• Lord of Avalon
  • 八九不离十
    • Catania Vibe
Another one bites the dust: RIP Yeltsin
« on: April 24, 2007, 04:55:19 AM »
 agagagagag agagagagag
 agagagagag agagagagag

a chilled vodka to commemorate someone special
alors régressons fatalement, eternellement. Des débutants, avec la peur comme exutoire à l'ignorance et Alzheimer en prof d'histoire de nos enfances!
- Random food, music and geek tales from the Catania, Sicily: http://ctvibe.com

Re: Another one bites the dust: RIP Yeltsin
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2007, 05:47:03 AM »
Oh, he passed away? I gotta start reading news!
Rest in peace, Boris.

decurso

• Chinese Rocks
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2007, 07:19:20 AM »
 One of the great statesmen of the 20th century....certainly one of the most underappreciated.

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2007, 01:46:02 PM »
Bye Bye BY.
Courage is not the absense of fear, but rather the judgement that something else is more important than fear.

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2007, 02:08:24 PM »
Decurso, you must be joking, right?

Mr Nobody

• This isn't Kansas, Toto.
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2007, 04:25:13 PM »
Cheers, Boris.

May you ever be remembered as the man who brought down the Soviet Bloc.
Just another roadkill on the information superhighway.

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2007, 04:46:53 PM »
Yes, a complete and utter tosser who took Russia away from the sensible path it was taking towards slow change to a social democratic state, to being a gangsterish place run by autocrats and some of the most corrupt billionaires on the planet.  Nice going.
It is too early to say.

decurso

• Chinese Rocks
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2007, 06:33:16 PM »
My bad Cheeks...I was thinking of Gorby.Don't know how I made that mistake...the air quality must be making me prematurely senile.

Nolefan

• Lord of Avalon
  • 八九不离十
    • Catania Vibe
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2007, 06:26:42 PM »
this little article really summarizes how I feel about him... Great Man that TRIED to do great things

MOSCOW -- Boris Yeltsin was an immense and unparalleled figure in Russian history. Today he remains largely unappreciated by his fellow countrymen, and most Russians think of him as a negative figure, but last night thousands of people lined up to bid farewell to their first president, waiting for many hours outside Moscow's biggest Orthodox cathedral, where his body was laid.

Yeltsin was the first Russian politician whose legitimacy rested on the genuine popular support of the masses -- and he brought public politics to a country where for centuries politics had been confined to the czars' court intrigues and Politburo fights behind the curtain.

Unlike his predecessor Mikhail Gorbachev and his successor, Vladimir Putin, Yeltsin was able to overcome his Soviet background. After rising to a high-ranking position in the Communist Party, he reformed into a staunch anti-communist and associated himself with Russia's liberals and Westernizers, including prominent Soviet dissident Andrei Sakharov. Yeltsin was a statesman with a clear vision and a strong sense of purpose: He committed himself to ridding Russia of communism and attaining freedom for his country, whose people had always lived in fear of the state.

Yeltsin achieved both goals: He made his victory over communism irreversible, and he turned Russia into a free nation. The coup in 1991 was above all a revolution -- even if it proved short-lived -- of public attitudes. The Russian people overcame their fear, they came to believe in freedom and in themselves, and they united to change the country's direction.

Yeltsin was very much a Russian character -- unrestrained and unrestrainable, very emotional, even passionate. He was a natural politician, a tenacious warrior and a survivor who loved risk and excelled in times of crisis. In a way, his rule was a permanent crisis, as he faced fierce, irreconcilable opposition from the Communist Party that disrupted every move he sought to make. His drinking bouts and bizarre escapades were probably the only relief he had from the terrible strain.

Yeltsin made many mistakes. Some were inevitable; some probably could have been avoided. But he took responsibility for all that he did. He probably tormented himself more than any of his harshest critics did. He yearned to make his country a better place and gave his heart, which was already weak, to his people. But he was running against time: The hardship and turmoil of the early post-communist years left the Russian people frustrated and disillusioned, and they came to hate him as fiercely as they had loved him only a few years earlier. His compatriots, having no experience with freedom, failed to use their newfound options to make their lives better; they expected him to be their benefactor, and when he failed to deliver they resented and condemned him. His efforts to establish a multiparty system, representative government, and an independent media and judiciary remain unappreciated, and during the rule of his successor, the phrase "the chaos of the '90s" has been firmly tied to Yeltsin's tenure.

Though Yeltsin set the path for democracy and freedom, he failed to secure them and was forced to step down in December 1999 and anoint a successor rather than democratically transfer authority. The new president, Putin, remained personally loyal to Yeltsin: Within hours of Yeltsin's death Monday, Putin spoke movingly about his legacy and ensured that the nation would pay due tribute to its first president. Putin even postponed his state of the country address and announced a day of national mourning.

But Putin's policies have largely destroyed what was left of Yeltsin's political achievement. While Yeltsin was an innovator seeking to create and nurture a free Russia with public participation and a limited role for the state, Putin scrapped the fledgling institutions and political freedoms and pushed Russia back toward its traditional track: loyal bureaucrats instead of statesmen; and an omnipotent and forbidding state and an impotent society, deeply alienated from each other.

