New Laptop

• 67 replies

Tree

• This personal text is false.
Re: New Laptop
« Reply #45 on: February 09, 2014, 07:08:35 PM »
I have a something phone and no pad of any kind. 

I giggled. Can we get this added to the quote thread?
The greatest and most important problems of life are all in a certain sense insoluble. They can never be solved, but only outgrown.
- Jung

« Reply #46 on: February 09, 2014, 11:49:52 PM »
My current computer (PC-approaching 4 years) is losing puff (seems to just shut itself off on a whim at least once a day!). So I bit the bullet and went to Apple HK yesterday (was staying in the city anyway seeing as I haven't been able to shower for 2 weeks!!!!) and bought my first Mac (13" Air). They are extremely helpful there and didn't feel pressured to buy at all- they gave me the facts and even ensured it was for me (they said so many just buy it for gaming and it's such a waste of money!). After buying, they helped me set everything up, and spent an hour with me learning the basics.

I'm converted!
10 easy steps to stop procrastination.

old34

« Reply #47 on: February 10, 2014, 02:44:25 AM »
 agagagagag agagagagag agagagagag

Did you show them your FEC and get the Education discount?

One of the (few) benefits of the FEC.

Edit: Just noticed you bought yours in HK. You probably need a HK school ID to get the education discount there, but the FEC def works in Apple Stores in China (but not for iPhones).
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad. - B. O'Driscoll.
TIC is knowing that, in China, your fruit salad WILL come with cherry tomatoes AND all slathered in mayo. - old34.

old34

« Reply #48 on: February 10, 2014, 02:45:41 AM »
There's an Apple Thread here at the Saloon if you have any specific questions.

http://raoulschinasaloon.com/index.php?topic=8528.15

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad. - B. O'Driscoll.
TIC is knowing that, in China, your fruit salad WILL come with cherry tomatoes AND all slathered in mayo. - old34.

« Reply #49 on: February 11, 2014, 03:18:53 PM »
Hey Old 34

No, but I did mention I was a teacher and what I needed the computer for, lesson planning bla bla bla, but they didn't mention the discount- I guess, as you mentioned, because I am a mainlander. Nice that the FEC does work in Apple in China, but a. I don't even have it on me, and b. I did check the prices in Apple Shenzhen- holy mackerell! It was even worth the extra train ticket money to SAVE money in HK!
10 easy steps to stop procrastination.

« Reply #50 on: March 15, 2014, 01:00:50 PM »
Does anyone know if it is even remotely possible to buy a laptop with legal, non-cracked, Windows 7 in English installed in China? I was looking at the machines on Amazon but still confused...
"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination." Oscar Wilde.

"It's all oojah cum spiffy". Bertie Wooster.
"The stars are God's daisy chain" Madeleine Bassett.

eggcluck

• Still standing
« Reply #51 on: July 24, 2014, 07:37:04 PM »
Also buying a new laptop from JD. You would think an online company that delivers could actually..well deliver stuff. Apparently not, they have no computer of that type in Suzhou so I cant order.

The sheer stupidity of it. Should they not do what a online company should do.......deliver one?. Am I missing something here?
Still standing

Nolefan

• Lord of Avalon
  • 八九不离十
    • Catania Vibe
« Reply #52 on: July 24, 2014, 10:57:10 PM »
Also buying a new laptop from JD. You would think an online company that delivers could actually..well deliver stuff. Apparently not, they have no computer of that type in Suzhou so I cant order.

The sheer stupidity of it. Should they not do what a online company should do.......deliver one?. Am I missing something here?
try to order it from another city... they have a strange system like that to assure speedy delivery.
you can technically order it from Shanghai/Beijing but it will take a little longer. Or just go to your local computer shop, print out the JD price and they should give it to you for more or less the same deal. The icing on buying locally is that your warranty work will be faster.
alors régressons fatalement, eternellement. Des débutants, avec la peur comme exutoire à l'ignorance et Alzheimer en prof d'histoire de nos enfances!
- Random food, music and geek tales from the Catania, Sicily: http://ctvibe.com

eggcluck

• Still standing
« Reply #53 on: July 27, 2014, 05:15:53 AM »
Thanks but local vendors do not quite have what I am looking for, but I decided to splash out on a more expensive number hoping for a longer term saving ^^ ...and it is available here.

Well two actually one is the MSI GE40 2PC-490XCN and the other is GE60 2PE-448XCN, I hear the cooling on the MSI systems is not so great but I do not intend to beat the hell out of them, and they appear to give better bang for the buck than lenovo and ASUS ( who are charging way above double the US price on the ROG models). Ironically there is an MSI dealer in Hangzhou but I am currently not in the home area for summer ( go figure ^^).

The GE60 is 2000 RMB more than the GE40. Both come with no OS so I will just burn a linux distro or aquire a win 7 iso.

the 40 is a 4712MQ and the GE60 is a 4700HQ , There seem to be pretty much the same but the MQ has a lower power  drain (supposedly 21% more efficient) and a lower clock.
http://www.cpu-world.com/Compare/5/Intel_Core_i7_Mobile_i7-4700HQ_vs_Intel_Core_i7_Mobile_i7-4712MQ.html

Essentially I would pay 2000 more for an extra inch on the screen moving from a 850M to a 860M (maxwell not kepler) +4GB THX sound, +1 K.G,  and the MSI Keyboard engine and a fancy multicoloured customisable back light ( which I have no use for) Of course the GE60 also has in my opinion a much better appearance.

I wonder is all that really worth the extra 2000RMB?
« Last Edit: July 27, 2014, 05:21:18 AM by eggcluck »
Still standing

eggcluck

• Still standing
« Reply #54 on: July 29, 2014, 05:14:39 AM »
Well I went ahead and bought the more expensive one, that bigger screen and THX theater sound are really worth it.

Just the sound alone, omg what a difference! And the screen...I never knew how pale and washed out my old screen was till I saw the depth in this one.
Still standing

BrandeX

« Reply #55 on: July 29, 2014, 11:27:42 PM »
Does anyone know if it is even remotely possible to buy a laptop with legal, non-cracked, Windows 7 in English installed in China? I was looking at the machines on Amazon but still confused...
Apparently it is. I just acquired a laptop with a legit Chinese install of Win 7 Pro complete with COA sticker. It was a slightly used machine from my wife's company. After winning the raffle to get a chance at one, it was only 150rmb, and in barely used condition.

« Reply #56 on: September 07, 2014, 03:14:38 AM »
Where do you guys order your PCs from? I'm looking to order a gaming PC sooner or later this year, just trying to find a good mid range gaming PC, while this PC shall be passed down to the little laopo.
Red October Red October Red October BLACK!

BrandeX

« Reply #57 on: September 10, 2014, 07:07:52 PM »
America

« Reply #58 on: September 11, 2014, 10:05:27 PM »
Don't plan on going back there for quite some time, nor do I maintain an American CC.
Although ordering from the US would be doable, but I'm not certain if Chinese Union Pay works over seas.
Red October Red October Red October BLACK!

eggcluck

• Still standing
« Reply #59 on: September 12, 2014, 06:27:13 PM »
I got mine from JD.com in the end, though take note that they are always more expensive than the same model in the west (considerably more) and many of them come with freedos as the OS so you need to have your own OS ready to install.
Still standing