A Hard Rain's Gonna Fall... (THE VISA NIGHTMARE!)

• 545 replies
Re: A Hard Rain's Gonna Fall... (THE VISA NIGHTMARE!)
« Reply #240 on: July 03, 2008, 07:15:55 PM »
All we get is the Residence Permit in our passports and it is very legal.  That is all I have had for the last 3 years and have been in and out of the country.
Be kind to dragons for thou are crunchy when roasted and taste good with brie.

Stil

• ChangshaNotes
« Reply #241 on: July 03, 2008, 08:06:02 PM »
You need a 'Z' Visa to enter China for the purposes of work. It is then converted into a Residence Permit that replaces the 'Z' Visa allowing you to work and reside in China.

Once you have a Residence Permit it can be renewed annually. The 'Z' visa is no longer necessary.

If your Residence Permit has expired, you need to start the proces over again, meaning obtaining a 'Z' visa outside of China to be converted into a Residence Permit once here.

The process of converting 'L' and 'F' visas into 'Z' visas is not supposed to be done, however in the past it was allowed. Now it seems the letter of the law is being held to and conversions of this type are not being issued.

What is happening now is not a change in the rules but a more strict adherence to them.

I have had no 'Z' visa for 4 years but have been legal due to my Residence Permit.

The Foreign Expert Certificate is to show that your job (which is essential for your company) cannot be done by a Chinese National and so your company has had to hire outside of the country. This certificate is tied to the company. A company without legal standing to hire foreigners cannot obtain it. If your Foreign Experts Certificate has the name of another company on it, then you have been 'loaned' out. The legality of this is murky at best.

The Certificate of Health Examination is needed to obtain both the Residence Permit and the Foreign Experts Certificate. It is to make sure you are not introducing any foreign nasties that could disrupt the harmonious healthiness of the people of the Middle Kingdom.

In the past there have been many work arounds but now this is what you should be looking for.

Raoul F. Duke

• Lovable Rogue
  • "Be specific if you order the mushrooms!"
« Reply #242 on: July 03, 2008, 08:32:56 PM »
Couldn'a said it better. Stil is a genius, for such a knucklehead. agagagagag
"Vicodin and dumplings...it's a great combination!" (Anthony Bourdain, in Harbin)

"Here in China we aren't just teaching...
we're building the corrupt, incompetent, baijiu-swilling buttheads of tomorrow!" (Raoul F. Duke)

Raoul F. Duke

• Lovable Rogue
« Reply #243 on: July 03, 2008, 08:39:19 PM »
They don't give "Z" visas to people already in the country! You get a "Z" visa to ENTER the country to work. Then you get a Residence Permit!!

Sorry George but you're wrong. I haven't left here since arriving on a tourist visa 3 & 1/2 years ago and since I've had 4, about to be 5 Z visas issued to me whilst in country.

I believe ya, Wags, but something is seriously awry here.
It sounds like you've either been getting a Z Visa every time you've gotten a new Residence Permit, which is totally unnecessary, OR you're getting Z visas but no Residence Permit, which makes you technically illegal.
The new Residence Permits look a LOT like the old Z visas now. Are you sure you're reading this right?
Something is terribly wrong here... bibibibibi
"Vicodin and dumplings...it's a great combination!" (Anthony Bourdain, in Harbin)

we're building the corrupt, incompetent, baijiu-swilling buttheads of tomorrow!" (Raoul F. Duke)

« Reply #244 on: July 05, 2008, 02:52:57 AM »

Hola!

Got my residence visa today!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! jjjjjjjjjj

Senor afafafafaf

AMonk

« Reply #245 on: July 05, 2008, 04:57:00 AM »
 agagagagag agagagagag Congratulations!! agagagagag agagagagag
Moderation....in most things...

Riz

« Reply #246 on: July 05, 2008, 05:31:01 AM »
Here's Riz's tale:
1 - Having received my Release Letter from my FAO last week, I went to see my to-be employer. I presented my passport with Residence Permit(expires on 30 July), EC and Health Check certificate. As she looked at my entry and exit dates that say 12 Feb(exit) and 21Feb(entry), she asked me to show some kinda document from PSB Changsha( city where I live). I later realized that my FAO should have reported to the PSB about the period I was away but it did not. I've got everything document but that piece of paper.

2- My two other colleagues who shifted their apartments and went to another part of the city had had the same problem.It happened the same day by chance and we all had given calls to our FAO.The lady who deals with such matters has  been grounded for corruption and forgery but she's not been fired for some reason. She refused to help anyone of us.Another woman ( an arrogant character) referred us to the first woman who has already denied to rescue the situation.We three contacted the director of FAO who hardly speaks English. Nothing fruitful came out of all the calls.

3- My American colleague's wife is a Chinese and she's smart! Smart enough to deal with such issues.She called someone in the Police Deptt who is kinda help for foreigners in Changsha. Only 10 minutes later, my colleague received a call from the FAO that they would arrange that entry-exit document soon. Both of them have got it the other day.