The defeat of communism is mostly regarded now as but an episode in a struggle for power at the top. Most of those inebriated with joy and a sense of achievement back in August 1991 today feel ashamed of their naivete and idealism. From the early days of his tenure, Putin strongly dissociated himself from Yeltsin's efforts. In a series of symbolic moves after he became president, Putin got rid of the new state anthem that Yeltsin had adopted and brought back the old Soviet one. He also stopped the celebration of the new Russian national holiday Yeltsin had introduced.

Throughout his presidency, though, Yeltsin was the master of political symbols. The sight of him atop a tank has become the most recognized image of the end of communism. His death just one week after a small, peaceful political rally in Moscow was extinguished by 9,000 riot policemen -- complete with beatings and unlawful detentions -- looks like a symbolic protest against the trampling of freedom, a cause to which he devoted himself.

Masha Lipman, editor of the Carnegie Moscow Center's Pro et Contra journal, writes a monthly column for The Post.
alors régressons fatalement, eternellement. Des débutants, avec la peur comme exutoire à l'ignorance et Alzheimer en prof d'histoire de nos enfances!
- Random food, music and geek tales from the Catania, Sicily: http://ctvibe.com

Eagle

• Through a Jungian Lens
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2007, 06:48:07 PM »
You gotta love those flawed beings who have a vision and the will to follow a vision.  Heros are strange and wonderful beings, for the most part, wounded.
“… whatever reality may be, it will to some extent be shaped by the lens
through which we see it.” (James Hollis)

« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2007, 12:20:18 AM »
Never really thought of him that way.  I always thought more highly of Gorbachev.  And I always figured Putin to be Stalin with less power.

Cheeky, what say you?
And there is no liar like the indignant man... -Nietszche

Nothing is so fatiguing as the eternal hanging on of an uncompleted task. -William James

englishmoose.com

« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2007, 04:27:50 PM »
I like both Gorbachev and Putin. Though about Putin I have mixed feelings. Being myself from a military family with a certain KGB past, I have an idea of what kind of power there can be. Putin is on one hand is quite young - THE YOUNGEST president/leader in Russian history (I am not talking about Tsars - rather after the revolution time). He is well-spoken and thinks for himself. Perhaps as any other leader he has to put up with a lot of bureaucracy and corruption. But that's something that won't go away too soon. Plus, in Russia the government works very mysterious ways - as if there are 2 instead of one.
Anyway, I have been out of country for 5 years and I admit, I don't follow much the news (only major ones). Not because I don't care but because I rather don't need more stress than it is already especially because there is absolutely nothing I can do.

« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2007, 12:43:15 AM »
We in the West haven't had to address the problem of power until recently nowish.  But we're living that Bismark quote about sausages and laws now.

America especially has had to ask themselves whether torture, curtailing human rights, imposing censorship and keeping secrets from its own citizens is justified in the name of security.

Putin has done all these things, but within Russia most voters seem to back these measures as necessary to keep the fledgling democracy afloat.

Gorbachev, on the other hand, suddenly halted democratic and capitalist reforms one year.  This was broadly interpreted in the West as a compromise with conservative forces in the country, but as a deep betrayal by Russian voters.

Same thing with a far dumber leader, Dubya, who insisted the world was on the brink of destruction and on this basis begged America to give him a virtually free hand to invade, detain and torture, wiretap and control the world.  Enough voters backed him, and here we are.

Democracy is increasingly portrayed as a wishywashy and ineffective system of government that cannot prevail against internal and external threats.
And there is no liar like the indignant man... -Nietszche

Nothing is so fatiguing as the eternal hanging on of an uncompleted task. -William James

englishmoose.com

Lotus Eater

• buk-buk..b'kaaaawww!
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2007, 03:56:15 AM »
We in the West haven't had to address the problem of power until recently nowish.  But we're living that Bismark quote about sausages and laws now.

America especially has had to ask themselves whether torture, curtailing human rights, imposing censorship and keeping secrets from its own citizens is justified in the name of security.

Putin has done all these things, but within Russia most voters seem to back these measures as necessary to keep the fledgling democracy afloat.

As far as I can see most western leaders have done very similar things whilst pretending to democracy, and the voters have done little to stop them. Check out the "anti-terrorism' laws that now pervade the US and Oz - how much is truly different?  Did voters really understand what they were letting themselves in for?

Not as far as I am concerned.  At least dictators are 'cleaner' in their rule of dictatorship - you will obey and not complain, I'm not here to govern for your benefit.

« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2007, 06:09:19 AM »
Actually, the voting system in Russia was different before we had so-called democracy established. The whole event of 1991 came out basically of nowhere. Yes, there were signs. Yes, there was opposition. But let's see it a different way: Gorbachev was way too progressive for Russia. So when he implemented changes that were cutting short the corrupted government, they decided to go another way and create so-called revolution. Which was rather a take over - couldn't be done easier.