A quick visa question.

• 5 replies
A quick visa question.
« on: October 22, 2013, 09:36:30 PM »
Ok, so, I'm moving to Shanghai but I'm still waiting for the visa. My residents permit expires on the 29th, my simple question is this: How soon do you have to get out of the country? Would I be able to leave on the date of expiration (next Tuesday) or is there a leave-before/at least 48hrs before rule, or anything like that?

Also, does anyone have recent experience of attaining transfer visa for Shanghai? Does it definitely take all 15 days it's supposed to?
I'm hoping to get lucky....it's enough stress moving with out the added HK run etc

Thanks for all replies, sorry to be boring  kkkkkkkkkk

cruisemonkey

• You could be next.
Re: A quick visa question.
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2013, 09:13:18 AM »
You should be fine until midnight on the day of expiry.
The Koreans once gave me five minutes notice - I didn't know what to do with the extra time.

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2013, 07:13:24 PM »
i thought so too, but didnt want to be the first to say it!
do hong kong visa runs still work? heard they were getting tricky...

cruisemonkey

• You could be next.
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2013, 10:19:28 PM »

A late arrival teacher at my uni who came on an 'L' did a successful HK visa run for a 'Z' just last week. However, like anything in China, it may have changed without notice five minutes ago (or will change without notice five minutes from now) depending on the mood of the 'officials'.

P.S. The 'L' thing was a recruiter fuck-up... not the uni's.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2013, 10:26:44 PM by cruisemonkey »
The Koreans once gave me five minutes notice - I didn't know what to do with the extra time.

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2013, 02:06:24 AM »

A late arrival teacher at my uni who came on an 'L' did a successful HK visa run for a 'Z' just last week. However, like anything in China, it may have changed without notice five minutes ago (or will change without notice five minutes from now) depending on the mood of the 'officials'.

P.S. The 'L' thing was a recruiter fuck-up... not the uni's.

A friend of mine got in touch with an agency in Hong Kong and they told him they process his Z visa documents in Hong Kong but as far as I'm aware the new laws state that you must go back to your home country to process it.

I've also heard it varies from province to province whether or not you can do it in Hong Kong or your home country.

old34

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2013, 02:20:38 AM »
Yes. All of the above.
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad. - B. O'Driscoll.
TIC is knowing that, in China, your fruit salad WILL come with cherry tomatoes AND all slathered in mayo. - old34.