Anyone Been To Czecho?

• 6 replies

Raoul F. Duke

• Lovable Rogue
  • "Be specific if you order the mushrooms!"
Anyone Been To Czecho?
« on: May 17, 2007, 03:19:30 AM »
(Also known as the Czech Republic; I demand that the middle 'o' in 'Czechoslovakia' be accounted for... hhhhhhhhhh)

A local corporate gig is sending a group to this country sometime soon, and they're hoping to find someone who can tell them a bit about life there.

I've heard very nice things about the Czech Republic. I know about good beer. I know about very pretty but unreasonably-high-maintenance blonde women. I know a bit about their history. But I know little else.
I don't know if the Suzhou expat community has anyone or not...especially one who's sober occasionally. I tried Loops, on the hopeful theory that all Eastern European countries are more or less the same and all their denizens know each other, but he's never been there.

Anyone here spent any time in Czecho? Even a visit? I'd like to find someone who can either swing by at some point and meet the kids, or at least ednucate me enough to go in and fake it for an hour or two.
What the hell, it's China. agagagagag It'd at least be more prep than they'll have otherwise...
"Vicodin and dumplings...it's a great combination!" (Anthony Bourdain, in Harbin)

"Here in China we aren't just teaching...
we're building the corrupt, incompetent, baijiu-swilling buttheads of tomorrow!" (Raoul F. Duke)

Vegemite

Re: Anyone Been To Czecho?
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2007, 03:47:39 AM »
I've been a couple of times to Czechoslovakia, but that was way back in the 80s - now, it no longer exits.

So any info I could give you would be way dated...but I liked the country. On my first trip through one of my highlights was sitting down on the main bridge to rest my poor, wee, weary feet. Whilst sitting there a couple of Americans came up and the man remarked about the poor gypsy, threw me some money and then took my photo! If only he knew that the 'gypsy' photo he was showing back home to his family and friends was actually a Kiwi backpacker resting her blistered feet. ahahahahah

BamBam

• The Learning Tunnel
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2007, 03:54:54 AM »
This might not actually be helpful, but when I was in Vegas a few years ago, I went down for a morning soak in the hot tub, and I ended up in the middle of dozen or so ladies on a university trip from Czecho (Czech Republic).  They were amazing!  They didn't seem to be high maintenance to me, and GOD were they fine.  Friendly too.  They left a lasting impression that I will never forget.  With all the eye candy in Vegas, that's saying something.

The morning I met them was the morning I was checking out and leaving.  I'll always wonder, "What If..."
Those that think they can, and those that think they can\'t are both right.

Raoul F. Duke

• Lovable Rogue
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2007, 04:08:33 AM »
They didn't seem to be high maintenance to me

Maybe ya just didn't have the chance to get properly acquainted.  uuuuuuuuuu
"Vicodin and dumplings...it's a great combination!" (Anthony Bourdain, in Harbin)

we're building the corrupt, incompetent, baijiu-swilling buttheads of tomorrow!" (Raoul F. Duke)

BamBam

• The Learning Tunnel
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2007, 04:18:10 AM »
It was Vegas.  The term "properly acquainted" would probably be considered an oxymoron.
Those that think they can, and those that think they can\'t are both right.

icebear

• ????
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2007, 05:14:55 AM »
I spent 6 months living and studying in Prague during 2005, and took several trips to the countryside for weekends. If you can point your questions a bit more I'll do my best to answer them. A friend of mine, also living and teaching here in SZ, spent a year doing the same, so between us we should hopefully be able to handle what you've got cooking.

BTW, the Czech Republic (abbreviated CZ) is definitely not 'eastern Europe'. Such statements at best are seen as inaccurate, and at worst perceived as derogatory (countries get poorer as you move east, and the CZ has a bit of a chip on its shoulder as far as being one of the relatively well to do ex-Soviets). Central Europe buddy.

Raoul F. Duke

• Lovable Rogue
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2007, 05:43:17 AM »
Central Europe buddy.

When in the company of Czechs, sure.  ahahahahah

Thanks, Icebear. Let me find out some more about this and figure out the thing to do next.
Maybe the company will pay to fly you up here to The Good Part and talk to them. bfbfbfbfbf
Maybe winged monkeys will come flying up out of my butt, too...