English declares war on American.

• 49 replies
Re: English declares war on American.
« Reply #45 on: August 22, 2012, 03:28:46 AM »
Actually, the textbook would be wrong. Hansom Cabs began operating in London and Paris early in the 19th Century. The word Taxi is short for Taximeter Cabriolet, a vehicle used for transportation introduced in New York in...err...I believe the 1840's.
Essentially, this whole American/British English debate is odd. The British colonized America, then got royally slapped. Daniel Webster produced the first American English Dictionary. A few alterations of spelling, a whole lot of slang phrases and popular idioms and that is it. I make a point of telling my students that, if one removes the regional slang argot, youth-culture lingo and idioms, the basic difference between English as spoken in the US and that spoken in the UK is spelling and flat/long vowels.
"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination." Oscar Wilde.

"It's all oojah cum spiffy". Bertie Wooster.
"The stars are God's daisy chain" Madeleine Bassett.

A-Train

« Reply #46 on: August 22, 2012, 06:35:26 PM »
Sorry to be nit-picky, but I think you mean Noah Webster not Daniel.  The latter has an equal, but different claim to fame.
"The young do not know enough to be prudent, and therefore attempt the impossible and achieve it, generation after generation.

Pearl S. Buck

« Reply #47 on: August 22, 2012, 06:39:42 PM »
D'oh...my bad...Yes, yes, Noah Webster was the chappie I meant...Honest mistake, please...I won't do it again...don't make me go down to the basement...please... agagagagag agagagagag
"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination." Oscar Wilde.

"It's all oojah cum spiffy". Bertie Wooster.
"The stars are God's daisy chain" Madeleine Bassett.

randyjac

• 老骥伏枥
« Reply #48 on: August 23, 2012, 11:13:16 PM »
Essentially, this whole American/British English debate is odd.
I try to emphasize to students that after the USA and Britannia parted ways linguistically, it was not like Merry Olde England dug in and defended to the death the purity of the tongue of the Bard. English spoken in the UK today is different from that of two-hundred years ago.

Pashley

• My page at Citizendium
« Reply #49 on: August 24, 2012, 03:15:21 PM »
Essentially, this whole American/British English debate is odd.
I try to emphasize to students that after the USA and Britannia parted ways linguistically, it was not like Merry Olde England dug in and defended to the death the purity of the tongue of the Bard. English spoken in the UK today is different from that of two-hundred years ago.

I once took an excellent course on English grammar, 3rd year U level in a linguistics department, from a Kiwi teaching in Canada. His specialty was dialect analysis; his grad students were doing theses on things like the Ottawa valley dialects in areas where successive waves of immigration were French, then Scottish, then German.

According to him, if you wanted Shakespeare pronounced the way he would have, you'd recruit your actors among American hillbillies.
Who put a stop payment on my reality check?