Prostitutes appeal to Pope

• 5 replies
Prostitutes appeal to Pope
« on: May 23, 2009, 12:35:24 AM »
So next week I'm getting back to some more standard EFL fare for the kiddies in class.  They'll be doing news reports: one anchor at the desk, a reporter on the scene, and then back to the desk for some further commentary by an expert.  The presentation content will be generated in brainstorming sessions before the git-go.

Now, if I give them news photos as prompts, they'll waste some of their presentation time trying to show the photo.  Seems like it'd be better to give them some (not too opaque) headlines instead.  Got any good'uns?  Maybe with a tagline.  Like:

Money in bra saves woman's life
MONEY stuffed in a woman's bra saved her life after she was shot aboard a bus in the northeastern Brazilian state of Bahia.

I doubt I'll use that one, but you get the idea.
when ur a roamin', do as the settled do o_0

Raoul F. Duke

• Lovable Rogue
  • "Be specific if you order the mushrooms!"
Re: Prostitutes appeal to Pope
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2009, 11:46:49 AM »
Damn it, this thread isn't at all what I thought it was going to be about. bibibibibi afafafafaf
It's more one of those "Bush Sends Cheney Abroad" things. (Say it, don't read it. ahahahahah )

Anyway...go to Yahoo News and check their Odd News archive. You'll find some real doozies in there! bfbfbfbfbf
"Vicodin and dumplings...it's a great combination!" (Anthony Bourdain, in Harbin)

"Here in China we aren't just teaching...
we're building the corrupt, incompetent, baijiu-swilling buttheads of tomorrow!" (Raoul F. Duke)

Lotus Eater

• buk-buk..b'kaaaawww!
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2009, 01:01:16 PM »
Cut out words from the headlines, mix them together and give the 'new' headlines to students to work with.

You can buy a game like this on line, or maybe at Toys'R'Us if you are near one.

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2009, 08:14:16 PM »
In the end, my chosen headlines were these:

Forgotten Brother Reappears
Man Killed in Accident
Passerby Sees Woman Jump
Professors Protest Pay Cuts
Tommy the Dog Named Hero
Woman leaves baby to play video games
Arrest of young boys at school sparks outrage
Football star Ronaldo in trouble for pulling opponent's hair
Teenager kills brother in gang shootout
Boy, 6, takes wheel after dad passes out
UFO crash lands in Beijing!
Search for 'Miss Beautiful Morals'
A HOMELESS South Korean unable to withdraw his life savings because he could not remember his real name has died in poverty.
AN eight-year-old girl in Saudi Arabia has won a divorce from her 50-year-old husband at the third attempt.
Europe's thinnest women feel fat
Woman divorces overly clean husband
Man saves dog by sucking snake venom from his nose
Kids want to hear more bedtime stories

It's a cool lesson to do.  I opened with 15 minutes of something from the text book (in this class' case, 4 story outlines with the instruction to "say how you'd report it" for discussing news preferences, and a text book dialogue between a helpful Chinese and a clueless foreigner about what newspapers there are to read in China).  And then it's on to the TV news hour!

Teacher introduces the words "anchor/host", "reporter/journalist" and "expert/guest" and with the help of the class brainstorms a story for a given headline.  For me I used "Man bites dog!"  First you elicit:

who?
when?
where?
what's happening now?
what's being done?
broader social theme?

And then you present! You take the three roles yourself.  First act as anchor to briefly introduce the story, then cross to yourself as a reporter on the spot, and then cross back to the studio with yourself as anchor again, and as studio guest, where you discuss the broader implications of the story.  I was impressed by how in six different classes my story always managed to include cannibalism.  Well, see, there had to be a reason the man's wife and child were missing and he only took one bite of the dog...  I found I had to watch my speaking speed too: as the story wore on I would usually get louder and faster--had to slow it down.

After your presentation you give groups of three/four till the end of the period to prepare their story and presentation.  In the second period they do the presentations.  Keeping it brisk, 45 minutes is usually enough to get 8-12 groups on stage at least once.

It really helps the procedure if near the end of the first period you go around assigning a running order.  If you leave it up to the students to decide who goes first and so on, there'll be long gaps between stories with students sitting on their thumbs waiting for some other group to get on stage.

Although most of the resulting stories were fairly tame, I found it fun to sit back in the second period and watch what the kids could do.  It was great!

Best story?  "Passerby sees woman jump."  That team had the woman still on the ledge--one kid stood up on the tables--and she was interviewed by the journalist on the spot.  The woman raged against the iniquities of inexpert doctors.  She had, you see, been born a man but recently gone to a doctor for "the operation" as she thought women were great and wanted to be one.  After the operation, she was a woman--halfway.  The interview included a lot of yelling about "this thing" and waving at her hips and moaning "what can I do?  Curse that doctor!"
when ur a roamin', do as the settled do o_0

old34

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2009, 02:07:12 PM »
If you have a video camera, this is a good lesson to record. Adds a little realism to the exercise, but more importantly, they can get visual and audio feedback on their English production.
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad. - B. O'Driscoll.
TIC is knowing that, in China, your fruit salad WILL come with cherry tomatoes AND all slathered in mayo. - old34.