How Much Time Do You Have to Get a Residence Permit Once You Enter China?

• 19 replies
Hey all! I was wondering how much time does one have to obtain the residence permit once you enter China?

I was planning on flying into China on October 3rd, but with the holiday and all my employer said it would be better if I flew in on the 8th so that everyone would be in the office and (obviously) it would be more convenient for them to show me around and take care of all the paperwork and such that is needed.

The problem is, I kinda don't want to sit around any longer and wait to go to China =p I was thinking of still flying in on the 3rd but maybe going to Shanghai to visit some friends and stay with them for the holiday. My only concern is that if I flew in a week early, maybe this would put me dangerously close to missing the deadline for applying for a residence permit? What do you guys think... is this plan a bad idea? Thanks in advance!

Escaped Lunatic

• Finding new ways to conquer the world
    • EscapedLunatic.com
Re: How Much Time Do You Have to Get a Residence Permit Once You Enter China?
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2011, 08:16:44 PM »
Technically, you've got exactly 30 days to receive your new res permit to replace that Z visa.

In my personal experience, as long as the final paperwork (and your passport) is handed over to the local PSB on/before the 30th day, you should be ok.
I'm pro-cloning and we vote!               Why isn't this card colored green?
EscapedLunatic.com

Pashley

• My page at Citizendium
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2011, 08:42:02 PM »
My information is exactly the same as EL's.
Who put a stop payment on my reality check?

xwarrior

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2011, 10:00:09 PM »
My information is exactly the same as EL's.

Same.

Last month I flew into Guangzhou and spent 10 of my 30 days organising my move to Hangzhou - well, some of that time was devoted to the move and the rest to meeting up with friends, etc.

My new college was not phased by this and managed all the paperwork and certificate/permit process in 20 days.

To be honest, I would prefer not to put a new employer under pressure from Day 1 but the college understood my situation - my return flight had been booked two months previous without knowledge of their suggested date for arrival - and were amenable to the arrangement.

I have my standards. They may be low, but I have them.
- Bette Midler

Escaped Lunatic

• EscapedLunatic.com
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2011, 12:29:54 AM »
Some of the time needed will depend on where you live.  I need to go to 4 police stations.  The first takes 20 minutes.  The second and third take a few days each.  The 4th is the one that issues the res permit.  When I lived inside the city, I only had to go to one.

The next logical question is, what happens if you miss the 30 day deadline?

So far, I've never heard back from anyone who missed it. aoaoaoaoao aoaoaoaoao aoaoaoaoao
EscapedLunatic.com

jpd01

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2011, 01:07:00 AM »
The contact that you have wants you to come after the holiday for a couple of reasons. First of all your 30 days is from your entry date into China and the actual process time (depending on how competent the person doing the process is at your school) doesn't actually take that long.
You will find out that most places like to leave things till the last minute any way so a lot of places will only actually process your paperwork at the latest possible date (lol TIFC) The real reason that your school contact wants you to come on the 8th rather than the 3rd is because of the National holiday. Basically they don't or wont want to have someone meet you at the airport as it will cut into that persons holiday, most Chinese employees will go home to spend time with their family during the holidays and won't be happy to come out and spend a chunk of that precious holiday baby sitting a foreigner.
So basically it's a simple matter of not having anyone to look after you and help you settle in (ie hold your hand)
If you feel confident that you don't need any assistance with settling in and getting things done when you first land then tell them that.
Explain that you don't need anyone to pick you up from the airport and that you can handle yourself until everyone comes back to work and have friend that you can spend time with.
It's exactly the same situation I had 3 years ago when I arrived in China. Just explain that you can handle yourself for the time and that you will be ok to sort it out yourself.
As for the paperwork, you just need to apply within 30 days of landing in China. Not the moment you touch down. In my case the paperwork was not sorted until about 3 weeks into the 30 day time period and my residency permit issued within 4 days of it being handed in.

"I don't understand what I did wrong except live a life that everyone is jealous of." Charlie Sheen.

Crippler

• Dangerous place to post
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2011, 02:22:04 AM »
The only issue that is really important is that the initial paperwork is in to the authorities prior to the end of the 30  days. I have had mine go in on the 30th. day.  The only problem is that while you passport is in the official hands, traveling is a bit more inconvenient. However, for short in province trips the PSB will issue you a form that states that they are processing your visa. When I received my RP, even 2 weeks after the last visa expired the new one would have the start date from the end of the prior visa. I have had this happen more than once in 8 years both in the north and the south..

old34

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2011, 02:33:49 AM »
This should be moved to the Legalities Board so others can benefit in the future, and past posts can benefit the poster.
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad. - B. O'Driscoll.
TIC is knowing that, in China, your fruit salad WILL come with cherry tomatoes AND all slathered in mayo. - old34.

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2011, 08:14:16 AM »
Awesome, thanks for the help everyone, I really appreciate it! I'll probably be a rebel and fly in a little early  ababababab

Raoul F. Duke

• Lovable Rogue
  • "Be specific if you order the mushrooms!"
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2011, 12:39:38 AM »
I don't often recommend EL's advice to anyone, but he's actually right on this one. aoaoaoaoao  You should AT LEAST be well into the process within 30 days.
"Vicodin and dumplings...it's a great combination!" (Anthony Bourdain, in Harbin)

"Here in China we aren't just teaching...
we're building the corrupt, incompetent, baijiu-swilling buttheads of tomorrow!" (Raoul F. Duke)

Escaped Lunatic

• EscapedLunatic.com
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2011, 05:26:40 PM »
Part of the method of true Lunacy is to occasionally throw in some sound advice.  Makes it easier to convince people that doing things like getting a Mao tattoo on their forehead before taking the Res Permit application down to the local PSB is a good idea. ahahahahah
EscapedLunatic.com

Paul

« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2011, 04:20:08 AM »
It depends what visa you arrive on.

If you fly in on a Z visa then you have 30 days.

If you arrive on some other visa...  well, how long is your visa? 

xwarrior

« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2011, 05:00:03 AM »
It depends what visa you arrive on.

If you fly in on a Z visa then you have 30 days.

If you arrive on some other visa...  well, how long is your visa? 

As the topic relates to getting a Residence Permit (which requires entry on a Zvisa) I would say that there is not much point in arriving on any other kind of visa.

If forced into coming in on a Visitor visa (L), I would say you would have 30 days to sort  out the paperwork (Work Permit and Invitation Letter) with a prospective employer  before exiting to Hong Kong to make an application for a Zvisa.

If on a Double-Entry visa I guess you could have 60 days to do that - but that would still require exit/re-entry after 30 days. You have to really like HK (and have lots of money) to go down that road.     

I have my standards. They may be low, but I have them.
- Bette Midler

Paul

« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2011, 05:12:34 AM »
Getting a residence permit doesn't (as a general rule) require entry on a Z visa.

Of course, there may be schools/provinces/localities that don't know this.

I've never had a Z visa.  I'm on my nth residence permit now. 

old34

« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2011, 06:19:10 AM »
I've never had a Z visa.  I'm on my nth residence permit now. 

Is yours the residence permit that is pasted in your passport and looks somewhat like a visa?

Or is it the one on a looseleaf folded sheet of paper (usually green).

Or is it the one that's a slip of yellow or white paper given by your local police station in the neighborhood where your apartment is?
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad. - B. O'Driscoll.
TIC is knowing that, in China, your fruit salad WILL come with cherry tomatoes AND all slathered in mayo. - old34.