Things locals do that drive you insane.

• 140 replies
Re: Things locals do that drive you insane.
« Reply #75 on: April 21, 2012, 03:47:40 AM »
A very small yet annoying thing.

I decided to treat myself to some Chivas Regal, so I went to my new super Lianhua supermarket to get the booze and one or two other items I have forgotten on my last tour there.

I love onions, and I was low on them (I cook onions in almost everything) and picked up two purple onions plastic wrapped that was attractively displayed. Buy my booze and go to the counter.

The onions had no price on them. What is annoying is that this has happened several times over the years, me buying something with no price tag on them. The cashier sees this, then coyly sets them aside hoping that I do not notice this. I always do because I would not buy it if I did not want it.

I mean, it is so simple. Anything put out in a supermarket sales floor should have a price on it. You can't just set it aside and say, "Sorry, no price." and let it go at that. The place was not busy and although I was not dying for onions per se (I have a half one at home), I am basically going to stick around here and cook and I make a salad with lots of onions, not to mention my eggs and other things.

Other markets pull this crap too, especially for produce. One would think if one buys a prewrapped amount of vegetables, that there is a price, and I have gotten mad at them for it. I wasn't mad (and I wasn't) but I called the manager over and did my weiguoren "外身me" bit. I asked another girl to get me another two onions, but she was so slow and inconvenienced over the whole thing, I said forget it and paid for my stuff I had and left.

It's a small and practical thing for foreigners living in China, if in a large retail place that is mostly a supermarket, make sure everything has a price. Especially vegetables, fruits and eggs. They forget (why, I cannot imagine), it gets on the sales floor, and it is almost impossible to make a worker go back and get what you want if they screw up.

Chinese are a scope of opposites. One example I use. Chinese are so hard working (and they are) but they are so f'ing lazy ....AT THE SAME TIME! Like I said, it is only 4 quai onions, it will save my breath from something (like embarrassment), but still....annoying.

« Last Edit: April 21, 2012, 04:19:04 AM by Senor Boogie Woogie »

NATO

« Reply #76 on: April 21, 2012, 06:23:46 AM »
Haha, it seems you're wound up pretty tight eh Senor? Hope you get your onions, without 'incident' next time.  agagagagag

« Reply #77 on: April 21, 2012, 12:14:46 PM »
Chinese are a scope of opposites. One example I use. Chinese are so hard working (and they are) but they are so f'ing lazy ....AT THE SAME TIME! Like I said, it is only 4 quai onions, it will save my breath from something (like embarrassment), but still....annoying.

ha ha, I like this. seems to ring true for me. perhaps it's a case of conserving energy for the long haul, cos some Chinese do work ridonculous hours.
两只老外, 两只老外,跑得快,跑得快,
一个是老酒鬼,一个是老色鬼,真奇怪, 真奇怪

kitano

• Children of the Atom
« Reply #78 on: April 21, 2012, 02:25:02 PM »
I always always explain to my students that in France and Holland the normal working week is only 35 hours but everything works better than in China where it's more like 50 hours because people working 50 hours a week are tired and unenthusiastic

'It's not the hours you put in, it's what you put in the hours'

« Reply #79 on: April 21, 2012, 07:23:37 PM »
b]The constant talking. Chattering on about this and that. Asking inane, unanswerable questions all the time.[/b]

The chatterbox culture. They go out of their way to ask questions about nothing and talk, talk, talk, talk, talk, talk, talk, and talk some more.

Chinese television is awful. 90% awful. A bunch of talkers, gawkers, noise, yelling and stupidity. Many

The Chinese cannot cobble together a football (soccer) team. Uh, there are 1,400,000,000 motherfukkas here. Lets do the math, 700 million men, with probably over 200 million men between the ages of 15 and 30. Let's lower it to a number that everyone would agree, 150 million men, higher than the population of the whole of Britian or France. 150 million men available and they can't make a football team.

The game of soccer is easy, run your ass off chasing a ball and try to put it n a goal. Bore the shit out of the crowd to the point that drink themselves stupid and start a riot. A girlie sport.

