Movie/film thread: resurrected

• 2327 replies
Re: Movie/film thread: resurrected
« Reply #2100 on: March 27, 2017, 11:18:47 PM »
"HIDDEN FIGURES"." This is the incredible untold story of three African-American women working at NASA, who served as the brains behind one of the greatest operations in history: the launch of astronaut John Glen into orbit. This was the stunning achievement that restored the nation's confidence, turned around the Space Race and galvanised the world. The visionary trio crossed all gender and race lines to inspire generations to dream big." Calach, I'm pretty sure that you will like this one as will EL and several other movie buffs.  To be quite honest, I was surprised that it had the impact on me which it had. bfbfbfbfbf I hope that some of you folk will see it and give me your opinions. bjbjbjbjbj

Saw that. It is good.
when ur a roamin', do as the settled do o_0

cruisemonkey

• You could be next.
« Reply #2101 on: March 29, 2017, 11:02:07 AM »
"HIDDEN FIGURES".
I hope that some of you folk will see it and give me your opinions. bjbjbjbjbj

I thought it was really good... except for the scene where a TV reporter says "Alan Shepard and Freedom 7 will reach an altitude of 106 miles per hour". WTF?

I Googled mistakes/errors in the movie, but couldn't find anything. Perhaps it is a tongue-in-cheek 'poke' at the stupidity of the writers of Star Wars who had Hans Solo say of the Millennium Falcon "It's the ship that made the Kessel Run in less than twelve parsecs." But, I doubt it. It seems people in Hollywood just don't understand while speed and distance are related, they're not interchangable.
The Koreans once gave me five minutes notice - I didn't know what to do with the extra time.

« Reply #2102 on: March 29, 2017, 02:39:50 PM »
"HIDDEN FIGURES".
I hope that some of you folk will see it and give me your opinions. bjbjbjbjbj

I thought it was really good... except for the scene where a TV reporter says "Alan Shepard and Freedom 7 will reach an altitude of 106 miles per hour". WTF?

That particular goof was so outstandingly jarring I assumed it had to have been part of actual archival footage - as in, some actual reporter did say exactly that on live TV back in 1961. But I can't find any Google verification.

Escaped Lunatic

• Finding new ways to conquer the world
    • EscapedLunatic.com
« Reply #2103 on: March 29, 2017, 05:38:18 PM »
Stupidity quote from an actual reporter or stupid dialog written by a "Hollywood professional"?  I find both explanations easily plausible. kkkkkkkkkk
I'm pro-cloning and we vote!               Why isn't this card colored green?
EscapedLunatic.com

« Reply #2104 on: March 30, 2017, 11:44:17 AM »
"Beauty and the Beast"; This is described as being the fantastic journey of Belle, a bright, beautiful and independent young woman who is taken prisoner by a beast in his castle. It starred Emma Watson and Dan Stevens.  To be honest, I didn't think it would do much for me except fill in some time. I was pleasantly surprised. I found quite a few things to make me laugh or smile. Has anyone else seen it yet?

Escaped Lunatic

• EscapedLunatic.com
« Reply #2105 on: March 30, 2017, 03:30:43 PM »
Haven't seen this version yet.

The basic plot line of the story does make me wonder.  Seems to me that it boils down to "If you are a hideous beast who can't get a date, kidnap some lovely young thing, try not to terrorize her too much, and hope Stockholm Syndrome leads to a relationship."
EscapedLunatic.com

cruisemonkey

• You could be next.
« Reply #2106 on: March 31, 2017, 02:11:25 AM »
Seems to me that it boils down to "If you are a hideous beast who can't get a date, kidnap some lovely young thing, try not to terrorize her too much, and hope Stockholm Syndrome leads to a relationship."

I haven't seen it either (it's only available on a 'Cam' torrent so far... and I won't watch' Cams').... but the plot leads me to believe I may have hope.  afafafafaf afafafafaf

P.S. Another thing that bothered me about Hidden Figures was you don't see anyone smoking in the movie. The reality was almost everyone smoked... and the air at Mission Control was so thick with cigarette, pipe & cigar smoke, you could have cut it with a knife.
The Koreans once gave me five minutes notice - I didn't know what to do with the extra time.

Escaped Lunatic

• EscapedLunatic.com
« Reply #2107 on: March 31, 2017, 02:00:11 PM »
P.S. Another thing that bothered me about Hidden Figures was you don't see anyone smoking in the movie. The reality was almost everyone smoked... and the air at Mission Control was so thick with cigarette, pipe & cigar smoke, you could have cut it with a knife.

