• 19 replies

phets72

Re: Relaxed class for end of semester
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2007, 01:01:31 AM »
Missi - you got some great ideas going girlfriend bfbfbfbfbf

Vegemite

« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2007, 04:50:55 AM »
In some of my more advanced classes we told a story.  Student one gets word one, starts the story, then student two gets word two and continues the story.  It turned out to be quite funny.  Not as fun as the other one... trying to think of something else that you could do..... 

I like this one, too and an extra variation I do on it is 'Experts' - I get about six to eight students in a row at the front of the class and someone asks them a question, they must answer with student one saying the first word, student two the second etc. Students like it and gets them thinking quickly. Plus, I accept 'fillers' 'cos they're a natural part of spoken speech, eg.
Question: What is your favourite Chinese festival?
Answer:
Student 1: My
Student 2: favourite
Student 3: festival
Student 4: is
Student 5: umm
Student 6: I
Student 1 (again): think
Student 2: umm
Student 3: Spring
Student 4: Festival
Student 6: because
Student 1: I
Student 2: like...

etc etc etc...

I often stand behind them and try and write every word and sound they make on the blackboard then we look at it as a class. The students often say that it's bad English but I point out that that is how we often speak in normal English...umms and ahs, unfinished sentences, changing thoughts in the middle of a sentence, etc. All perfectly normal...

« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2007, 05:39:32 AM »
I didn't have fun class for my actual grade 6 students - exam is on Friday and there was not time for fun. But for my local grade 6, after we had sort of a test,... I let them watch the end of "The High School Musical" (like 15 mins), though it might get me in trouble. They nearly begged for it and I said ok as long as you won't go home and tell your parents AGAIN that all you did was watching a movie. I already got a notice from school saying that kids should not really watch movies in after school classes. And I actually carefully planned it and made students discuss their favorite movies - A Night At The Museum, Read and Weep and Zathura - and talk about what kind of virtues characters learned about by the end of the movie. It is supposed to be a listening and speaking class (DUH!) and kids in the same class of such different levels. Some can express themselves nearly freely and some can't even understand simple things like "Work TOGETHER" or "Write it down".  aoaoaoaoao Oh, well.

Perhaps the following isn't really good. But I told all the students on few occasions to stop complaining to their parents on teacher when discipline in the class depends on EVERYONE. I told them to start being more assertive and stop others from misbehaving because their parents keep calling the school saying that I stop teaching when kids are noisy and naughty. I also told 2 students today that I wish for them to have REALLY strict teachers in middle school so they'd look back and remembered that in my class they were always treated with respect and understanding. I wonder if it really did get through to them.

George

• My view of China
« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2007, 11:37:51 AM »
All the students are on "study break" until Friday. Then we have 7 days straight. Do you think they are going to bother with Foreign teacher classes that week? I don't think so!! I'm not looking forward to that week.
The higher they fly, the fewer!    http://neilson.aminus3.com/

Eagle

• Through a Jungian Lens
« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2007, 06:46:12 PM »
My students loved the pictures of themselves and their uni as well as a few other photos.  They sang English songs with a gusto that had other classrooms comment on our loudness, even across the square that separates one wing from another wing (we had our windows open).  They had fun - but sadly, I didn't.  Having been teaching so long, I don't get along all that well with chaos, even organized chaos.  Okay, lighten up there old man!
“… whatever reality may be, it will to some extent be shaped by the lens
through which we see it.” (James Hollis)