English declares war on American.

• 49 replies

Borkya

Re: English declares war on American.
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2012, 04:40:19 PM »

I've heard that before too.
And I reread that sentence several times (the one in the Economist, not yours!) because it didn't make any sense to me, but they're definitely saying automobile is the Americanism.

Actually, I think much of the article is unclear. In a few points I'm not quite sure which one they mean is the american english and which is the british english. Or maybe I'm just a dumb american who don't understand nothin.

zero

« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2012, 04:47:17 PM »
You mean you're a wee bit daft?

xwarrior

« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2012, 05:20:48 PM »
they're definitely saying automobile is the Americanism.

Definition of car noun from the Oxford Advanced Learner's Dictionary:

car NOUN
1 (also British English formal motor car) (North American English also automobile)
a road vehicle with an engine and four wheels that can carry a small number of passengers
Paula got into the car and drove off.

automobile NOUN
  ˈ(North American English)
a car

http://oald8.oxfordlearnersdictionaries.com/dictionary/car#car__1
I have my standards. They may be low, but I have them.
- Bette Midler

Escaped Lunatic

• Finding new ways to conquer the world
    • EscapedLunatic.com
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2012, 06:20:15 PM »
ppffftttt, you other countries can whine as much as you want about "how america is destroying the english language," or culture or whatever it is these days you whine about. Cause frankly, we don't care. We're too busy rolling over your culture and forcing ours on you.   :lickass:

The Chinese are taking US culture on without being forced.  How many Chinese kids have Tom & Jerry clothing and accessories vs Money King?  Silly as it is, I'm happy that Pleasant Goat and Big Big Wolf at least seems to be a domestic cultural product for Chinese kids (plus, the wolf queen is sort of hot - she could spank me with that frying pan any time she likes).  McD's charges as much or more in China than they do in the USA, and Chinese seem to like it even more than Americans.  Think I'll invest in companies that produce insulin, since it's only a matter of time before China follows Japan's example of bulging waistlines and huge increases in diabetes.

I'm pro-cloning and we vote!               Why isn't this card colored green?
EscapedLunatic.com

« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2012, 01:05:09 AM »
Oh, come now...we all know that British English is the variety where, when spoken, makes the listener immediately aware of the fact that the speaker can trace his lineage back to a chap who was piked to death on Bosworth Field, likes to watch cricket, would upon being punched in the face reply, in an indignant tone, "Now, stteady on there, old chum" and lived for the first 15 years of his life off nothing but crustless cucumber sandwiches, Earl Grey and bread-and-butter pudding agagagagag agagagagag agagagagag
"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination." Oscar Wilde.

"It's all oojah cum spiffy". Bertie Wooster.
"The stars are God's daisy chain" Madeleine Bassett.

NATO

« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2012, 03:15:24 AM »
You guys are worried about "automobile"?

You gotta wonder about any form of English that wilfully refers to man as a c#nt.
A great word. A king (queen?) among words. As is twat, twat is more versatile but not as offensive. You can't go around using the etymology of swear words to launch an attack with out taking some collateral damage yourself. Look at 'fuck', for example. Doesn't really make any sense either, does it.

It's interesting how much the dialects change in the UK, you can trace the changes across and up and down the country. No idea why American dialects don't differ as much, at a guess I'd say it's to do with the shorter history and lack of multiple invading forces over the years.

Anyway I posit to you that you're now engaging in the same kind of antics that you say have riled you so much, it's all a bit silly isn't it - no one chooses the language they speak or how it has developed. Are your colleagues likely to respond to that kinda thing?

Also I suspect you're right about the anti-America thing. I've met people like that, can be a bit boring to be honest - there're lots of them back home.

Also also, it's an article by one writer for The Economist. Just sayin'.

« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2012, 03:52:38 AM »
Well, we have some wonderful emoticons. You could have used:   aeaeaeaeae  or  dddddddddd  or

aqaqaqaqaq  or or or.

It doesn't really matter if it totally matches the feeling you are having as you type.  bfbfbfbfbf ahahahahah 

You have a way with words, and your replies are great to read  :whorship: axaxaxaxax

Welcome to the saloon   agagagagag agagagagag
Be kind to dragons for thou are crunchy when roasted and taste good with brie.

« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2012, 07:12:48 AM »
Oh, come now...we all know that British English is the variety where, when spoken, makes the listener immediately aware of the fact that the speaker can trace his lineage back to a chap who was piked to death on Bosworth Field, likes to watch cricket, would upon being punched in the face reply, in an indignant tone, "Now, stteady on there, old chum" and lived for the first 15 years of his life off nothing but crustless cucumber sandwiches, Earl Grey and bread-and-butter pudding agagagagag agagagagag agagagagag

The veracity of this statement cannot be questioned by anyone anywhere.  agagagagag

« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2012, 07:37:21 AM »
they're definitely saying automobile is the Americanism.

Definition of car noun from the Oxford Advanced Learner's Dictionary:

car NOUN
1 (also British English formal motor car) (North American English also automobile)
a road vehicle with an engine and four wheels that can carry a small number of passengers
Paula got into the car and drove off.

automobile NOUN
  ˈ(North American English)
a car

http://oald8.oxfordlearnersdictionaries.com/dictionary/car#car__1

I read this a few times [pathetic, I know] and finally agree. Oxford, despite their Britishness (haha) usually get it right. [Maybe they always get it right. I lack desire to argue that.] In my experience we [Yanks] most often say car when referring to motor cars but every so often one might use 'automobile' in attempted formality or for reasons unknown to me.

The article is still whacked and great entertainment, but as previously stated it is one article in one, albeit one well respected, magazine. I intend to dissect it after I correct these piles of British/American English papers. It's actually fun to note the varying usage between the two styles** and I think Chinese student's English papers are the best or one of the best sources for a close comparison of the two, but I'm probably wrong.

** Styles, dialects, whatever I use the word 'style' as a comparison only.

I agree the casual use of 'c&&t' when addressing men is just plain astounding. As they say, where I'm from 'them's fightin' words'. Fortunately it has been my observation that it is used only while the subject is absent. So far.

Anyway what the hell have another beer. They're virtual, but dammit they're free.  agagagagag

piglet

• Piglet's House
« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2012, 03:00:28 PM »
I have noticed that American police series on TV do tend to use lovely long words such as "correctional facility "Caucasian youths"" and those sort of long winded self-important sounding descriptives.
Great innit?
For people who like peace and quiet - a phoneless cord

zero

« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2012, 03:19:58 PM »
Piglet, I have to agree that here in the U.S., there is an unfortunate love for bloated euphemisms. When you get old, you don't go to a nursing home, but to a skilled nursing facility.

Escaped Lunatic

• EscapedLunatic.com
« Reply #26 on: March 29, 2012, 03:21:18 PM »
I have noticed that American police series on TV do tend to use lovely long words such as "correctional facility "Caucasian youths"" and those sort of long winded self-important sounding descriptives.
Great innit?

It's part of our all inclusive, non-offensive, make you feel you are special (just like everyone else) political correctness.

Punks no longer get sent to prison for punishment. Misguided youth are sent to correctional facilities to learn how to express themselves in ways that are more socially acceptable.
EscapedLunatic.com

A-Train

« Reply #27 on: March 29, 2012, 09:08:02 PM »
While euphemisms and political correctness abound, I think Piglet is referring to an extra layer of inscrutible jargon that the police, (and worse, the military), bring to the party. They abide by the theory that more syllables mean more precision and never use one word where twelve will suffice.

Makes you want to throw up.  Or as George Carlin said, "... to experience an involuntary, personal, protein spill".
"The young do not know enough to be prudent, and therefore attempt the impossible and achieve it, generation after generation.

Pearl S. Buck

NATO

« Reply #28 on: March 30, 2012, 12:00:29 AM »

correctional facilities

Doesn't sound like something that should exist in a democracy. Brings to mind dystopian, authoritarian worlds. Maybe NK has some "correctional facilities" too.

Btw going back to an earlier point from Isidnar - not sure I believe that languages can be corrupted - today's corruption is tomorrow's rule, innit.

Escaped Lunatic

• EscapedLunatic.com
« Reply #29 on: March 31, 2012, 09:24:18 PM »
Yeah, I think remoulding through labor works better that correctional facility, both descriptively and in practice.
EscapedLunatic.com