Breaking Your Contract in China: New Consequences for Pulling a “Midnight Run”

• 33 replies

xwarrior

Trey Archer has a good article on the issues related to breaking a contract:

http://www.echinacities.com/expat-corner/Breaking-Your-Contract-in-China-New-Consequences-for-Pulling-a-Midnight-Run

One of the new measures (new to me, anyway) introduced this year is an online database listing those who breached their contracts:

http://www.safea.gov.cn/content.shtml?id=12746016

As  the database is maintained by  the State Administration of Foreign Experts Affairs (the most dysfunctional of state bureaucracies) there is every chance that this will never contain more names than the 9 listed.

Then again, there is a chance that the database will become the weapon of choice when it comes to controlling the comings and goings of foreign teachers.

gggggggggg

I have my standards. They may be low, but I have them.
- Bette Midler

Harlequin Takahashi. 

Now that is a name.

Trey Archer has a good article on the issues related to breaking a contract:

http://www.echinacities.com/expat-corner/Breaking-Your-Contract-in-China-New-Consequences-for-Pulling-a-Midnight-Run

One of the new measures (new to me, anyway) introduced this year is an online database listing those who breached their contracts:

http://www.safea.gov.cn/content.shtml?id=12746016

As  the database is maintained by  the State Administration of Foreign Experts Affairs (the most dysfunctional of state bureaucracies) there is every chance that this will never contain more names than the 9 listed.

Then again, there is a chance that the database will become the weapon of choice when it comes to controlling the comings and goings of foreign teachers.

Since many have been blacklisted, I'm surprised this list isn't 9 pages rather than 9 names

Harlequin Takahashi.  

Now that is a name.

What about Slaughter Dexter Carl, Ali Hubdar, Lujan Judith Harbin and Spitler Daniel Bruce. Those are quite the handles

For you to insult me, first I must value your opinion

Escaped Lunatic

• Finding new ways to conquer the world
    • EscapedLunatic.com
Harlequin Takahashi. 

Now that is a name.

Damn, they finally caught up with me. ananananan
I'm pro-cloning and we vote!               Why isn't this card colored green?
EscapedLunatic.com

xwarrior

Stop Press

It seems that some names have got missed off the official The State Administration of Foreign Experts Affairs list. Now, why should that be? How could something like this happen in China? How much would it cost to have a name go missing?

This link throws up some new names:

http://www.foreignhr.com.cn/doc/guojiawaizhuanjufabudeweiguimingdan.pdf

I churned it through MDBG for a translation, so some of the following items will need a correction of detail.

By ForeignHR according to the Government Web sites this document finishing, for your reference.

1. the list according to the State Bureau's Web site informed of breaches compiled the notification sent to all provinces, autonomous regions and municipalities Municipal Bureau of foreign experts Affairs, Bureau of foreign experts Affairs of Xinjiang.
2. foreign employed persons with violations, related employer terminate the employment contract with them, by employing units Foreign experts write off their foreign expert certificate.
3. under informed management of foreign experts in violation of the rules (the Foreign Office [, 2010]102), is now available through external National experts to work in China document management system to achieve a message alert to these illegal expatriate staff and limited approval, And inform the local Bureau of foreign experts Affairs strictly, from the date of notification, three years to ratify these illegal people to foreign countries
Cultural and educational experts working in China.
4. my company Department offers specific background check reports.Illegal foreign staff list (in alphabetical order, update to 2013/02/01) Ordinal name gender nationality passport number of employer violations

1 Ali Hubdar men and KXXX99202 of Xinjiang University of Pakistan malicious breach

2 CAO YE women Australia NXXX9952 Wuxi Centre for a unilateral contract

3 Doyle Dustin Wyatt male United States serious default by the 4XXX0356 school in Karamay

4 DANIEL LEE HOUSE male United States 4XXX20754 University of science and technology's unilateral breach
Male 5 Dirk Holderied Germany CXXXX28F4 Wuxi Institute of a malicious breach

6 GHOGAH HOSIA WIHBONGALE
Men Australia College of UXXX0596 a zhoukou unilateral breach

7 Harlequin Takahashi women United Kingdom 4XXX93142 Nanjing training malicious breach

8 JOSHUA STEPHEN BATES
Male New Zealand EXXX6482 Wuxi malicious breach of a school by ForeignHR according to the Government Web sites this document finishing, for your reference.