4- Changsha is suffering from power-cut or load shedding ritual nowadays. I had two meetings with my Director regarding the issue. He always calls the girls who work in the office and I am sure they just don't care what he says. " Electricity is cut-off " is the answer that I have heard twice. Tomorrow is Saturday. Police do not work two days.

My Visa expires on 30 July 2008. I am left with 26 days only.Weekends are off.

"I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals."
Short and funny quotes, Winston Churchill.

Ruth

« Reply #247 on: July 05, 2008, 01:33:19 PM »
Well, that's a heads-up for me.  I never reported to my uni the dates I was leaving and re-entering the country (beyond 'I'm going to Canada for Spring Festival), so you can be sure they never reported anything to the PSB.  Hope it doesn't come back to bite me.

Hope you get the piece of paper you need, Riz, and especially your new Res Permit.
If you want to walk on water, you have to get out of the boat.

« Reply #248 on: July 05, 2008, 02:55:52 PM »
I wasn't asked for PSB documents but I was asked to present besides letter of release with a paper from labour bureau about termination of employment. In Zhuhai no matter what visa you are obtaining, if you were on residence with work purpose these two letters are a must to provide.

« Reply #249 on: July 05, 2008, 11:25:57 PM »
I got mine back, finally.  My school got guanxi!

I heard the first report of a 12 month Type-Z visa being procured.  It's happening again, at least somewhere. bfbfbfbfbf
And there is no liar like the indignant man... -Nietszche

Nothing is so fatiguing as the eternal hanging on of an uncompleted task. -William James

englishmoose.com

Riz

« Reply #250 on: July 06, 2008, 08:32:03 PM »
I got down with fever and bloody cough recently. I stopped smoking and my gf brought me that black thick syrup that's sweet but too viscous. It works! Quitting smoking and swallowing that medicine gave me enough strength to shout at That woman called Jane who's job is to work for us which she does not.
So this noon when I got up, I went straight to her on 3rd floor and yelled at her asking about that goddanm document.All her arrogance and stiff-necked attiude vanished in the friction of a second.I told her in a straightforward way that I would get a lawyer and I would go to the police to report of this treatemnt of yours and not making that entry-exit document available to me.24 days are left for my visa validity.It expires on 30th July.

She got paranoid and promised me to arrange it for me by tomorrow. Lousy Bi**h!
"I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals."

joe.thinker

• kaleidoscope sex on a sea of cat fur
« Reply #251 on: July 06, 2008, 10:07:39 PM »
I got down with fever and bloody cough recently. I stopped smoking and my gf brought me that black thick syrup that's sweet but too viscous. It works! Quitting smoking and swallowing that medicine gave me enough strength to shout at That woman called Jane who's job is to work for us which she does not.
So this noon when I got up, I went straight to her on 3rd floor and yelled at her asking about that goddanm document.All her arrogance and stiff-necked attiude vanished in the friction of a second.I told her in a straightforward way that I would get a lawyer and I would go to the police to report of this treatemnt of yours and not making that entry-exit document available to me.24 days are left for my visa validity.It expires on 30th July.

She got paranoid and promised me to arrange it for me by tomorrow. Lousy Bi**h!

offtopic
something with upside down question marks, accents under "c" and prolific punctuation will do

Raoul F. Duke

• Lovable Rogue
« Reply #252 on: July 06, 2008, 10:28:41 PM »
Yeah, kinda. Riz is new. agagagagag

« Reply #253 on: July 07, 2008, 02:52:24 AM »
Actually it is only a tiny bit off topic. uuuuuuuuuu

His previous post was that he couldn't get his visa until he got a piece of paper about him leaving and proof of exit papers.  This is something new about visa's.  His FAO was giving him the gears. bibibibibi

This post is about him being strong and demanding the paper.  It had off-topic parts to it but it was referencing his previous post about his visa. agagagagag agagagagag
Be kind to dragons for thou are crunchy when roasted and taste good with brie.

Riz

« Reply #254 on: July 07, 2008, 09:21:42 AM »
Yeah Raoul is right saying I am kinda new here. I did not know where to post my previous mail and I really wanted to share my feelings with my unseen friends. Thanks to Dragonsaver for backing me up that I am a little bit on topic.Yesterday happened to be very lucky day for me infact.I was interviewed by a kindergarten Principal and I did a demo class with 5 year olds for 30 min. That demo went awesome and I got selected. I am going to sign a contract with that school.It's called 'Joy' and it's got a license to hire foreigners.5000 yuan a month,16 hours,furnished house and everything that I want from this job.

And yes, to be on topic, They will provide me with a residence permit and and EC in 5 days.I plan to invite my all the friends from Raoul's Saloon for a toast once my extended visa is in my hand.
Congrats to me! agagagagag