Games Consoles

• 12 replies
Games Consoles
« on: October 23, 2013, 04:57:07 AM »
Anybody have games consoles here in China?

I already have a chipped Wii with tonnes of games. I want to get an XBOX or ps3 next.

I am tempted to get a chipped console again just for all the games, but this time I think I want to play online. I am concerned though that the GFW will make playing online a pain in the nether regions. Anybody have any experience of this?

Stil

• ChangshaNotes
Re: Games Consoles
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2013, 05:09:53 AM »
I've had an Xbox 360 for a few years but don't play online.

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2013, 04:49:11 PM »
ah, my kind of thread!
got a ps3, xbox, wii u here, brought from uk.
i play all online, not chipped.
im on a relatively slow 3mb/s download speed, well its slow when considering i connect to the eu psn for games, but GTA5 shows very little lag. you can still download uk games if on a uk machine but yes they are uk prices, GTA5 cost me £49.99 but a chipped console with a 5rmb disc wouldnt work online, and title updates unavailable on xbox i believe (pc download and transfer would still work on ps3).
i only play ps3 and wii u online as its free, xbox needs gold membership.
unless you have a decent collection of friends, i wouldnt bother with online, i think bots on call of duty are better than camping strangers on the web!

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2013, 01:58:16 PM »
ah, my kind of thread!
got a ps3, xbox, wii u here, brought from uk.
i play all online, not chipped.
im on a relatively slow 3mb/s download speed, well its slow when considering i connect to the eu psn for games, but GTA5 shows very little lag. you can still download uk games if on a uk machine but yes they are uk prices, GTA5 cost me £49.99 but a chipped console with a 5rmb disc wouldnt work online, and title updates unavailable on xbox i believe (pc download and transfer would still work on ps3).
i only play ps3 and wii u online as its free, xbox needs gold membership.
unless you have a decent collection of friends, i wouldnt bother with online, i think bots on call of duty are better than camping strangers on the web!

Yes but screaming abuse at bots through your headset just isn't the same!

How is the wii u online?

BrandeX

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2013, 05:02:09 PM »
Generally if you try going online with modded consoles your unit well get blacklisted and banned.

I go the route of "Gaming notebook pc" instead. Play anywhere, or plug into my TV and use wireless 360 controllers. You can buy games online or local bootlegs if you really want I guess. Steam is the best bet and has 4 servers in China for downloads and gaming. They accept Alipay, or Paypal (which I use and have tied to my ICBC account).

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2013, 07:11:31 PM »
admittedly the wii u doesnt have the install base of the other machines, but what i use it for, its great.
highly underrated, got the premium pack with extra game for £200 when hmv had them on offer.
zombi u is fantastic, scariest thing since silent hill 1 on ps1.
will get watchdogs on wii u as its an upgraded version, not bothering with ps4 for at least 2 years.
oh, ps4 will charge an annual fee for online play, just like xbox360 so factor that in when pricing deals.

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2013, 04:53:48 AM »
admittedly the wii u doesnt have the install base of the other machines, but what i use it for, its great.
highly underrated, got the premium pack with extra game for £200 when hmv had them on offer.
zombi u is fantastic, scariest thing since silent hill 1 on ps1.
will get watchdogs on wii u as its an upgraded version, not bothering with ps4 for at least 2 years.
oh, ps4 will charge an annual fee for online play, just like xbox360 so factor that in when pricing deals.

Sounds good, but how is the online play in China?

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2013, 04:56:32 AM »
Generally if you try going online with modded consoles your unit well get blacklisted and banned.

I go the route of "Gaming notebook pc" instead. Play anywhere, or plug into my TV and use wireless 360 controllers. You can buy games online or local bootlegs if you really want I guess. Steam is the best bet and has 4 servers in China for downloads and gaming. They accept Alipay, or Paypal (which I use and have tied to my ICBC account).

Not just banned but I think with the Wii, they send a signal that 'bricks' your console!

The Steam thing sounds interesting. How much would a good-enough gaming notebook set me back if I wanted to go down this route?

« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2013, 04:04:51 PM »
online gaming is exactly the same as elsewhere. i can join and host with my friends back in uk, headsets work fine etc etc.

i heard about the wii brick signal.
 i think its true as in buying the console you agree to not tinker with it.
luckily those with modded ps3/360 dont suffer the same, but id never link a modded one to the internet, just in case!

BrandeX

« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2013, 08:16:56 PM »

Not just banned but I think with the Wii, they send a signal that 'bricks' your console!

The Steam thing sounds interesting. How much would a good-enough gaming notebook set me back if I wanted to go down this route?
gaming notebooks are very expensive actually. about double the price of the same thing in a desktop case. I got my ASUS G-75 ROG last year for about $1200 from the USA and brought over here by a relative. A desktop with the same specs would have been maybe 700 or so at the time. UNless you really want a notebook, I recommend a cheaper desktop case instead. you can get long hdmi cables of several meteres if you need to and plug it into the tv and use wirelss controllers. Steam has a "Big Picture" mode now, which is the same interface as a normal game console might have, designed for gaming on TV.
http://store.steampowered.com/bigpicture

« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2013, 11:37:40 PM »
In my time here I have had

WII (flashed with a harddrive of games)
DS legitimate with games only from the UK
PSP flashed with a memory card full of games
360 flashed with about 100 disks

and my beloved ps3 with all legit games. 

I have the attitude that when I can afford to, I support the industry and I play my ps3 online all the time. Whi,e it is fine for most games, fightning games can be spotty because of lag.

BrandeX

« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2013, 04:40:21 AM »
Not sure what fighters, if any local people are playing. But all the Chinese guys playing JPN/Western games seem to be on SSF4 and KOF XIII atm. King of Combat is a local title that's pretty popular, I didn't care much for it though.

« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2013, 10:06:12 PM »

gaming notebooks are very expensive actually. about double the price of the same thing in a desktop case. I got my ASUS G-75 ROG last year for about $1200 from the USA and brought over here by a relative. A desktop with the same specs would have been maybe 700 or so at the time. UNless you really want a notebook, I recommend a cheaper desktop case instead. you can get long hdmi cables of several meteres if you need to and plug it into the tv and use wirelss controllers. Steam has a "Big Picture" mode now, which is the same interface as a normal game console might have, designed for gaming on TV.
http://store.steampowered.com/bigpicture

Ok, thanks for that.

I just heard Steam is having a massive sale, so I may have to get involved.