Assessment for listening

• 5 replies
Assessment for listening
« on: November 03, 2014, 03:30:19 AM »
I drew the short straw this semester and have the 13 week English Listening course for about 400 ss (8 classes). (tho I do like the short semester!)All Accounting majors,  freshmen, and not many who really like English. Probably about 30 ss are very good English speakers, the rest varying degrees from poor to 'so-so' (In their mind) some are quite good, but most have poor listening skills.

My problem is how to assess these guys. They've had a couple of group 'tests' and there's a written coming up, but I am really at a loss as to what to do for their main assessment.  Another teacher has suggested a listening exercise with song lyrics and this may be OK, but has anyone any suggestions of easy songs (or maybe poems,)I could use?  Most of these guys are only high school standard and I must admit I'm not really up on what may be interesting music to them.

Any suggestions, ANY ideas at all would be most appreciated.
I've fallen in love with the world.....

gonzo

Re: Assessment for listening
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2014, 10:23:13 AM »
As any listening test will also involve written (or spoken) responses, remember you won't just be assessing listening.
You could try a dictogloss. You could teach the process with students working in groups, as is traditional, but coach the class to the point where they can do it individually. Its a good way of teaching learners how to listen for gist, to summarise, and then to focus on specific pieces of information. There's heaps on the internet, but here's one e.g.

www2.klett.de/sixcms/media.php/10/A08105-53990004_EU_Dictogloss_EB.pdf
« Last Edit: November 03, 2014, 01:18:37 PM by gonzo »
RIP Phil Stephens.
No static at all.

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2014, 06:02:49 PM »
I'm actually doing a dictogloss exercise this week and will be giving marks - that's why I wanted something a bit different for the major assessment.

This has worked well, I've already done it with a poem, and this week is a short story similar to what you mentioned. The ss like this type of exercise as they say they get to think and talk about things in a different way to what the Chinese teachers tell them.  I was looking for something else a bit different.

Tree

• This personal text is false.
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2014, 11:29:11 PM »
If you like watching movies and TV shows keep an open ear for any short segments you might be able to use. In the past the TV show Friends was popular for listening practice, so perhaps something like the Big Bang Theory now? Obviously not all of it is level appropriate, but you might be able to find a few minutes worth here and there.
The greatest and most important problems of life are all in a certain sense insoluble. They can never be solved, but only outgrown.
- Jung

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2014, 12:16:28 AM »
I've never used BBT but everyone here seems to like it, so I'll have a try with that. This week has been exhausting with dictogloss but I did get some great results, particularly with some of the ss who supposedly had poor English.

Cynicd05

• Never knew pigs are so adorable, #nobeasto.
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2014, 08:22:10 AM »
I haven't taught but as I studied another language. My teacher almost always did orals for exam. However, for 400 students that would be a pain in the bum.

Then there was the stereotypical, listen to a conversation in French then answer some questions to test comprehension.

Feels like I have to ship myself to a language mill. :(