/snip You've crossed a line here. Lighthearted griping about China is one thing, maligning an entire group is another -TLD
« Last Edit: April 22, 2012, 07:14:41 AM by The Local Dialect »

George

• My view of China
« Reply #80 on: April 21, 2012, 11:43:24 PM »
Mygonistic trolls is all a Chinese man is.
Trouble with getting old is you forget a few words now and then. Like, I've forgotten what "mygonistic" means!  ahahahahah ahahahahah Silly me! I do realise that there is a conflict in number in that sentence, though!
The higher they fly, the fewer!    http://neilson.aminus3.com/

kitano

• Children of the Atom
« Reply #81 on: April 22, 2012, 06:38:05 AM »
you overplayed your hand there sr. we can all see your cards now

« Reply #82 on: April 22, 2012, 07:18:36 AM »
I've edited a few of the more recent posts here. I don't want to lock the whole thing, but I will if I have to.

Venting about China and the cultural differences that we find hard to accept is one thing, being blatantly hateful is another.

« Reply #83 on: April 22, 2012, 08:00:43 AM »
I totally agree with you LD.  Not a nice post  llllllllll 
Be kind to dragons for thou are crunchy when roasted and taste good with brie.

NATO

« Reply #84 on: April 22, 2012, 07:36:24 PM »
The onions were a sign...time for a break maybe?

gonzo

« Reply #85 on: April 22, 2012, 08:29:53 PM »
Maybe the Chivas Regal. That was a whiskey rant.
RIP Phil Stephens.
No static at all.

« Reply #86 on: April 22, 2012, 10:19:20 PM »
Well...I always look for a barcode on my purchases, especially when it comes to vegetables, since it is customarary in just about all countries in the world to weigh your veggies...As for griping about Chinese TV, music, locals talking too much etc...don't see the point really...if so many things in China makes you angry then a plane ticket home is a good cure  agagagagag agagagagag

Things locals do that annoy me...hmmm...they smoke at my gym, that is rather annoying. Stupid really. Why smoke at a gym?
"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination." Oscar Wilde.

"It's all oojah cum spiffy". Bertie Wooster.
"The stars are God's daisy chain" Madeleine Bassett.

kitano

• Children of the Atom
« Reply #87 on: April 22, 2012, 10:53:40 PM »
Maybe the Chivas Regal. That was a whiskey rant.

Haha

Friday 'something annoying happened in the supermarket buying whiskey'
Saturday 'ffffufuuuuuuuuuuu...'

« Reply #88 on: April 23, 2012, 03:57:32 AM »
Well...I always look for a barcode on my purchases, especially when it comes to vegetables, since it is customarary in just about all countries in the world to weigh your veggies...As for griping about Chinese TV, music, locals talking too much etc...don't see the point really...if so many things in China makes you angry then a plane ticket home is a good cure  agagagagag agagagagag

Things locals do that annoy me...hmmm...they smoke at my gym, that is rather annoying. Stupid really. Why smoke at a gym?

Eric, you've been quite the ranty-pooper of late. There ARE legitimate reasons to gripe about living in China, and threads like this in the saloon are surely exactly the sort of safety valve that might just be needed...

I get p-offed at Laowais moaning about this that and the other too, but I'd like to think that the old-hands that be ranting in the above thread have earned the right, somewhat...  (racism or whatever was deleted aside - I missed the posts in question)  agagagagag
两只老外, 两只老外,跑得快,跑得快,
一个是老酒鬼,一个是老色鬼,真奇怪, 真奇怪

« Reply #89 on: April 23, 2012, 05:47:22 AM »
True, and a good rant about things like manners and such is understandable...but ranting about the quality of Chinese TV??? Really? I mean, I dislike it too and then...presto...I turn off the TV...but if it is so necessary to rave about things like the quality of TV and habits of the locals in a country which, I might add, never asked any of us to come to in the first place, then go ahead. It seems pointless to me...but proceed, it seems this place is turning into a whining central complaining about China...I will leave you and the rest of the members so inclined to do so...you will hear no more rant-busting from me.
"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination." Oscar Wilde.

"It's all oojah cum spiffy". Bertie Wooster.
"The stars are God's daisy chain" Madeleine Bassett.