Red tape: do I have enough time?

• 16 replies
Red tape: do I have enough time?
« on: May 16, 2011, 01:30:54 PM »
Unsure where to ask this, so here we go.

I've signed for another year with my school. My contact for extending my visa etc is away until June 1st. My visa runs out on June30th, with my flight on July 5th (booked later as I knew I'd be extending somewhere).

My question is: is 30ish days enough turn around to get all documents? As far as I remember, I need to get a medical (3 days turnaround?), a foreign expert's certificate (around a week?) and the residence visa extension (1 week?). I'm not too sure on all of this, but I had a horrible passport problem last year and I don't want any problems again this year.

Cheers!

Escaped Lunatic

• Finding new ways to conquer the world
    • EscapedLunatic.com
Re: Red tape: do I have enough time?
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2011, 03:03:07 PM »
Coming in on a Z gives you only 30 days.

Overall, expect a large amount of panic aoaoaoaoao and other issues llllllllll, but typically, it's possible to get it done in time.

I'm pro-cloning and we vote!               Why isn't this card colored green?
EscapedLunatic.com

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2011, 03:04:00 PM »
If you're at the SAME school you really shouldn't be needing another medical at all! I think extending your visa should take 2 weeks, tops, so you've got heaps of time as long as the school pulls their finger out and do whatever paperwork it is that needs to be done.

FYI, I am changing to a different school, same province. My current visa runs out 5 July so I'm heading home on that date (though will move into housing when I find it a few days beforehand). My school is being pissy about getting the release letter to me (probably won't see it for another month!) so my new school has decided to start the process from the beginning- did the medical a couple of weeks ago, and I think they're organising paperwork now. I will take it home with me (unless they send it to my home address) and apply for the Z visa in Australia, then head back at the end of July.
10 easy steps to stop procrastination.

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2011, 03:25:24 PM »
When I changed schools 5 years ago, I also changed provinces.  I had my medical done in the old province and info was sent to new school. Sent my letter of release with it and my passport to new school.  They sent passport back with new residence permit in it.  I didn't need to apply for a new Z visa as I was already in China and had a residence permit in passport.
Be kind to dragons for thou are crunchy when roasted and taste good with brie.

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2011, 03:34:20 PM »
You're extending your current visa, which shouldn't require a new medical or FEC if I recall correctly. If your school has its act together a month should be plenty of time, just make sure you stay on top of them about it and keep reminding them about the deadlines you have.

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2011, 03:44:13 PM »
Thanks for the replies so far!
If you're at the SAME school you really shouldn't be needing another medical at all! I think extending your visa should take 2 weeks, tops, so you've got heaps of time as long as the school pulls their finger out and do whatever paperwork it is that needs to be done.

I heard that the medical is only good if you haven't left the country in the meanwhile- which I did (returned home during Spring Fest). So that's why I'm a bit worried!

You're extending your current visa, which shouldn't require a new medical or FEC if I recall correctly. If your school has its act together a month should be plenty of time, just make sure you stay on top of them about it and keep reminding them about the deadlines you have.

Unfortunately I can't keep reminding my contact as she's away in the US until June 1st! I have an email to which she has never replied, which could be something, but I can't get on her back because she can't do anything while she's away obviously.

It's a funny position as the school I'm working for is the sister school of another in which I live and have all the FE stuff done.

Escaped Lunatic

• EscapedLunatic.com
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2011, 04:09:53 PM »
Ask the zookeeper Foreign Affairs Officer at the sister school if he/she can assist, at least with some information.  If you verify that the medical is really needed (I slipped out in November and no one made me take a new one, but I'm not on a teaching res permit), then you can go ahead and get that out of the way before June 1st.
EscapedLunatic.com

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2011, 05:02:49 PM »
Ask the zookeeper Foreign Affairs Officer at the sister school if he/she can assist, at least with some information.  If you verify that the medical is really needed (I slipped out in November and no one made me take a new one, but I'm not on a teaching res permit), then you can go ahead and get that out of the way before June 1st.

Ta. I'm unsure whether it would matter what kind of residence permit it is- aren't they all the same? I know there's a small part that says purpose but that just says work...

I've sent an email but as she's never replied to one before (despite telling me she's received them) and being in the US, I'm not so hopeful...

Escaped Lunatic

• EscapedLunatic.com
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2011, 05:49:10 PM »
So far, I've never seen an original or a renewal where the papers couldn't be turned in by the last day.  Of course, having a plane ticket only a few days after the 30 day deadline will make this a real nail biter.

The trick (that I have learned by serving as a bad example of what NOT to do) is to jump on it on June 1st (or 2nd).  If a medical is needed, this should get it back to you by Tuesday, June 7th at the latest.  Also, grab a Chinese friend who can translate (unless your Mandarin is really good), and volunteer to carry your own paperwork around town.

NOTE:  If you have multiple PSB stations to visit (currently, I have to go to 3 before I can go to the central one), all the lesser stations don't care about the medical.  If a medical is needed (it may not be in your case - rules on this seem a bit variable), it will only be needed by the final station that issues the Res Permit.  This means that you can start any sub-station procedures, labor bureau procedures, etc. while waiting for the medical results.
EscapedLunatic.com

Borkya

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2011, 06:28:00 PM »
At my school I didn't need a medical again and I have renewed twice, and been back to the US, so I think your okay on that one.

There have been more than a few close calls at my school for people in situations just like yours. The worst was an Australian family of 4 (2 kids ages 5 and 7) got their stuff back 6pm the night before their morning flight. Yeah, the parents were kinda flipping out.

But I think that's kinda the way it is done around here. I'd just do as others have suggested and staring June 1st become a major pain in the butt until you know things are being processed. Then sit back and cross your fingers!

« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2011, 08:40:41 PM »
For reference for the future (and for the obvious raving fans who want an update), I got it all very safely.

I got the medical done before my contact game back (took around 2/3 days to process), then she applied for my FEC (around 5 days), and then applied for my residence permit/visa (around 5 days again).

So in theory, if you're pushing luck, you could have the whole thing done in around 2 weeks from start to finish. In Changsha, anyway.

And thanks for the advice all!

Escaped Lunatic

• EscapedLunatic.com
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2011, 12:09:16 AM »
Sounds like you've only got one police station to deal with instead of 3 locals and a central.

Lucky bastard! asasasasas
EscapedLunatic.com

« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2011, 06:07:23 PM »
What happens if you come to China on your Z visa and work for school XYZ. Then, after 5 months (In this hypothetical situation, your contract was for a year) you decide to go to another school. What is the proper way to go about going to the new school while maintaining a proper visa and residence permit?

« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2012, 06:41:17 AM »
What happens if you come to China on your Z visa and work for school XYZ. Then, after 5 months (In this hypothetical situation, your contract was for a year) you decide to go to another school. What is the proper way to go about going to the new school while maintaining a proper visa and residence permit?

Hypothetically you ask school XYZ for a release letter and you go. Depending on your contract you might need to give them one month notice. Hypothetically.

However in reality it's not nearly that simple. Unless school XYZ agreed to release you, school XYZ will refuse your release because you have 7 months left on your contract.
Is there some reason they would let you go? Not enough students? Do they pay you on time?

You can't terminate a contract early without good reason.

« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2012, 03:34:23 PM »
Ok. Say they dont pay on time.

If I go to headmaster after a few months of late pay(or some other reason) and say - I want to leave your school can we early terminate the contract? Will they do it no problem or will they be frustrating llllllllll and say ' No way, you have to deal with another 7 months of late pay stupid laowai' ?

Will they ever terminate your contract early with no problem when you have a legitimate reason like that?