• 35 replies

Raoul F. Duke

• Lovable Rogue
  • "Be specific if you order the mushrooms!"
Re: Residence permit queries
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2012, 03:39:46 AM »
Or vice versa...

blblblblbl akakakakak :grouphug: akakakakak bmbmbmbmbm
"Vicodin and dumplings...it's a great combination!" (Anthony Bourdain, in Harbin)

"Here in China we aren't just teaching...
we're building the corrupt, incompetent, baijiu-swilling buttheads of tomorrow!" (Raoul F. Duke)

« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2012, 05:01:53 AM »
Scumbag laoban usually has friends who, while they might realize he's a scumbag, consider him a useful scumbag nonetheless. Lots of times -- actually, I'd say it is pretty mandatory when said scumbag runs a school -- those friends include folks in the PSB.
Thanks for the insight.
We done now.

Escaped Lunatic

• Finding new ways to conquer the world
    • EscapedLunatic.com
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2012, 04:05:30 PM »
The Residency Permit is the thing that is in the passport. There is no such thing as a "Working Permit". Many people (depending on their situation and job) may also have a "Foreign Expert Certificate" which is a separate book.

There is such a thing as an Alien Employment Permit.  Teachers and other "experts" generally get the Foreign Expert Cert.  Other life forms get the Alien Permit. xxxxxxxxxx
I'm pro-cloning and we vote!               Why isn't this card colored green?
EscapedLunatic.com

« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2012, 08:13:12 AM »
The Residency Permit is the thing that is in the passport. There is no such thing as a "Working Permit". Many people (depending on their situation and job) may also have a "Foreign Expert Certificate" which is a separate book.

There is such a thing as an Alien Employment Permit.  Teachers and other "experts" generally get the Foreign Expert Cert.  Other life forms get the Alien Permit. xxxxxxxxxx

What do you have to do to get that then?
We done now.

Raoul F. Duke

• Lovable Rogue
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2012, 01:34:56 PM »
He's joking, Stuffie.

There IS such a thing as a WORK Permit; your employer uses your credentials (ie your degree) to obtain it from the local Labor Bureau. You can't get one by yourself.
"Vicodin and dumplings...it's a great combination!" (Anthony Bourdain, in Harbin)

we're building the corrupt, incompetent, baijiu-swilling buttheads of tomorrow!" (Raoul F. Duke)

« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2012, 12:23:55 AM »
In Taiwan, big nose gets an ARC - Alien Resident Certificate. Just to make you feel welcome.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Resident_Certificate
We done now.

xwarrior

« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2012, 04:21:02 AM »
What do you have to do to get that then?

Eight years ago I had to look after foreign teachers holding different work permits:
a. Foreign Expert Certificate issued to teachers with a degree
b. Alien Employment Permit issued to teachers without a degree
The problem, as I see it, is that there have been significant changes in the regulations relating to residence in China since 2008. As a general rule a degree is now a prerequisite for those wanting to teach in China.
It may still be worth exploring the chances of getting an AEP as a backdoor option but I do not hold out much hope that it will be granted. I think they are given for tradesmen/technicians with needed skills.
A quick flick through Google may give an answer.
I have my standards. They may be low, but I have them.
- Bette Midler

« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2012, 08:20:48 PM »
The problem, as I see it, is that there have been significant changes in the regulations relating to residence in China since 2008. As a general rule a degree is now a prerequisite for those wanting to teach in China.
I believe the current trend is to get some lowlife agency to cook up a degree certificate and bullshit CV for you. Like one of my predecessors who wasn't even aware his agency had done this for him.

I realise the undergrad years can be a bit of a haze, but not knowing you've graduated from an Ivy League uni is something else. The dude couldn't even spell ahahahahah
We done now.

Raoul F. Duke

• Lovable Rogue
« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2012, 09:05:28 PM »
I think they (Alien Employment Permits) are given for tradesmen/technicians with needed skills.

I think you're absolutely right. bjbjbjbjbj

« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2012, 05:57:46 AM »
As this is residence related, I thought I'd tag it on here.

If you have a residence permit and leave the country, you have to re-register with the local PSB when you re-enter. From what I remember last time, this involved taking passport to the coppers (presumably to look at the residence permit details).

What I can't recall is what happens before you leave. Do you have to tell coppers before you go? Do they insist on seeing a passport if this is the case?
We done now.

« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2012, 09:28:19 AM »
No issue before you leave. The need to register with the PSB is within 24 hours of returning from Overseas. I have never had to worry about this personally before because since the change came in I had not left the country and normally it would be handled directly by my University. But this year because of the "winter shutdown" at our university for just over a month in Jan/Feb we are going to need to go to the local station to reregister ourselves within 24 hours of getting back to the city. The University have made it hopefully relatively easy for us by giving us a copy of our current residential registration details from the police and the form we will need to fill out and told us precisely where the small station we need to go to is so hopefully it will not too difficult.  If you have not registered with them after returning from overseas then you can end up being hit with fines (or worse) when you come to renewing your residency permit. The fines and the need to spend a few days in police stations writing "confessions" of fault happened to friends of mine a few months ago.

Sometimes it seems things go by too quickly. We are so busy watching out for what's just ahead of us that we don't take the time to enjoy where we are. (Calvin and Hobbs)

« Reply #26 on: January 19, 2012, 04:35:57 PM »
No issue before you leave.
Must be why I can't remember what happened last time. Nothing happens.
So on this basis, I assume it would be perfectly legit to inform your college/uni that you're leaving the country when you are in the departures lounge.

The need to register with the PSB is within 24 hours of returning from Overseas.
I do remember this though  hhhhhhhhhh
We done now.

« Reply #27 on: January 19, 2012, 09:33:46 PM »

So on this basis, I assume it would be perfectly legit to inform your college/uni that you're leaving the country when you are in the departures lounge.

As far as I know, it's perfectly legit not to tell them: however, common courtesy exists. 

« Reply #28 on: January 19, 2012, 10:29:32 PM »
Quote from: tomhume89 link=topic=7128.msg132746#msstasig132746 date=1326958426
As far as I know, it's perfectly legit not to tell them: however, common courtesy exists.
I would extend the same courtesy employers normally show me for all manner of nonsense - a couple of hours max  bfbfbfbfbf

And if it is legit, why do some stasi employers continually demand that you inform them even if you only leave their backwater for half a day?
We done now.

« Reply #29 on: January 20, 2012, 03:02:52 AM »
Your employer is responsible for your health and safety while you are in China.  That is the reason they want to know where you are going.
Be kind to dragons for thou are crunchy when roasted and taste good with brie.