Hollywood actually has to add warning messages about "historical smoking" to movies as part of the rating box.

Also, I have a suspicion that with fewer and fewer actors smoking (tobacco at least), there have probably have been complaints about having to work on a set with a bunch of burning cigarettes.
EscapedLunatic.com

cruisemonkey

• You could be next.
« Reply #2108 on: April 03, 2017, 11:13:31 PM »
The Vessel (2016)

Booooring (watched 30 min. and deleted it). The critics call it "dream like"... they're right, and it is... because it puts you to  awawawawaw

« Reply #2109 on: April 04, 2017, 01:48:43 PM »
The Discovery (2017)

Not a B movie, but if watched as one, is excellent. Robert Redford discovers scientific proof that there is an afterlife.

bfbfbfbfbf bfbfbfbfbf

cruisemonkey

• You could be next.
« Reply #2110 on: April 07, 2017, 02:45:08 PM »
The Founder (2016)

Michael Keaton gives a good performance as Ray Kroc the 'founder' of McDonalds. A salesman hustler, his dogged determination, ambition and persistence build a grudging admiration in the viewer while also a simultaneous repulsion at his 'flexible' ethics and (completely legal) slimeball actions. The viewer comes to realize, without him McDonalds as we know it simply would not exist.

8 out of 10

« Reply #2111 on: April 08, 2017, 11:59:18 AM »
GHOST IN THE SHELL: This is a SCI FI film starring Scarlett Johansson. I think some of you folk might find it interesting, especially the cinematography and special effects. I have NEVER seen such along listing at the end of the film re special effects etc. I usually don't bother with this type of movie, but I had nothing left to see; I was surprised that it kept me interested. bfbfbfbfbf

« Reply #2112 on: April 08, 2017, 04:22:21 PM »
Underworld Pentalogy (2003-17) (...and counting)

Currently there are five Underworld movies (but there will be a sixth and possibly a seventh - hooray?). Underworld, Evolution, Rise of The Lycans, Awakening, and Blood Wars. First movie is probably best movie, although the second movie tells a better(ish) story. We shall pretend the third movie does not exist. The third movie, a cheating, thieving, conniving prequel of a movie, is marked by the nearly complete absence of Selene, is set in the distant past, and is therefore definitely the worst. But then there's the fourth movie. Awakening boldly drove the ailing franchise down a scifi path, setting the story several years into a future where everyone now knows there are vampires and werewolves and a great purge of their kind has taken place. At the same time, Awakening ups the kungfu gore to 11. That's a pretty great direction for this kind of franchise. Naturally, in the fifth movie, this year's Blood Wars, they just forget all about that and pull the same old gothic vampire crap again. All the Underworld movies so often have the opportunity to do great stuff with their characters and storylines and then... they don't. However...

Underworldbfbfbfbfbf bfbfbfbfbf
Evolutionbfbfbfbfbf bfbfbfbfbf
Rise of The Lycansasasasasas  bqbqbqbqbq
Awakeningbfbfbfbfbf akakakakak
Blood Warsawawawawaw

« Reply #2113 on: April 09, 2017, 03:25:56 AM »
The Great Wall (2016)

Granted, I watch things like Underworld and Resident Evil, but dang it, this is not a bad movie! It's not especially Chinese, and the first, say, fifteen minutes or so are a bit overly self important, but once you work out this is a monster movie and Matt Damon is the quippy hero leaving room for the "strong woman" heroine, the whole thing's fine goddammit! Resident Evil and Underworld have better quippy heroes and more horrible monsters, but The Great Wall has a great wall and a better executed "story", so there. Mistaking this movie for art or essential drama has maybe led to some of the really bad reviews, but this movie is very notably better than some of the more recent historical-epic-with-a-foreigner adventures we have seen in recent years. It doesn't really deserve the scorn that's been heaped upon it.

bfbfbfbfbf bfbfbfbfbf

« Reply #2114 on: April 11, 2017, 01:57:11 AM »
Ghost in the Shell (Kōkaku Kidōtai) (1995)

Alarmingly meditative. Has guns.

bfbfbfbfbf bfbfbfbfbf bfbfbfbfbf

M1 (Making of Cyborg) - Kenji Kawai