Anyone up FAST for a high school job in Suzhou?

• 0 replies

Raoul F. Duke

• Lovable Rogue
  • "Be specific if you order the mushrooms!"
Anyone up FAST for a high school job in Suzhou?
« on: July 08, 2007, 08:41:42 PM »
I'm turning down a job here in favor of another one. If anyone's interested I'd like to help the other job find someone to fill the gap...

It's a private high school. There's a 3-week special class starting August 1 (hence the need for speed) involving help prep some students for a Hotel School; mainstream English courses start September 1. The salary is 10,000 RMB a month for 25 45-minute periods per week. It's a 10-month contract (actually 11, I think, with the August classes). A Residence Permit is provided, but there's not much else in the way of benefits. The location is a rather nice neighborhood in Suzhou's New District- far west part of the city.

Why did I turn it down?

1) It's high school, and please believe me when I tell you personally I'd MUCH rather shoot high school students than attempt to teach them. I got a chance to teach adults and I took it.

2) They want me there in the morning. All I want to do in the morning, if I can't simply remain asleep, is smoke, drink coffee, and curse.

3) It'd be the commute from Hell. It's far west; I'm just east of the center of town. I'd have to skate across the busy downtown areas to get there, through the worst of rush hour. I COULD move, but I don't want to. I love where I am, and I don't want to relocate to the New District.

4) 25 periods of high school class is too much for me. I'm old and high-strung. ;-{)

However, the money is not too bad for Suzhou. You should be able to find decent housing in the New District for 2000 per month or less.
If you're interested in this, and can provide fast, temporary relief, let me know by e-mail or PM and I'll help you connect.
"Vicodin and dumplings...it's a great combination!" (Anthony Bourdain, in Harbin)

"Here in China we aren't just teaching...
we're building the corrupt, incompetent, baijiu-swilling buttheads of tomorrow!" (Raoul F. Duke)