Palin for President

• 81 replies

Escaped Lunatic

• Finding new ways to conquer the world
    • EscapedLunatic.com
Re: Palin for President
« Reply #45 on: September 21, 2008, 02:18:27 PM »
...I'd like to correct one thing Spaghetti said: NOWHERE in the New Testament is there are reference to homosexuality.  J.C. never addressed the issue.

Not sure which Bible you're talking about, but the Christian one does in fact mention [read: condemn] homosexuality:

Romans 1:26-27 (King James Version)
"26 For this cause God gave them up unto vile affections: for even their women did change the natural use into that which is against nature:

27 And likewise also the men, leaving the natural use of the woman, burned in their lust one toward another; men with men working that which is unseemly, and receiving in themselves that recompence of their error which was meet."

That's one of the problems with most Bibles (and a BUNCH of Sunday School teachers) - they don't do enough to differentiate between what JC actually said and things written by later followers.  I'm always amazed at some people who claim to be Bible-following Christians who give equal (often greater!?!) weight to phrases selected (sometimes randomly, sometimes out of context) from a long running advice column written by Paul and a few chapters by a handful of others.  Overall, I think Christianity as a whole would have been better off if Paul had written a LOT less.

I'd have to do some digging, but I can't recall any direct quotes from Jesus regarding homosexuality (and a bunch of other issues that He's often given blame/credit for).
I'm pro-cloning and we vote!               Why isn't this card colored green?
EscapedLunatic.com

Lotus Eater

• buk-buk..b'kaaaawww!
« Reply #46 on: September 21, 2008, 04:29:19 PM »
I don't think the people who quote these lines are saying that Jesus said them, they quote the lines from all over the Bible, claiming that they come from God via the authors - Paul etc.  They also conveniently leave out all the bits that they figure don't apply today or to them - women wearing trousers, the wearing of mixed fabrics etc etc.  Any group of people will selectively use what suits them best in their presentation of their ideas.

<Remainder clipped. No fault here but getting rid of a sub-thread that we definitely don't want here... -R>
« Last Edit: September 21, 2008, 07:32:53 PM by Raoul Duke »

Raoul F. Duke

• Lovable Rogue
  • "Be specific if you order the mushrooms!"
« Reply #47 on: September 21, 2008, 07:38:33 PM »
Sweet Jeezus...can we not have a single day here that's not fraught with drama any more?

Disagreement is fine. Even anger can be acceptable. Channeling those things into personal attacks will not be tolerated.

Lighten the f@#k up.

Let's lock this one down a while and see if cooler heads can steer it back on track later.
I'll leave you with one in the "If you have to ask, you probably don't want to know" category...

"Vicodin and dumplings...it's a great combination!" (Anthony Bourdain, in Harbin)

"Here in China we aren't just teaching...
we're building the corrupt, incompetent, baijiu-swilling buttheads of tomorrow!" (Raoul F. Duke)

Raoul F. Duke

• Lovable Rogue
  • "Be specific if you order the mushrooms!"
« Reply #48 on: September 23, 2008, 02:58:14 AM »
OK...with the hothead no longer a problem, let's try this again.

It's a thread about your choice of PALIN, right? llllllllll
"Vicodin and dumplings...it's a great combination!" (Anthony Bourdain, in Harbin)

"Here in China we aren't just teaching...
we're building the corrupt, incompetent, baijiu-swilling buttheads of tomorrow!" (Raoul F. Duke)

Shroomy

« Reply #49 on: September 23, 2008, 03:00:40 AM »
It's a thread about your choice of PALIN, right? llllllllll

Right!  I got my absentee California ballot and I'm writing Michael Palin in immediately. bfbfbfbfbf
Back home and still confused about what the locals are saying.

« Reply #50 on: September 23, 2008, 03:03:21 AM »
Who is Michael Palin???

Comment made today by another teacher "She is taking all the heat and nobody is paying (negative) attention to McCain!  Keeping the heat away from him is to his benefit! llllllllll
Be kind to dragons for thou are crunchy when roasted and taste good with brie.

