in laws

• 27 replies
Re: in laws
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2012, 12:23:57 AM »
I have been to several Chinese weddings and it's an ordeal for me being a guest, let alone being at the centre of the thing plus all the planning......it's the thought of dressing up like prince-bloody-charming for those horribly twee and staged pre-wedding photos that really gives me the heebie-jeebies though...

just say NO!
两只老外, 两只老外,跑得快,跑得快,
一个是老酒鬼,一个是老色鬼,真奇怪, 真奇怪

Escaped Lunatic

• Finding new ways to conquer the world
    • EscapedLunatic.com
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2012, 02:32:03 PM »
Wimps! pppppppppp
I'm pro-cloning and we vote!               Why isn't this card colored green?
EscapedLunatic.com

« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2012, 04:36:49 AM »
see, EL, I think you pretty much pulled it off in your wedding photos. dunno why. beard and devel-may-care attitude maybe.

I (and most men), however, would look like a complete and utter tit.
两只老外, 两只老外,跑得快,跑得快,
一个是老酒鬼,一个是老色鬼,真奇怪, 真奇怪

« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2012, 05:07:08 AM »
The women don't have it much better! Aside from the white wedding dress and the tang zhuang, most of the other outfits for us look like something that might have been worn to the Newark High School prom, circa 1985.

Escaped Lunatic

• Finding new ways to conquer the world
    • EscapedLunatic.com
« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2012, 05:51:30 PM »
The women don't have it much better! Aside from the white wedding dress and the tang zhuang, most of the other outfits for us look like something that might have been worn to the Newark High School prom, circa 1985.

Yeah, I had to veto a few of those. kkkkkkkkkk

I'm still sad I couldn't talk my darling into the matching PLA uniforms. ananananan
I'm pro-cloning and we vote!               Why isn't this card colored green?
EscapedLunatic.com

psd4fan

• 在哈尔滨黑龙江中国
    • WillExcel TESOL
« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2012, 09:58:01 PM »
Sounds pretty much text book to me. We bought a new bed and when my wife was tellin mama she asked if it would hold me.  ahahahahah ahahahahah ahahahahah

« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2012, 02:09:00 PM »
MinL has been staying with us for several weeks now, and we're almost used to one another now. It's been tough, but we have one small room that I use as a study, and she's learned not to come in and mess with my mess.
We have a futon in our bedroom. Last year we got a new mattress and cover made for it, so that guests can stay overnight and sleep in our living room. MinL complains that its too soft, so while I'm at work, she and my wife switch it for our bed, which is much firmer. After one night on the futon, my wife agrees its too soft for her too, so she decides to sleep on our daughter's twin bed, and our daughter can share the big bed with grandma. I'm OK with either. After one night, no I'm not. I don't mind my daughter's very firm matress, but I do mind the fact that her bed is a twin and too bloody small for two adults, especially one who rolls side to side as he sleeps. So I decide to sleep on the futon (where she stacks the blankets, as if it were the kang at her mother's home) and she can have the kid's bed. Not good enough for her. Next time I come home from work, the daughter's small bed is in teh living room and both the futon/kang and the large bed are in our bedroom. It seems to be working, as it's been at least 3 days since anyone suggested that I move out and get my own apartment.

« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2012, 01:51:55 AM »
What is their obsession with keeping you warm?

My MiL and FiL constantly look at me and ask me if I'm cold and even if I say no, one of them will bring some kind of shirt or jacket to put around me. Also, even if I say no they will ask every 10 minutes, between offerings of bananas, nuts and all sorts of food  llllllllll

They are lovely, really, but these little things do drive me just a little bit mad. I guess it's just that in the west have the mindset that you should fly the nest and cut the umbilical cord ASAP. It's totally the opposite here.

Stil

• ChangshaNotes
« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2012, 02:12:14 AM »
They are just showing you that they care about you. Try and take it as a big compliment. They are basically doing the best thing they can do for you. They are treating you as family.

« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2012, 03:10:27 AM »
They are just showing you that they care about you. Try and take it as a big compliment. They are basically doing the best thing they can do for you. They are treating you as family.

Yeah I get that. I still think they are awesome. I'm just happy they are modern-minded enough to entrust their lovely daughter to a western brute like me  ahahahahah

psd4fan

• 在哈尔滨黑龙江中国
    • WillExcel TESOL
« Reply #25 on: May 30, 2012, 03:46:50 AM »
What is their obsession with keeping you warm?

My MiL and FiL constantly look at me and ask me if I'm cold and even if I say no, one of them will bring some kind of shirt or jacket to put around me. Also, even if I say no they will ask every 10 minutes, between offerings of bananas, nuts and all sorts of food  llllllllll

They are lovely, really, but these little things do drive me just a little bit mad. I guess it's just that in the west have the mindset that you should fly the nest and cut the umbilical cord ASAP. It's totally the opposite here.
It seems their metabolisms run a little colder than in the West so they feel cold easier than we do and can't accept that only one layer is fine in April.

Monkey King

« Reply #26 on: May 30, 2012, 04:36:58 AM »
This temperature thing is also one of those China contradictions though.

Ever visited a Chinese home in the countryside over Spring Festival?

I have - Zhejiang, mountains, Jan/Feb, temperatures just over zero and damp with it....No heating whatsoever  and doors left wide open for visitors...coldest 3 days of my life I tell ya...it was painfully cold, and I am Scottish, heavy, hairy and shun heat as a general rule!

« Reply #27 on: May 30, 2012, 04:40:44 AM »
I have - Zhejiang, mountains, Jan/Feb, temperatures just over zero and damp with it....No heating whatsoever  and doors left wide open for visitors...coldest 3 days of my life I tell ya...it was painfully cold, and I am Scottish, heavy, hairy and shun heat as a general rule!

ahahahahah ahahahahah

this is where baijiu comes in
两只老外, 两只老外,跑得快,跑得快,
一个是老酒鬼,一个是老色鬼,真奇怪, 真奇怪