day.
Kids, you tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try. Homer Simpson

Raoul F. Duke

• Lovable Rogue
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2008, 10:43:31 AM »
Or make sure to eat a reasonably well-balanced diet that includes enough veggies...which an awful lot of us here don't seem to do.

Some posts were added here that, again, went from general guidelines to really specific right-now stuff. I separated those posts into their own thread and moved them to the Bar...  -R
« Last Edit: October 28, 2008, 05:56:13 AM by Raoul Duke »

« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2008, 01:27:23 PM »
Athlete's foot, although it doesn't exist here.  Pharmacies will sell you some fairly inexpensive topical ointment, which isn't really effective.  Then they will try to sell you a B-vitamin supplement which is expensive.  Apparently the word for athlete's foot is the same as for beri-beri, although I don't see the connection?

Wear flip flops in the shower, wash and dry your feet, change your socks, etc., but sometimes it just happens.

If you're coming to China you might bring your own OTC meds, just in case.

teleplayer

• Ni you hen duo xiao qian. Gei wo yidian(r)!
« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2009, 07:44:44 PM »
Oh...a reminder:
THE TOPIC OF THIS THREAD IS INFO ON COMMON DISEASES AND AILMENTS THAT PEOPLE COMING TO CHINA MIGHT ENCOUNTER AND SHOULD BE AWARE OF.

Okay, since everyone seems to want to be a pain in your ass and wander off topic, I'm surprised there is not a reference anywhere in our body of collected work dealing with hemorrhoids. I know some of you are bound to be plagued by this given pregancies, overweight, sedentary life styles, packing heavy loads for midnight runs away form dodgy schools, and just plain old living too long.
There was mention of witch hazel in a thread on belly button infections. Tufts pads are really just nice little sheets in a 50% solution of Witch hazel. Can Tufts be bought in China? How about Preparation H? Of course, just having a bottle of witch hazel which can be used for a plethora of skin ailments would be good. If the answer is no, then RD we need to do a raid on your Wally World and start a black market delivery to China.
I turned my friend on to witch hazel and tufts and she confirms it beats the traditional floor sweepings given by her Shanghai quack.
What's in the Carefore, Wal-marts, etc?

Is that common ailment enough for yous? uuuuuuuuuu

« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2009, 08:05:52 PM »
good post and useful. I too would like to know where to purchase the good ole 'H' as i have recently run out and i never see here. And am on occassion plagued by the little nasties. :lickass: just does not work. ahahahahah ahahahahah

Raoul F. Duke

• Lovable Rogue
« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2009, 08:52:01 PM »
Thankfully, I was never plagued by this particular affliction... bfbfbfbfbf

However, I often found myself in the position of medicine-buyer for other expats whose Chinese was even more pathetic than mine, so I got a look at a pretty broad spectrum of products...including 'roid meds. The Typhoon also had some problem with these while she was pregnant.

I never saw Prep H brand in a Chinese pharmacy, but it's easy to find hemorrhoid creams based on shark liver oil...exactly the same active ingredient Prep H uses. So no worries there at all.

More good news...witch hazel has been accepted into the Chinese herbal pharmacopoeia, and with a little shopping you'll find bottles of witch hazel tincture exactly like what you'll see in the West. A bottle of that and a bit of cotton gauze, and you've got Tufts.

So...sit easy. uuuuuuuuuu

George

• My view of China
« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2009, 09:32:31 PM »
 bibibibibi Bummer!
The higher they fly, the fewer!    http://neilson.aminus3.com/

teleplayer

• Ni you hen duo xiao qian. Gei wo yidian(r)!
« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2009, 03:57:03 AM »
bibibibibi Bummer!
:lickass: just does not work. ahahahahah ahahahahah

You two!!!!

Thanks, RD. My dearest  akakakakak asks, who can buy it? I'm assuming anyone, but last night she tried to tell me that the average citizen can't buy Hydrogen Peroxide because it's considered a poison used to process drugs.
 Some days it's hard to believe she's an environmental scientist then I have to remind myself she's afflicted with the "PhD Disease."  ahahahahah

Raoul F. Duke

• Lovable Rogue
« Reply #25 on: March 01, 2009, 12:04:16 PM »
The 'roid creams and witch hazel, like most Chinese pharmaceuticals, can easily be purchased by any illiterate unwashed migrant agricultural worker who wanders in from the street and asks for them. bfbfbfbfbf

Hydrogen peroxide- a compound I happen to believe capable of solving most of the world's ills- is quite hard to find and is best brought in from outside. I did see it in China- ONCE- but it was a very tiny bottle at a very high price, and 99.9999% of local pharmacies won't carry it. Bring a supply in with you.

Schnerby

« Reply #26 on: March 01, 2009, 02:12:07 PM »
The iron tablets available at the local pharmacy here also have vitamin B. It isn't mentioned in Engish, but the Chinese student pointed out the word for vitamin in Chinese and it was followed by 'B'.

This might be good for the lady members who have higher iron requirements and are looking for the vitamin B. Vegemite is also a great source of VitB.

Raoul F. Duke

• Lovable Rogue
« Reply #27 on: March 01, 2009, 02:43:46 PM »
Vegemite is also a great source of VitB.

Yeah...if you can hold the stuff down. aaaaaaaaaa uuuuuuuuuu

Seriously, though, I never really trusted vitamin supplements etc. very much in China. There's just too much piracy and fakery. If they'll fake baby formula, for God's sake, they'll have no qualms about faking expensive vitamin tablets... bibibibibi

If nothing else, China is a land where it's easy, cheap, and pleasant to eat a balanced and highly nutritious diet. My advice is to eat smart and not place too much faith in the supplements. It's true in the West, too, but it seems a lot more true in China. I understand that many folks, especially the ladies, need supplements of iron, calcium, and other nutrients. My advice here is to get them through a doctor and buy them in hospitals, and don't use the shops for these items.

Stil

• ChangshaNotes
« Reply #28 on: March 01, 2009, 04:02:26 PM »
My advice here is to get them through a doctor and buy them in hospitals, and don't use the shops for these items.

Now that's good advice.

Raoul had to get lucky sometime.

Schnerby

« Reply #29 on: March 02, 2009, 12:33:45 AM »
Oh I agree. I have my own stash of vitamins from Australia.

The pharmacy I spoke of was at a women's health clinic. I believe it was attached to a hospital. Sounds more reliable. At least the existance of these clinics might be reassuring.