Throwing the Windows out with the viruses

• 22 replies

JShep

• The States - An Informative and Satirical Guide to the United States of America
Re: Throwing the Windows out with the viruses
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2009, 07:40:09 PM »
Sounds like a good plan to save money. With the economy the way it is, I guess Microsoft is asking too much for the Windows 7 migration.

I'm in agreement with the post: Microsoft isn't in any real danger until the major game developers begin developing for Linux platforms.

Pashley

• My page at Citizendium
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2010, 04:34:36 PM »
I recommended Xubuntu (a less resource-intensive version of Ubuntu) in the original post. That is still probably a good choice for some.

However, I've switched to Ubuntu because Google Chrome exists for it and not for Xubuntu; the Linux version assumes various Gnome libraries will be there. Likely I could get Chrome running on Xubuntu, but it would need a lot of fiddling about.

Meanwhile, Ubuntu have a new version, a "netbook remix" intended for small netbook machines. That might suit some better than any of the above.
Who put a stop payment on my reality check?

JShep

• The States - An Informative and Satirical Guide to the United States of America
« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2010, 05:42:17 PM »
Good fun. You can also throw Damn Small Linux on a bootable flash drive for an ultra low footprint OS.

« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2010, 08:24:19 PM »
Ok so I'm pretty special when it comes to computers  and everything I have just read has left my head spinning so i have several questions.

Will installing linux be possible via a virtual drive (my cd drive doesnt work)

my computer sucks and is very old. Will it have trouble running this umbuntu or whatever its called?

will I have compatability issues with  FLV player, Bittorrent etc?

If I install it straight onto my external harddrive, will that be simple enough for me to work out what I'm doing? (terrible English!)

How much of a headache/ time will this give/ take me?

Pashley

• My page at Citizendium
« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2010, 09:58:06 PM »
Will installing linux be possible via a virtual drive (my cd drive doesnt work)

Installing from a USB stick is straightforward. There are instructions somewhere on the Ubuntu docs pages. I prefer the ones at pendrivelinux.com  If you have a large USB stick, at least 4 gigs & preferably more, it is also possible to install Linux so it runs from there, hard drive is not used at all. Performance may be OK; it certainly will not be great.

my computer sucks and is very old. Will it have trouble running this umbuntu or whatever its called?

As a general rule, Linux works better on older hardware than Windows does on the same machine. There are lots of complications & exceptions, though. You can test this with a live CD; boot from the CD and you have a running Linux system, without changing anything on the hard drive.

will I have compatability issues with  FLV player, Bittorrent etc?

The operating system (OS) is the basic software that manages the computer, organises the disk into files and directories, loads other programs, keeps one program out of another's memory, manages the sharing of computing resources among them, ...

If you change OS, say going from Windows to Linux, then no Windows programs will run, or even install. Basically zero. There is a Linux program called Wine that lets some Windows programs run, mostly used for games.

There are music and movie players for Linux and several bittorrent clients, but unless the ones you are used to have Linux versions, you'll have to learn new ones if you switch.

Same for office programs. Microsoft Office does not run on Linux. Open Office does.

If I install it straight onto my external harddrive, will that be simple enough for me to work out what I'm doing? (terrible English!)

Maybe. Can your PC boot from the external drive? Can it if you muck about in the BIOS settings. telling it to boot from USB?

How much of a headache/ time will this give/ take me?

Probably quite a bit. I'd say it is worth it to escape from Microsoft products and avoid mucking about with "pirate" software. You might not find it so.

« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2010, 12:43:44 AM »
well thanks i'm gonna give it a try  as I think it will be more productive and less frustrating than communicating with my coteacher

Pashley

• My page at Citizendium
« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2013, 01:59:45 AM »
Turns out SpaceX run a Linux shop, both offices & spacecraft are Microsoft-free.

http://lwn.net/Articles/540368/

« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2013, 02:34:45 AM »
Turns out SpaceX run a Linux shop, both offices & spacecraft are Microsoft-free.

http://lwn.net/Articles/540368/

I use Linux on my laptop (I think it is very good too) but that there website is the most "Web 1.0" thing I have seen in a while.  Works well in Netscape, I'll give it that though.