Lotus Eater

• buk-buk..b'kaaaawww!
« Reply #51 on: September 23, 2008, 03:32:28 AM »
DS Michael Palin is one of the Monty Python team, and now has a fantastic job making television travelogues in interesting parts of the world.  They are worth buying/downloading/stealing!! He is a classic - and would make a better Prez than McCain, Bush and Sarah all rolled up together.

Look for Flying Circus, Life of Brian, Search for the Holy Grail, plus Pole to Pole, Himalayas, Sahara and others.

Spaghetti

• Goo Goo Muck
« Reply #52 on: September 23, 2008, 03:49:10 AM »
Eric Idle* for ambassador to China. He actually can speak mandarin**.

*he's been an 'merican citizen for a while now
** beyond "I Like Chinese"
"Most young people were getting jobs in big companies, becoming company men. I wanted to be an individual."
Haruki Murakami

old34

« Reply #53 on: September 23, 2008, 04:53:35 AM »
Who is Michael Palin???

Go back to the very first post in this whole thread.
Click the link.
Watch the video.
That's Michael Palin.
That's the original subject of this thread.
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad. - B. O'Driscoll.
TIC is knowing that, in China, your fruit salad WILL come with cherry tomatoes AND all slathered in mayo. - old34.

Escaped Lunatic

• EscapedLunatic.com
« Reply #54 on: September 23, 2008, 01:33:18 PM »
Eric Idle* for ambassador to China. He actually can speak mandarin**.

So can Da Shan, but I don't hear any of our Canuckastani Saloonies calling for him to be their ambassador.
 axaxaxaxax
EscapedLunatic.com

George

• My view of China
« Reply #55 on: September 23, 2008, 02:15:22 PM »
That's because he is not quite as smart as Palin!
The higher they fly, the fewer!    http://neilson.aminus3.com/

Ruth

« Reply #56 on: September 23, 2008, 04:33:35 PM »
Da Shan had his moment of representing Canada during the opening ceremonies of the Olympics.  That's all he gets.
If you want to walk on water, you have to get out of the boat.

Spaghetti

• Goo Goo Muck
« Reply #57 on: September 23, 2008, 06:55:42 PM »
Mark Roswell has contributed nothing to the planet. Eric Idle, on the other hand, has brought joy tom any generations of earthlings, over many cultures and continents. Roswell tried his hand at Chinese style comedy and while he impressed locals with his timing and pronunciation, not one local has ever called him funny, as in hilarious. He's no Zhao Benshan. ON the other hand, Idle could rest on his Python laurels and wipe the floor with Da bien-shan in terms of multi-cultural and multi-generational influence and significance. That's 1/4th of what has made both men famous in their respective circles. After the 80s era stand up bits, what is left for Roswell? Commercials and a "learning Chinese" TV show that has never once actually made a foreigner one bit closer to mastering Chinese.

Idle, on the other hand, has The Ruttles, plus a sizable amount of pre and post Python work that towers above the Canadian canard of Olympic brown nosery.

Then there's ethics. Idle's never been implicated in embezzling tax payer's money for foreign tv productions in his homelands (by birth and adoption). IS there even an ever growing undercurrent of anti-Idle sentiment on this planet? I wonder.

In summation, to bring up Mr. Roswell in comparison to Mr. Idle is similar to putting lipstick on a pig bibibibibi

Now we are full circle with the dueling Palins! ahahahahah

"Most young people were getting jobs in big companies, becoming company men. I wanted to be an individual."
Haruki Murakami

George

• My view of China
« Reply #58 on: September 24, 2008, 10:38:57 AM »
How the rest of the world would vote.......
http://www.iftheworldcouldvote.com/thanks
The higher they fly, the fewer!    http://neilson.aminus3.com/

Escaped Lunatic

• EscapedLunatic.com
« Reply #59 on: September 24, 2008, 12:54:50 PM »
Commercials and a "learning Chinese" TV show that has never once actually made a foreigner one bit closer to mastering Chinese.

Do you mean I should quit watching him every day on CCTV9?   bibibibibi

In summation, to bring up Mr. Roswell in comparison to Mr. Idle is similar to putting lipstick on a pig bibibibibi

What shade of lipstick and which pig?   ahahahahah
EscapedLunatic.com