9 KRISTIAN MCGUIRE male United States 7XXX15213 a College in Shanghai to break jump

10 KI YAN YOONG man United Kingdom 4XXX19179 Huang Gang ' College's unilateral breach

11 KENNETH JAMES BRYNE MCPHEE
Man United Kingdom Weihai school 7XXX86119 unauthorized departure

12 Kyle Au man United States 7XXX68488 a middle school of Zhengzhou, malicious breach

13 LAURA MEADE woman United Kingdom 1XXX11035 Huang Gang ' College unilateral-default

14 Lujan Judith Harbin women United States 4XXX71453 black training in serious breach of

15 MATTHEW  BENJAMIN WEBB
Man United States 3XXX10855 a Center in Shanghai's unilateral breach

16 ODETTE NGWAFU SUNDAY
Women in Cameroon 8XXX5341 a school in Yancheng forged documents

17 OLIVER ALFRED KEMSLEY
Man United Kingdom 8XXX89435 Huang Gang ' College unauthorized departure

18 OLIVER ROMAN men Australia MXXX3739 Shanghai school's unilateral breach

19 PETER JACK MYERS man
United States
United Kingdom
2XXX21442
7XXX43029
Three Gorges University unilateral breach

20 PAUL TANUE ASONGWE
Male slightly Mai lung 43XXX7637 a school in Yancheng forged documents

21 Slaughter Dexter Carl male United States 4XXX34753 Zhengzhou Institute of unauthorized termination

22 Spitler Daniel Bruce male United States 4XXX73599 a training in Shanxi serious breach

I am not sure if it is worth the effort but someone might like to tidy up the details, especially with regard to the name of the institutions.

« Last Edit: June 05, 2013, 10:32:26 PM by xwarrior »
I have my standards. They may be low, but I have them.
- Bette Midler

"Whibongale" is fun to say.

Guangzhou Writer

• Can use chopsticks
Personally, I've never trusted anyone named Gareth.

The irony is that the biggest offenders never had proper visas in the first place.

Monkey King

"Foreign HR", what a f***ing fantastic name for a company ostensibly involved in cross-cultural relations! 

Their homepage also provides a classic example of one of my pet favorite things about China - the just-for-show "English" button to nowhere.

FYI - you can use these names to Google some message boards (in Chinese) which I have never before encountered.  They contain many secrets, which I considered coveting for myself, but then I decided not to.

Guangzhou Writer

• Can use chopsticks
Thanks for the tip. Was interesting reading.

Personally, I've never trusted anyone named Gareth.

The irony is that the biggest offenders never had proper visas in the first place.

To the bolded -- how can you tell? Am I missing something?

Guangzhou Writer

• Can use chopsticks
I just meant that the people I've known in China who were the kinds that really merited being blacklisted were not eligible to get proper visas and docs, so they would never end up on the official blacklist because the schools were employing them illegally and knew it.

Kind of a catch-22 since the school can't complain to the head muckety-muck and say, "This horrible laowai with fake papers we knew about, who only came to China because of a DUI conviction in Alice Springs (true story), pulled a runner and broke his contract. And we want him banned!"

Ahhh yeah, gotcha. I agree. The worst schools and the worst teachers tend to be the illegal types.

I really wish I knew some of the stories behind the blacklistings here. I bet there are some doozies!

Monkey King

I am willing to bet that a lot of this blacklisting is due to these teachers being involved in certain "extracurricular activities".   Mainly those involving certain far flung regions of Our China, or perhaps those pertaining to certain unpopular religious groups.

Guangzhou Writer

• Can use chopsticks
I would truly love to see a facility for foreign teachers to complain to a similar department about schools, and then the department would measure complaints and apply a similar standard for blacklisting them. The obvious problem with this is that it would essentially create a 2 way type of communication and people who don't need visas to be in the Middle Kingdom are much more fond of the 1 way type of "communication".

How about a safe list of schools approved by SAFEA so that laowais would know which horrible schools to avoid?